New to FM and FM Base.

• Thread starter Thread starter Beyond New
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 522

Beyond New

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to both the game Football Manager, and obviously this forum. I'm from Norway, in my early 20's and I've been following football as my single biggest hobby/interest for 10 years, with the English Premier League taking up most of my time. I'm also a big fan of international football, and I love Brazil and Ronaldinho.

I'm average when it comes to tactics. I know you can't have a balanced team playing an old fashioned 4-4-2 with two offensive midfielders such as Kagawa and Mata. I know you're most likely to leave a lot of space in behind your defense if you press high.

My average, but yet very limited, tactical knowledge combined with the fact that I've never played FM before leaves me slightly in doubt before I purchase this rather expencive game in my opinion. Where should I start, and what forum posts would be the most interesting for me to start off with?

If anyone of you have any tips or pointers as to where to begin, I'd very much appreciate it if you could guide me.

- Beyond

I can add that while I'm debating whether or not to buy this game, I will seek knowledge about it, how I can improve etc. and I will play the demo at the very least. I don't know how the rules on this forum is towards downloading the game, but my experience is that pirate copies always have major flaws at some point. That being said, I might try that if the demo is too small and it's not against the forum rules.

Still appreciating tips and guidelines both to the game and this forum.

Read that about Piracy mate. We do not support it at all.
Alright, I will not bring that up anymore. Sorry for not reading the forum rules before posting.
It is 100% worth buying though. It can be extremely annoying at times, but really good at others. The demo will give you a good indication of what it is like. You get all the features of the full game, but you are only able to play until January I believe.
About the demo, it's definitely big enough to let me decide on this game. Also I understand I can continue my game when I purchase the full version.

On a side note, if you were to launch FM 14 for the first time, not having much knowledge about the game beforehand, where would you start, knowing what you know now? heh.

I do know some of the mechanics in the game and I know how to move around the menu. What I don't know is training, coaches, staff, tactics etc. and what to prioritize and what to bring into consideration when I'm more experienced.

Any links to forum posts would be greatly appreciated. And thank you for your help so far regardless.

I would probably start with your favorite club, or one of the top teams in the world. That way, you will (depending on the team you pick) get a nice transfer budget, so you will be able to experiment with transfer etc.

There are also in game tutorials I believe for if you get stuck

Ok, so it's a trial and error kind of deal? I just keep seeing on Twitter erc. where some people seem to have figured the game out. For instance, a friend of mine, a serie A commentator for a small TV channel is an Arsenal fan. Every year around this time, he's won everything with the current Arsenal team, then sold stars and picked up whatever the club is producing of decent players, and withing a few years, he's got a full team, full squad of homegrows and mostly English players, still winning a trophy every season.

I'm not saying I'm looking to do this withing the first couple of weeks of real life play time, but I want to work towards that level somehow. Would my best shot be trial and error, mixed with discussion with fellow forum members, or are there any threads on the internet explaining certain key areas of the game?

Thanks for your help :)

Back