Notes on Chances, Long Shots, On and Off Target

ggwood

Reaction score
I've been playing with the match stats showing and I've seen surprising things, which I would like to run by the fm-base community. I'm just watching the 3-d match engine by eye, and seeing when the numbers increment.

1. Clear cut and half-chances must be put on target for them to count. Hitting the woodwork isn't a chance (generally). Further, they cannot be blocked by a defender, unless the defender is rapidly moving into the path of the ball while/somewhat after the ball is shot. If they are hit off target, they rarely count toward those numbers.

2. Shots, even at point blank range, which require the player to move very quickly to kick or head the ball to score are often not counted as clear cut or half chances.

3. A shot is clear cut if the player is close to goal, has only the keeper to beat, and (by point 2 above) has a moment on the ball. May be counted as clear cut even if the keeper is right on top of the player, meaning virtually no realistic chance of scoring.

4. A shot is a "half chance" if the player is close to goal, has a view of the net, partially obscured by one defender, and a moment on the ball.

4.5 The "view of goal" referenced here could be straight at the keeper. So there is a window, not tiny, to the goal either free of defenders (big gap) or partly obscured, but it could be an empty net, or straight into waiting arms of the keeper. Both count.

5. Some half chances are far better then clear cut chances, due to where the keeper is. On average, clear cut chances are better.

6. Long shots require the player to be not close to goal, have a moment on the ball, and a view of the goal unobscured, or partly obscured by one defender. The shooter does not have to put the ball on target for this to count as a long shot. This leads to higher numbers of long shots then chances.

7. Some long shots seem to me to be much better then half chances, but on average they are worse. In many cases, much worse.

8. A surprising number of my goals are not chances, or long shots, or deflected. Its just an on target shot.

9. An off target shot, deflected in by a defender, will give a goal without a shot on target (in other words: you can score without putting a shot on target). This is pretty rare.

10. In summary, I would say I thought going in that most clear cut chances were scored, and about half the half chances. I would divide both of those in half, at least. I'm accumulating stats on this now (just don't have enough events). I'm guessing I score on maybe 40% of my clear cut chances, and maybe 25% of my half chances. I don't score from many long shots, maybe 10%? In any case, they are way closer together then I thought before I examined them carefully.

This is really good, I would have to say that the figures around 40%, 25% etc seem much more realistic than if they were higher, as you thought they might have been.

I also think that blocked shots, whilst they don't count as on target, can be counted as chances even when it's not rapid movement after the shot is taken, I've seen it happen a few times. Admittedly I only watch it on key highlights so I can't say what proportion of the time this is

I've been playing with the match stats showing and I've seen surprising things, which I would like to run by the fm-base community. I'm just watching the 3-d match engine by eye, and seeing when the numbers increment.

1. Clear cut and half-chances must be put on target for them to count. Hitting the woodwork isn't a chance (generally). Further, they cannot be blocked by a defender, unless the defender is rapidly moving into the path of the ball while/somewhat after the ball is shot. If they are hit off target, they rarely count toward those numbers.

2. Shots, even at point blank range, which require the player to move very quickly to kick or head the ball to score are often not counted as clear cut or half chances.

3. A shot is clear cut if the player is close to goal, has only the keeper to beat, and (by point 2 above) has a moment on the ball. May be counted as clear cut even if the keeper is right on top of the player, meaning virtually no realistic chance of scoring.

4. A shot is a "half chance" if the player is close to goal, has a view of the net, partially obscured by one defender, and a moment on the ball.

4.5 The "view of goal" referenced here could be straight at the keeper. So there is a window, not tiny, to the goal either free of defenders (big gap) or partly obscured, but it could be an empty net, or straight into waiting arms of the keeper. Both count.

5. Some half chances are far better then clear cut chances, due to where the keeper is. On average, clear cut chances are better.

6. Long shots require the player to be not close to goal, have a moment on the ball, and a view of the goal unobscured, or partly obscured by one defender. The shooter does not have to put the ball on target for this to count as a long shot. This leads to higher numbers of long shots then chances.

7. Some long shots seem to me to be much better then half chances, but on average they are worse. In many cases, much worse.

8. A surprising number of my goals are not chances, or long shots, or deflected. Its just an on target shot.

9. An off target shot, deflected in by a defender, will give a goal without a shot on target (in other words: you can score without putting a shot on target). This is pretty rare.

10. In summary, I would say I thought going in that most clear cut chances were scored, and about half the half chances. I would divide both of those in half, at least. I'm accumulating stats on this now (just don't have enough events). I'm guessing I score on maybe 40% of my clear cut chances, and maybe 25% of my half chances. I don't score from many long shots, maybe 10%? In any case, they are way closer together then I thought before I examined them carefully.

This is really good
o.png

Thanks for the positive feedback - I thought I might be posting the obvious, or get instantly corrected.

I took over Man City after many seasons building up from starting from Montrose F.C. Now, we are a very, very good team, but I think you'll see the stats for %of shots don't depend on quality much. By which I mean, I'm a top team, mostly playing teams below me in reputation, but our percentages are (statistically) identical. Trust me on that, I can do the stats, there are no meaningful differences in the percentages.

Here they are:

My team:
% of shots that are goals: 12% (349 shots over 10 matches, mix of prem and champions league knockout rounds/final)
my opponents 13% (91 shots)

% of on target shots which score a goal: 22% (189 on target shots)
my opponents 23.5% (51 on target shots)

% of my CCC which result in goals: 46% (39 CCC)
opponents: 38% (21 CCC)

% of my half chances which result in goals: 16% (10 of 63 half chances)
opponents: 17% (1 of 6 half chances...note they generate a tiny, tiny number of half chances, so this % fluctuates wildly, if Schalke didn't score off of one of two half chances in the Champion's League final, this percentage would have been zero).

I have some notes on my Australia squad in the 2022 World Cup. We reached, and lost, the final. Which in an of itself is insane. But I may have decent enough stats to see if they are comparable to those of my Man City team.

Also, rarely you can have long shots which are also half chances, but when you are that far out, you basically have a "clear cut" view of the goalkeeper.

I saw a few clear cut chances hit off target, at least one of which hit the woodwork, deflecting straight up. Maybe 5% of the CCC are hit off target. So it happens rarely. Same with half chances, I saw at least two hit off target, but it could have been more.

Note on CCC: occasionally, you get a CCC and the keeper is right on top of the striker, meaning there is basically no chance of scoring, but since there isn't a defender in the path to goal, it counts as clear cut.

Yep I've noticed clear cut chances which are like rebounds which leave the striker just a few metres from the goal but practically on the baseline, so the angle is far too tight to expect them to score, but it still counts as clear cut

I also think that blocked shots, whilst they don't count as on target, can be counted as chances even when it's not rapid movement after the shot is taken, I've seen it happen a few times. Admittedly I only watch it on key highlights so I can't say what proportion of the time this is

Yes. Now, after many more matches, I've seen everything. You can get chances (clear cut and half) for shots not put on target.

I've seen a half chance given for a free kick, over the wall, which scored. I must have seen a good half dozen free kicks from that same spot not scored, not counted as a half chance.

After 30 games, total shot statistics

30 games, 1321 shots, 116 goals, 0.11 goals/shot
653 on target shots, 0.22 goals/on target shot
174 clear cut chances, 66 goals from clear cut chances, 0.38 goals/clear cut chance
205 half chances, 24 goals from half chances, 0.12 goals/half chance
Of the 1321 shots, 305 qualify as long shots. I don't know how many goals are from long shots. Not many.

Subtracting the chances (clear cut and half) from shots, and subtracting the corresponding goals, we find of all the "other" shots (including long and normal shots), 0.06 goals/other shot.

This means half chances are about twice as good as a normal "shot".