New macbook pro, fan and heat problem

Melhoved

Reaction score
I just bought a new Macbook Pro retina, 13" 3,1 ghz i7, with 16 gb rAM and 128 gb HD and intel iris graphics 6100

I play FM with one league loaded and large database. I only use commentary during match days, no replays

I'm upset that the laptop becomes loud and warm after only 10 min of gametime
I downloaded SMCfancontrol that tells me the fans are at 5000-6000 rpm during matches and that the temp is 80-85 degrees celsius at times
Also the battery is losing power fast, like 20% in 30 min

Could this be right in a brand new, reasonable powerful Macbook? I have never used Mac before.

I hope someone knows about this and will answer. Thanks in advance

It's not a gaming laptop, remember that firstly. But yes that sounds about right. My 15" MacBook gets hot and fans blaring while playing FM. However be sure to check that you aren't playing in the stupid high resolution. You can disable the retina display and play at a different resolution which will help.

Thanks for the reply craiigman!
i'm aware that it isn't a designated gaming laptop, but my hopes were that a simple game like FM would run a little bit smoother.
I have now turned off Retina which helped some, but still not as i have hoped..
any other tweeks that somebody knows of, besides playing in a window.??

Mate, I have a similar macbook and always had issues but I usually play on my iMac and rarely play on the macbook. You need to fiddle with turning retina on and off (not just in the game but in Settings on your mac) and also need to change resolution in game. Google it, because plenty of people have had same issue. Its only the Retina models because my mates got a non retina and his runs perfectly.

i'm aware that it isn't a designated gaming laptop, but my hopes were that a simple game like FM would run a little bit smoother.
I don't know anything about macs, but there are a lot of tips in this thread. Read from the post I linked onward:

Mac still over heating and fans going mental.

Ok so basically a ***** decision to go with a Mac from an FM perspective :) i have turned off Retina and set graphics to low.
It works pretty well, but kinda kills the feel of FM.. I have probably bought my last edition of FM ????????????

FM is not as simple as you think, it pushes the CPU hard, especially if you have lots of leagues loaded. That being said, FM does seem to behave a little strange on Mac CPU's, even with an old iMac it would act a bit strange, and the iMac would get very hot too.

Might be worth trying to install Windows via bootcamp (can do a 30 day trial don't forget) and see if the results are the same?

I never felt it was bad enough on mine to stop playing though.

FM is way more intensive than people think. Fair enough it doesn't use massive graphical capabilities but it has process such a large amount of data. When you start thinking that it has to develop the careers of every single player loaded on your database as well as regens and everything regarding the clubs such as results then you start realising what an insane amount of power is needed to process all of that information.

I also play on a Mac and sometimes it sounds like a rocket taking of out NASA and I worry I am doing it damage because of how hot it is.

My recommendation would be to remove any regions that you literally never go near. So for example I may have Norway loaded and yet never look at anything in Norway or even sign any players there. But the processor is still having to keep processing the data for all those thousands of players.

Also. Every time I play FM I make sure that I close every other piece of software such as Word, Spotify etc and try and do everything else I need on my phone or tablet. This frees up you laptop to mainly focus on the game rather than loads of different applications.

Sounds stupid but make sure the fan is completely unobstructed and even using a stand so it is elevated and the base of the laptop isn't touching a surface. I find the bottom of the laptop can get really hot if its on a desk or a bed etc

Also. If you can then go on your news subscriptions and untick as many subscriptions as you can. That makes it so much quicker because it isn't constantly having to generate stories every time you click continue.

Hope this helps.