kelloggs

Reaction score
Nigeria's Hero
The Story of Peter Odemwingie

NigerianFlag.png

First story on this site. I'm writing as a collection of newspaper articles rather than a novella type story with plenty of description. So more to do with the story than actual writing, hopefully someone appreciates it...

Might opt to do a more descriptive piece later down the line.

My goal is to win the World Cup with Nigeria and win the English Premier League and the Russian Premier League starting from the bottom tier of English football.

Prologue

Odemwingie Hatrick
Sees Off Midlands rivals

Odemwingie celebrates his hatrick at the Hawthorns.
OdemwingieCelebrate.png

20/12/10. Since signing for West Bromwich Albion Osazemwinde 'Peter' Odemwingie has become a swift fan favorite. Coming from Russian Club Lokomotiv the Uzbekistan born Nigerian international has scored 10 goals. West Bromwich Albion were relegation favorites to start the season but are looking as if they're going to stay up thanks to the adaptable striker who scored three stunning goals in a super 3-2 come back at the Hawthorns against rivals Wolverhampton Wanders in the Black Country Derby responded to by a flurry of Baggies fan's cheers.

Asked about his loyalty to the club he responded

"I'm enjoying life at the club. I'm fortunate as we play a strong style of football which suits me. I wasn't a fan favorite at Lokomotiv, and was the victim of racist chants due to my inability to score goals which was mainly due to me being out on the wing. I'm not accusing all of Russia and the vast majority of fans were fantastic but there is the minority. I believe the Russian World Cup will be a suprise for most people and they'll do a great job. I'm looking forward to it and hope my national team Nigeria can do well, I'm hoping to join as a coach perhaps when I retire, that is my dream."

The racist Russian banner which targeted Osaze.
OdemwingieRacism.png

"I'm enjoying life in the Midlands and enjoy playing for West Bromwich Albion. I'm getting towards the peak of my career but I love football. At the end of it all I may stay with West Bromwich Albion as a staff member or maybe return to Russia or Africa to teach football to children? Either way I'd love to stay in the game."

Odemwingie Career Ended
By Brutal Tackle?

The 91st minute tackle left Odemwingie in agony.
Karlhenrytackle.png

09/06/11. Odemwingie scores again against Midland's Rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers to bring the score to 2-1 in the 88th minute at the Molineux, securing West Bromwich Albion's survival. However, moments after when he was in possession of the ball a cruel tackle by Karl Henry left the Nigerian Striker in agony and to be carried off by physios creating an awkward juxtaposition between West Brom's celebrations and looks of anguish.

Roberto Di Matteo commented "The tackle was horrendous, I wouldn't be suprised to see Karl Henry banned from the sport for a good time. We've just clinched survival and are celebrating and Peter is very seriously injured, perhaps ending his career - we have yet to see."

The goal was Odemwingie's 19th in the premiership, a proud achievement for such a low tier club. He had attracted attention from high profile clubs such as Everton, Tottenham and outside of the premiership Lyon and AC Milan due to his swift adaption to the Premier League and scoring streak. However Odemwingie stated he would retire after the 2 year contract at West Bromwich Albion had expired due to recurring fitness problems but has expressed his desire to stay in football as a coach and help his national team Nigeria.

Baggies Star
Odemwingie Retires

Odemwingie at the Sandwell hospital where he was treated,
pictured with a sick West Bromwich Albion fan.
OdemwingieHospital.png

30/06/2011. Odemwingie, following a serious injury, has retired from football. He mutually ended his contract following the Baggies survival with Roberto Di Matteo due to an injury keeping him sidelined and claiming he was unlikely to return during the current season.

Crutch ridden Odemwingie had expressed his desire to stay with West Bromwich Albion on an episode of Soccer AM but a lack of experience makes West Bromwich Albion chairman Jeremy Peace question his coaching ability and therefore Odemwingie is considering his options in English, African and Russian football as a coach or manager stating he has alot to offer to football due to his knowledge of the game.

Osazemwinde's future is currently left open, with a number of lower level clubs rumored to be interested in his service as a staff member. He is hoping to claim a job before the start of the 2011 season which is rapidly approaching.

---------- Post added at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 AM ----------

Former West Brom Star
Takes Over Local Team

Solihull Moors FC - Odemwingie set to shine.
SolihullMoors.png

1/1/2012. Former West Bromwich Albion striker Osazemwinde "Peter" Odemwingie has today announced his entry into Solihull Moors FC as a manager. Solihull Moors former manager left after recieving a job from AFC Wimbledon who are currently in the playoff positions in the Blue Square Premier. Solihull Moors are currently positioned 4th in the table having defied media predictions of being third favorites for relegation this season. Their manager's departure, however, left them in dismay and brought on a painful four loss streak.

Uzbekistan born Peter Odemwingie said "It's a great time to take over the club. The team have lost their last four games and I'm hoping to turn it around and see them promoted. The lads deserve it as they've worked very hard all season."

Solihull Moors were placed 2nd, unbeaten,
before the loss of their manager and a four loss streak
caused them to slip down the table to 4th.
BSNLeaguetable.png

Odemwingie's footballing career was ended by a freak tackle just over a year ago. He expressed his delight in his return to football.

"I love football and wasn't going to let an injury ruin that. I have alot of knowledge of the game and hopefully I can share that with the team. I was in Nigeria touring to teach youngsters football before being contacted about the availability of the job. It is in the same area as West Bromwich Albion, the area gave alot to me by releasing me from Lokomotiv so I want to give it something back."

Chairman Nigel Collins expressed his delight in the new manager saying that Odemwingie is still young and has a bright management career infront of him.

"Peter was an admirable footballer and he's capable of being a great manager. Some of the lads support West Bromwich Albion and I'm sure the arrival of Peter will be a massive morale boost and help turn our run of bad form around."

Is anyone following, before I continue?

Last edited:
Like the layout and the story format, could be really interesting. It always takes time to develop a following, just keep plugging away mate

Cheers mate, your story is fantastic by the way. Was thinking of doing a piece like that myself but time constraints mean I need to write more casually.

SolihullPaper.png

Nigerian International
Joins Local Team

25/01/2012. New signing Benedict Akwuegbu has just announced his stunning return to football. Akwuegbu, 36, put pen to paper and Solhull Moors FC joined as a player/coach earlier this morning. Obscure to most, Akwuegbu was Nigeria's star striker a just under a decade ago and scored a couple of goals for Nigeria during their 2002 World Cup exhibition. Nigeria later exited the competition following a defeat to England right after the group stages.

Peter Odemwingie, Solihull's recently assigned manager, had this to say:

"I myself watched Akwuegbu during my early player career and he was one of the main influences for me from the international team, he used to be a fantastic player and I'm sure he can teach a thing or two to the youngsters here at Solihull."

Odemwingie recieved much criticism from pundits, saying that he shouldn't of signed the 36 year old on a four year deal. He responded;

"Akwuegbu is still a skilled footballer. His contract doesn't just limit him to a player either but he is coaching too. I believe his influence will help the younger players develop their skills off the pitch while having an international on the team such as himself will inspire them to perform well on the pitch."

Former international Benedict Akwuegbu
joins The Moors as a player/coach.
Benedict.png

Peter Odemwingie recieved questions regarding his managerial position following the slightly disappointing result to bottom of the league Redditch, a 2-2 draw at home, during his first game as manager.

"Solihull had lost 4 games consecutively beforehand, the important thing was not to lose and end the run of bad form before pushing onwards to fortify some wins" he stoutly maintained at the beginning of January.

He then went on to manage 6-3, 1-0 and 2-1 away wins against Gloucester, Boston and playoff place contenders Gainsborough fulfilling his eager promises. Odemwingie believes his team are pushing for a playoff place despite at the start of the season being tipped for relegation and that his new senior striker/coach can help them achieve that goal. If Odemwingie manages such a task it is thought that both higher reputation English and Russian clubs are thought to be looking for the services of the young, hopeful Nigerian manager who's footballing career on the pitch was ended harsly just under two years ago.

Solihull Moors are currently sitting in 4th place behind Corby, Guiseley and current leaders AFC Telford. The Moors have two games in hand and a duo of wins could see them move up to as high as 2nd place.

Last edited: