New York Cosmos Challenge

Reaction score
I will soon upload a database that I have created based around the New York Cosmos. The New York Cosmos were a top club in the 1970s in America which really whet people's appetite for football in America and really began to revolutionize football over there. They had many of the World's best players who went there once seemingly past their primes, for example they had Pele, Bobby Moore, Franz Beckenbauer, Giorgio Chinaglia and a few others. However the club became extinct at the collapse of the American NASL league and since then American football has never been the same exciting prospect. But in 2011, Eric Cantona announced that he was taking over as Director of Football at the New York Cosmos.
BBC Sport - Football - Eric Cantona takes New York Cosmos director job

This renaissance never fully occurred in real life even after Pele was named as honorary president and Carlos Alberto and other top footballers came on board as the club had to start in the amateur leagues and it never really received any funding. However in the database, the club has been bought by a rich sugar daddy who has built the club a huge new stadium and the club have qualified for the American Third Division in the place of Orlando City SC who went bankrupt. The club was then able to use its world renowned board members to bring in an incredible array of coaches (most of whom were world class players themselves and others whom are out of a managerial job and have connections to others who have moved to the club) and also players who feel they have little left to offer top-flight European football but still have something left in them.
I have deliberately created a huge squad as I feel this could provide a challenge in the first few seasons in the lower tiers of American Football; trying to keep such a huge squad full of experienced heads and huge egos happy will be the main challenge. It will also be hard trying to keep hold of all the coaches with other clubs probably wanting them. The club has a £50 million transfer budget in the first season but it will be tough to bring in any top quality names as although the club has a great reputation due to its incredible board and coaching staff, the league may not be enough to pull players away from their current clubs.

It is your job to take charge of the club and take them to glory.
Here are the rules that you must abide to in order to qualify for the challenge;

RULES

1. Players can only be signed if they play in the Americas/come from the USA or if they are over 31.
  2. 1 free signing under the age of 31 and outside of the Americas allowed per season.
  3. Players can also be signed if they are from a family with other footballers.
  4. Minimum Squad Size: 140 players.
  5. No Cheating
I have included the first two rules to add realism to the game, as it is generally hard for MLS sides to draw in players from Europe who aren't past their primes or from the USA and most signings come from leagues in the Americas like the leagues of Mexico, Colombia, the Carribean or from other MLS sides. The third rule I tried to make to show how the club are able to draw in famous footballing dynasties to add to those already there. The fourth rule is to try and add in the element of difficulty in trying to juggle a huge wealth of talent and egos as such a club would in real life (eg. How Manchester City are this season on a smaller scale.)
And here are your aims;

AIMS

1. Earn promotion twice in a row to reach the MLS in the 2014 season.
  2. Win the MLS before the 2016 season.
  3. Win the US Cup before the 2015 season.
  4. Win the MLS three times before 2020.
  5. Win the Club World Championship by 2022.
  6. Increase the reputation of the MLS so that it is one of the best leagues in the world.
  7. Become the manager of the US National Team and lead them either to the World Cup or to the Confederations Cup twice or win the CONCACAF Gold Cup 3 times in a row.
  8. Don’t get sacked!
New York Cosmos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Back