Nothing I try works with Arsenal. I can't find an explanation for it.

Reaction score
So I always start the same way when I'm playing FM.

I start out with Arsenal, and them move to another team (I had my eye on Gladbach).

This didn't work with FM13.

I started out with Arsenal, and started losing. Badly. No tactic I set up worked. I would start the season and lose to Reading, Newcastle and Norwich (consecutively!). So I thought it was an issue with my tactics.

I tried downloading Awesome AMC and GoalsGalore. Both of them I binned after the first game of the season. With AMC, it was against Fulham, and I conceded 4 goals in 8 minutes, losing 3-4 (I played 3 up front for most of the second half). Managed to get to something resembling form, winning against Valencia and Man City, but then lost 12-0 at Old Trafford. 12-0.

So I started yet again with GoalsGalore this time. First game of the season, after winning all the pre-season games, 6-1 loss at Aston Villa. My failure to even start in a solid career with Arsenal is consistent, and it's REALLY bothering me.

Could it be I'm doing something horribly wrong?

I had the same problem, although not to the extreme of 12-0. I mean 12-0, that's just shocking.

Those tactics were the exact same I used, they weren't working and I never figured out why. The AMC role never works for my Arsenal squad. So here's what you do. Change tactics. I changed it to a 4-2-2-2 that I got of FM-Base.

Might and Magic™ by Raikan007 Fm13 - Downloads - Football Manager 2013 Tactics, Wonderkids & Cheats

I'm pretty sure that's the tactic I use, after downloading you should get 2 and try the control tactic that has an AP-Support and Ball winning midfielder-defend. The tactic helped me win games, and dominated teams like Man City, Utd, Liverpoool, Chelsea (at home though). It's not perfect but it got me out of the situation you're in.

Against tough opponents away or even home just make a defending tactic like 4-3-3 on counter/defend and throw fast players up there for the counter.
View attachment 306667

This is the tactic I'm talking about, and my main team that I used. It's key you have a good midfield, Arteta does the job but a more all round Defensive CM is needed, coquelin isn't there yet. The wingers are key for the crosses as Chamakh and Giroud are great together upfront. Be careful though that you're wingers have decent teamwork or you'll have chamberlain cutting into his left foot and smashing it out the stadium.

If all else fails just ignore good football and park the bus and attack on the counter.

So I always start the same way when I'm playing FM.

I start out with Arsenal, and them move to another team (I had my eye on Gladbach).

This didn't work with FM13.

I started out with Arsenal, and started losing. Badly. No tactic I set up worked. I would start the season and lose to Reading, Newcastle and Norwich (consecutively!). So I thought it was an issue with my tactics.

I tried downloading Awesome AMC and GoalsGalore. Both of them I binned after the first game of the season. With AMC, it was against Fulham, and I conceded 4 goals in 8 minutes, losing 3-4 (I played 3 up front for most of the second half). Managed to get to something resembling form, winning against Valencia and Man City, but then lost 12-0 at Old Trafford. 12-0.

So I started yet again with GoalsGalore this time. First game of the season, after winning all the pre-season games, 6-1 loss at Aston Villa. My failure to even start in a solid career with Arsenal is consistent, and it's REALLY bothering me.

Could it be I'm doing something horribly wrong?

Would you mind posting a screen or a pkm of that 12-0 match ?

Cheers

For starters, you can't have "Plug and Play" tactics anymore, you need to change things to match the opposition. I did fine on my Arsenal save, won everything there was to win (Apart from Europa league, which I never played in), and the prem every season.
I could post a screenshot of my tactic if you want?

But as I said, you need to also give the players time to get familiar with the tactic, and to take into consideration the opposition before each match :)

Hey im 28 and have been hooked on FM for the last 10 years, I always play as Arsenal they are a great team to manage with all their quality youngsters, i'm enjoying this years game a lot as i've got the team playing some fantastic football, I thought id share my tips and tactics for anyone who is struggling to find consistency with Arsenal, my biggest tip is keep it simple.

I play an attacking 4-4-2 that is also very strong defensively, I've noticed a lot of people asking for help with tactics on here are over complicating things, just because you can set every slider doesn't mean you have to!

A big tip is ALWAYS set opposition instructions before every game, strikers should be set to tackle hard and show on weaker foot, and all the oppositions midfielders should be set to close down, if you close down the whole team your team will tire quickly and your players will waste their energy closing down defenders who pose no attacking threat.

The reason i do not instruct my players to close down strikers is because defenders will get too close to the oppositions striker(s) and end up getting rolled, works best when just tackle hard and show on weaker foot is selected and i rarely concede penaltys or get red cards.

I've only changed 5 team instructions all the rest are left on default, style - fluid, strategy - attacking, passing - short and finally set my advanced playmaker as playmaker (you should only have 1 advanced playmaker) and poacher as target man.

View attachment 306774

Last edited:
"Managed to get to something resembling form, winning against Valencia and Man City, but then lost 12-0 at Old Trafford. 12-0."

Please post a screenshot of this game theres is something badly wrong in the setup for this match.

Back