New blood - bad blood?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sparkle22
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 0
  • Views Views 584

Sparkle22

Reaction score
Hi,

I (always) manage a lower league team. (In Sweden this time around.)

First season, against all expectation I sail through to promotion untouched. Second season in the league above, I start poorly, but end up unbeatable and top the division - and against all the odds are about to be promoted - unheard of for a club of my size etc.

Through no fault of mine that I can see or any obvious changes - we lose/draw the last 5 games of the season and end in 3rd - still a mighty result, however.

My first question is, what should I be looking out for to prevent this happening apart from warning against complacency (which just seems to annoy the players) or holding a meeting to stop their heads dropping (which somehow seems to annoy the players also!) - what is the key? Is it fatigue - (the Swedish season is short so that shouldn't be a factor).

And secondly - to apparently compound the problem, I brought in quite a few (7) new players in the off-season and 6 games in, I have LDDLLL. And it just seems to be going from bad to worse.

I know that new blood in the dressing room can affect the performance of the regulars - but is it really this bad?
I haven't really been starting the new guys yet - but the original team just can't get a win. The new guys I have brought on are all 'nervous' and just make it worse. And I have done the private chat thing to death and they keep telling me they're gonna shape up - but my dog could do better.

Any ideas?

Back