Net Transfer Spend

• Thread starter Thread starter Frank
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 8K

Frank

Hobbs
Reaction score
The table below represents the clubs per season net spend on purchasing players from the beginning of the premiership season 1992/93 to date. Purchases is the total spent on buying players, sold is the total received from the sale players and net is Purchased minus sold giving a total of the money spend on players . The per season column gives an average of the money spend in each season in the corresponding period. If you click on the teams name in the left hand column of the page you will get a precise breakdown of each individual clubs transfer details.

I think it shows how good a job Wenger has done, to be so far down, yet finish in the top four every season. As for Tottenham....

netspend.png

http://transferleague.co.uk/

Last edited:
So where did Portmouth's money went to?!

Anyway, at least Man Utd isn't even the top 5. C.Ronaldo helped a lot though.

Lol Tottenham and Villa fail. What do the minuses mean? They've gained more than they've lost? This table is really confusing :S

Although without the sale of Ronaldo I think United would be 3rd..

Interesting to see Fulham do high, we did spend a lot of money under Tigana though and Sanchez's short spell.

I doubt these numbers are completely accurate, a certain degree of guess work must have been used.

Yeah I was thinking that, how does this website know how much every transfer is? :S

Especially as there are so many clauses in deals, for example the Aquilani deal..

Newcastle have spent more than Arsenal..

Hope we spend big next season! Need a fair few quality players brought in if we are to stay up.

The idea behind this site is to give an indication of how much English soccer clubs spend on players and how that spending reflects on the clubs performances. It can never be 100% accurate because in some instances clubs do not release the details of transfers and we rely on media reports for the details. In some instances I record the fee as undisclosed as I can not find a reliable source for the information. There is the same margin for error with all club figures so the figures should be a reasonably accurate reflection of reality

Interesting find there Frankie, Have to praise Blackburn and Bolton. They seem to have hardly spent anything and continue to stay in the league.

Interesting read... I'm surprised we've spent so little, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, we're high up on that table which I expected, but I also imagined the season spend would be higher than it is. Well done, Levy, just a shame the team has been so inconsistent since the departure of Martin Jol.

I'm also rather surprised to see Liverpool above us, but I suppose the purchase of 20 million bench-warmers will do that to a club's outgoings.

As for Arsenal doing "well", to be honest with you, Arsenal's outgoings before the Emirates were comparable with most teams in the league, and only since the building of their new stadium have they begun to cut back on the transfer front. However, this is also where their quest for silverware came to an end, as I'm under the impression they haven't won a single thing since their "Invincibles" fell apart.

The reason Arsenal have managed to sustain their position despite spending, is because they had a good backbone to begin with, and a 'winning mentality', if you will. If the quality of the league was just a little bit better (in the form of consistency for other teams), then I do believe Arsenal would have dropped down the 'rankings' of the table a couple of seasons ago. As it is, they have gone from a team that used to win the title regularly, to one who, at best, can finish in the top four to earn that extra revenue.

So you may believe that Wenger has done a good job, but in fairness, his frugality has potentially cost Arsenal their trophies for a number of seasons now. Well done though on finishing in the top four consistently though. :)

Nice to see Leeds are in the profit. Thank you Mr. Bates, just hope our fans would see what you've done.

Back