Noob Terminology Questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Answulf
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2K

Answulf

Reaction score
Hi, I'm relatively new to FM 2013 and American, and have a few quick questions:

What exactly does it mean when a player is creative? Is being creative purely a positive thing, or is there a downside to being creative - as in can you be too creative or is there an opposite trait?

Easier question - if a line is playing deep, is that towards their own goal or the opponents' goal?

Creativity is a positive attribute for the right player, along with decision making, I think it means the ability to create chances. Maybe there is a downside if the player has poor decision making and high creativity as they may look to pass or shoot when the opportunity is not there. I could be wrong though, maybe someone else on here can give a better answer.

And yes if the opposition line is deep it is towards their own goal. Be wary of some teams that play deep as they look to draw you in then counter attack.

Thanks Danny. As a follow up, does creating chances mean a general chance to score or is it more specifically a shot on goal? Or can you 'create chances' on defense or midfield? Do defenders/midfielders need to be creative?

I find the easiest definition of creativity is its opposite. If a player has low creativity, your coaches will say - or at least they did in FM11 - "X has trouble finding any pass other than the one in front of him". So a player with low creativity will not be able to see the potential for through balls or cross-field passes (not reliably, anyway) - he will always choose the safe option or, worse, the wrong one. It's not entirely about creating goal-scoring chances - a creative midfielder may also pick just the right moment to release a winger down the line, say, which may only lead to a goal after several more passes.

A player can't be too creative. But you might have problems if a player has high Creativity and Flair, but relatively low Decisions. These are the players who sometimes create a brilliant chance and sometimes play through balls at the wrong moment and give the ball away. If they create enough chances, you may just have to put up with them.

Midfielders are mainly responsible for creating chances and at least one or two of them generally need to be creative. (Though it depends on what style you play.) Defenders less so, but creative full backs will be able to move up the wing when the team is in possession and create chances from wide areas. Particularly creative ones may even interlink with midfield, a la Baines. Centre backs are least likely to create chances, but if they are good creatively and technically they may create chances with long balls out to the wing or over the top of the opposition, catching them by surprise.

Decisions is a more important stat for defensive players than Creativity. A quality, traditional defensive player may have low Creativity but high Decisions - this means that they may only see the passes in front of them, but at least they always pick the right one and don't give the ball away. Players like this will make sure the ball gets to the players who are creative.

Not so much defenders no, midfield definitely but it also depends on the role. A deep lying playmaker or advanced playmaker for example with high creativity, decisions and passing might try to play some killer balls to your strikers, attempt long range passes and generally create more chances and bring other players into the game, so it's not just specifically a shot on goal. For me, midfielders in a playmaking or attacking role, creativity and passing are very important.

For a better idea of attributes for each player role, in the player screen go to attributes then highlight key attributes for role, that will give you an idea of what to look for in each player.

As another point, the in game hints say that theres a possibility for too much EAM creativity, as "being creative" comes with a certain amount of leeway to "do your own thing", and having a team full of those people is dangerous.

Now for my question, i see the term CCC pop up occasionally, and am baffled.

As a follow up, does creating chances mean a general chance to score or is it more specifically a shot on goal? Or can you 'create chances' on defense or midfield? Do defenders/midfielders need to be creative?
Creating chances means a general chance to score, a player being in a position where he can pass/thread a ball to an open player who then has a chance to score.

[this is just my opinion]
It's best if your centerbacks have lower flair than creativity, centerbacks are never usually blessed with much technique so the less they attempt the fancy pass the better. The exception to that is the 'ball playing centerback' here you will be looking for technique, passing and creativity (but NOT flair) along with the other prerequisites for a centerback.

I don't know but I'd say you would want wingbacks with higher creativity and flair than fullbacks, because they are by nature very attacking and need to create where as fullback are a more standard defensive player.
The last place you want them trying tricks and fancy stuff is in your own eighteen yard box, So for me I'd be looking hard at players with a max of 10-12 creativity and maybe 4-8 flair. (the lower on the latter for me the better)

As for midfielders, well that all depends on what role. To save time and a wall of text, any player role with playmaker in it 'yes' you want creativity. Anchor men and ball winning midfielders 'no' not really necessary, everyone else if their role is defensive 'no' and if their role is support/attack 'yes'.

Last edited:
Now for my question, i see the term CCC pop up occasionally, and am baffled.

CCC = Clear Cut Chance.

As for creativity, I would consider someone like Iniesta to be "creative", someone who creates chances and sees the passes that other players might not, whereas someone like Mikel would be a very uncreative player, plays simple passes and just lays it off for somebody else to find the chance.

Thanks guys, I have a much better understanding of it now. 'Merican English is too convoluted for something like creative to mean simply "to create" - that would make too much sense. :) In the US creative is more about originality of thought and design, usually artistic, and isn't used to describe athletic ability. One more dumb question: I see in the tactics section that you can choose between short passing and direct passing - does direct just mean long?

Thanks guys, I have a much better understanding of it now. 'Merican English is too convoluted for something like creative to mean simply "to create" - that would make too much sense. :) In the US creative is more about originality of thought and design, usually artistic, and isn't used to describe athletic ability. One more dumb question: I see in the tactics section that you can choose between short passing and direct passing - does direct just mean long?

As an american, correct, you're taking the direct route up the field, probably taking more chances of losing the ball in the process.

Back