newcastle season 4 - fm touch, help please

andym88

Reaction score
firstly, sorry if this is a stupid question, but this is the first FM i've bought in a few years. also, if i'm in the wrong place, please advise

lots of excellent looking tactics on here, with many people having great success with ones described as 'plug and play' in their first season with mediocre squads.

i'm now in my 4th season with newcastle and spent an absolute fortune on getting a squad which should be any bit as good as any of the top 6.

however, away from home we are absolutely dreadful. teams in mid table and towards the bottom seem to be able to beat us by a goal or two without us ever looking unlucky, or likely to kill the game. we are even losing more games at home than i'm happy with, for example to promoted teams. sitting around 9th without looking on getting where i was wanting - to be breaking the top 6

i'm using the tweaked version of the perfectionist tactic, i've also tried the damar 4-3-3 tactic last season but had to abort it as i was getting completely destroyed away from home

begovic,
peruzzi, ginter, wimmer, haidara
danilo
sissoko - rabiot - wijnaldum
perez
mitrovic

is a starting team of mine, so it should be fairly solid all over the pitch. full squad below

GK: A Begovic
LB: M Haidara / I Strinic
CB: M Ginter / K Wimmer / H Moreno
RB: G Peruzzi / C Mbemba
CM: Danilo / A Rabiot / F Vazquez /
WLM: G Wijnaldum / F Carrizo
WRM: M Sissoko / F Thauvin
FW: A Mitrovic / A Perez / Z Clough / L Teodorczyk (currently out for 4 months)

does the fact touch removes many features go some way to nullifying tactics?

or can anyone give me tactical direction?

problem is it is quite a different team from the one i start with - 8th 1st season, 5th 2nd, 9th last season. but even when i was finishing higher up i was more lucky i'd say. now i seem to be winning on my merits when i do but when we get beat it is in quite frustrating ways. my defenders arent in bad positions half the time, it just seems like when a cross comes in the striker always comes out on top and scores. also, we have some decent passers in the team but we are very sloppy - and i am not allowing excessive creative freedom

Last edited:
Before every game you will get a scout report about the opposition. Analyse that and try to setup your team as per the scout instructions. This really helps in understanding the opposition strengths/weaknesses and subsequently taking advantage of them. You might have to move away from your default tactics in the beginning but later you can tweak your tactics to adjust for the opposition.
Hope this helps!