I was sort of thinking the same thing -- combine an FM14 purchase with the purchase of a new laptop. I have this bad problem where my "computer performance" rating is at a half star so loading any more than one country at a time means 2 stars or less for my "game speed" option. Any advice?

You should definitely check out www.box.co.uk, i got my laptop from there last year and it's still going strong, also get a lot more for your money as opposed to Pcworld or Currys.

For example, its a little more expensive but this looks a better one overall besides the graphics of course, but since you're not using the 3D match engine then it should be fine ACER NX.M09EK.018 Aspire E1-571
The processor is better overall and you need a good processor if you wish to load a few leagues.

That processor might not be good enough. I also don't play matches in 3D and have a 2.13GHz processor which still isn't good enough, the speed at the start of a game is 2 stars with just 4 leagues loaded with a large database, first 2 seasons seemed to run ok but now in season 3 it's really starting to run slowly. The minimum PC requirements for a W7/8 according to Steam for FM13 is a 2.2GHz or faster processor and FM14 will likely require an even better one with the new features in the game.

Check out the minimum spec for last year game as a benchmark

Hi guys,

I'm also thinking of upgrading my laptop for FM. Coming in to some unexpected money at just the right (or wrong, depending on how you look at it) time.

I will have a nice chunk to play with, and would like to uprgade it to a decent spec. I don't really know much about laptop specs these days, and am a bit confused by the processor speeds once you start getting into mutiple cores.

What type of specs should I look at to get it running buttery smooth (my own is anything but at the minute - it can take 30-60 seconds to confirm a change mid match).

And how does it run on a MacBook/MacBook Air if I went that route?

Check out the minimum spec for last year game as a benchmark

No need when the new specs are already out for fm 2014:

Minimum OS Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8
Minimum Processor Intel Pentium 4 Intel Core AMD Athlon XP: 1.6GHz+ V/7/8: 2.2GHz+
Minimum Memory 1 GB RAM
Minimum Graphics NVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra ATI Radeon 9800 Intel GMA X3100 128MB VRAM
Minimum Hard Drive 3 GB available space
DirectX: Version 9.0c