Not about the tactic: A study of Alex Fergoson.

Reaction score
Not about the Tactic
A Study of Alex Ferguson

View attachment 219524

Alex Ferguson's success is unquestionable. Having won 49 career trophies won over a 39 year managerial career, his place in the pantheon of sport is justified. I'm not going to list his winnings since that's just taking up space. It's well known that he's one of the greatest Managers ever to grace the game.

In my time being a football fan, coach and spending a lot of time on this forum, I've found that a lot of people seem to think that the tactic is the most important factor in winning football matches. In my opinion, it's the last step in a winning formula. 90% of what makes a winning team dose not include tactics, it's only when the work is done, the players as assessed, the opposition is assessed and you figure out your squad (not players) strenghts, that a tactic can truely be implemented... otherwise it's just a series of people standing on a pitch.

Alex Fergoson employed a now famous 4-4-2 fast passed counter attacking system based on work ethic and teamwork. There was no room for individuals in his system since everyone needed to play as a unit. This is a testament to the man behind the success. The Formation was just the paint work on the car, the flashy part of the sports team but the engine was his vision, his attention to detail and his unrelenting dedication to self-reflection and self-evaluation.

Now there was a lot of things Ferguson did that is not repeatable in game. his scouting system involved the families of the players to gain the support of the mothers and to learn about their mentality and how they fight for what they want. He made a point of making everyone, no matter what the role, a vital part of the machine. He knew the name of all the staff, the chefs, the receptionists and made them feel important so the services offered to the players and fans was world class. FM dose not allow for this level of detail but you can still take away one thing: attention to detail and everyone is important.

The 16 year old in the youth team is just as important as the Household name. Because no player will play every minute of every game. You need to trust your squad.

View attachment 219525

"I loved my time in management working with young player because they never fair to surprise you when you give them an opportunity" Alex Ferguson

Take an invested interested in your U18s. Ignore their attributes and star ratings; look at their match ratings! Are they playing well? Are they creating chances, setting up good passes and keeping the ball. Praise them and you'll raise their moral and they'll play even better. Give youth a chance when your first team is injured. If you've a player who's got a good assist record, give him a chance to shine int he first team if an opening becomes available. The coaches just train players, they don't know when he's ready. That's your job!

"We had the mindset that when we get into this team, we're not going out of it. We were lucky in a way that we had a manager who was willing to give us a chance; and gamble essentially on youth" Ryan Gigs

For me, this Gigs quote is important. Every time a youth player steps up to play first team football; it's your gamble, not theirs. If it doesn't pay off, it's not their fault. Don't hold it against them Don't have the "you missed your chance" mindset. Give them the time to come right. World class players are grown, not born.

View attachment 219526
"The real reason for loosing your temper is because of expectation" Alex Fergoson

Fergoson could never imagine any outcome other than a win. Anything less than 3 points was unthinkable and he lost his mind when the players didn't live up to this. Before you criticize the players, ask yourself this 3 step system

1. [*=left]Did I set them up right
    [*=left]Did I anticipate where their attack would come from
    [*=left]Did I pic the players and system to shut down their strengths.
Unless you answered yes to all three, you expected your players do do your job. You're getting frustrated by expectation but are not giving your team the tools to deliver. Sometimes dropping your best player in favor of a more suitable player is the correct choice in a match.

I refuse to see anyone on match days as Key, First team, Rotation, ect. That just means how important they are to my plan, but you can't stick to your plan at the expense of tactical awareness. If you're facing a team that will kick you off the ball, a player will better balance, strength and determination is more suited to the game that the 5'5" lightweight creative genius. And if you find yourself with "Key Players" complaining about first team football when you've judged them to not be suitable, you bought the wrong player for the league. The Squad is important, not the players. No player is bigger than the club

View attachment 219523
"I never saw any of these players as star players; it never bothered me" Alex Ferguson

When a player disrupts the flow, comes looking for more or expects too much, you have a choice; only two choices in my eyes:

• [*=left]Give In
    [*=left]Get Out
There is no middle ground. You either agree with him and give him what he wants, or you see him as overstepping his role and not worth a contract. It's black and white. No excuses. You're the manager, there are thousands of players. If the one you have dose not accept the role in the squad, get out.

Now, if you find yourself being come at from all sides with player requests, you're not living up to your end of the deal. You're neglecting to man manage and forgetting about your players. You need to make everyone at the club know that they are important. If you think someone is worth having at the club but they're not getting games, they're not worth having at the club. Don't be selfish. You signed him, you're paying him; so play him!

Contracts; if you can't afford to keep them, let them go, get in someone who'll work harder.
Match Time: Give it to them. It's not that hard. Give them the chance to impress you.

Winning is a culture you bring with you to a club. Winning is a mentality when things are done right.
The Tactic is the last thing you assess on match days; and should never be the first.

Apart from a few spelling errors, this is a really good post!