NUFC 3rd Season. Need defensive help ASAP

• Thread starter Thread starter Haillay7
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 2K

Haillay7

Reaction score
Just about to start my third Season as NUFC.

Finished 4th first Season - knocked out by Juve in playoff.
Finished as Champions in my second - Won Europa League, Lost in FA Cup Final.

My problem now is that I have an ageing squad and not much money.

I've got rid of deadwood Riviere (5M) S.Taylor (2.5M) Dummett (1M). In all I started the window with about 21M in my pockets. My only real purchase has been Origi for 9M (I didn't really need him, but I couldn't pass him up).

My team that started the season (Charity Shield v. Everton).

Krul

Janmaat Coloccini G.Cahill Haidara

Sturano Sissoko

A.Perez Cabella Ayew

Giroud

I only have ONE other CB in Mannama (SP?). ONE other RB in Peruzzi and ONE LB in Santon. As you can see my strength does not lie in my defensive depth. My question, with about 7.5M to spend, has anyone got any good affordable wonderkids or even first teamers that would get me through the Season really.

The reason I'm so desperate is I've racked all my shortlists, I have all my scouts focused on it and yet I've still come up with nothing affordable. Either not good enough or far too expensive.

Bearing in mind my results at the start of this Season have been,

v Everton (Charity Shield) 1-5 (FIVE)
v Bayern (Super Cup) 0-3.

I NEED HELP NOW ha.

Thanks in advance.

If I am honest I think it might be your tactics (btw I am no tactical genius and often struggle with defensive tactics) I think you have a very strong defence on paper. I would say to start Peruzzi and Santon over Janmaat and Haidara, as Peruzzi in my opinion is one of the best RB in the game, Santon is always very consistent and Mannama is equally as top class so I would have thought by season 3 he would be in your first team? How do you set up defensively?

No thats fine, I welcome any help I can get ha.

Both WB's in Attack and both CB's as sitting (not two of the best ball playing defenders).

Generally it's set up well, I went through a period last year of 7/8 games without conceding in the league, so I think it's just that both CB's are over the hill and I need replacements fast.

Yeah, I think your right I should probably be starting Mannama so I'll try that more consistently and yeah Peruzzi is silly good at times (I think they were both away for the Olympics at the start of this Season).

I think depth is my problem, any ideas on additions?

Yeah see I like playing my wing backs attacking as well, when I do that I always play a DM-Halfback so at least then when my wing backs fly forward Ive got cover at the back. If you play a short passing game then a ball playing defender is definitely what you need, I would look at Umtiti, Rugani, Jedvaj, Tah, Marquinos, Marlon (Vitoria), Doria, Romagnolia, Balanta or Sule.. Just to name a few lol

Ha! Yeah I've been looking at Marlon and Sule. Both are 'just' out of range as both requiring about 12/13M which I just can't scrub together. I'll certainly look at the others though, brilliant thanks! Marquinos on mine has gone up to about 25M! I got him for 3.5M a Season earlier in a Dortmund save I had a few Months back making it even crazier.

I usually have Sturano as a BWM or as an A if I change my tactics to 4-1-2-2-1 as I sometimes do for away games. But I think It may be because I'm just getting too big for my boots in Away games and not doing that, I just don't know.

Back