Reaction score
Just got Nuneaton promoted to League 2 in my first season using LFC Marshall update.

Any suggestions on who to sign?

Just got Nuneaton promoted to League 2 in my first season using LFC Marshall update.

Any suggestions on who to sign?

At League Two level, I'd favour older players and loan signings who you can replace after one or two seasons - in the hope that you're moving up the divisions at the same time. Also look at Southampton's Reserves and Youth squads because there are some players there on the verge of breaking through and others who have recently left to join other lower league clubs who could do a job for you in League Two:

Kelvin Davis - Vastly experienced goalkeeper and a potential captain. Now the third choice at Southampton.

Aaron Martin - 24 year-old (or 25 by now, in your save), tall centre-back who played for Southampton in the Championship and was loaned out to Ipswich. Poses a considerable goal threat from set-pieces. Has been with Birmingham City but signed for Yeovil Town last summer.

Jack Stephens - Another centre-back from the Saints Youth Academy. On loan at Swindon Town last season. Capped by England U18s and U19s. I sold him in my save and he went on to join Aston Villa and earn full England caps.

Jay McEveley - Strong and experienced centre-back who may be too valuable to Sheffield United to let you have him, but worth a look. Would have achieved more in the game but for persistent injury, so check his recent injury record and look for anything to do with the knee or lower leg.

Jon Ashton - Another experienced centre-back, who favours the left side. Capped by England C 4 times in 2007-08, he has had a solid career in the lower divisions and is now with Stevenage.

Charlie Daniels - AFC Bournemouth's versatile left-sided player with excellent crossing and set-piece delivery. Can play full-back, wing-back or left midfield.

Jake Bidwell - Former Everton left-back who always seems to become available in FM. Currently with Brentford.

Matt Targett - Young left-back, expected to be the next breakout star of Southampton's youth academy.

Ben Reeves - Left-back come left-winger who came through the Southampton Academy and is now with MK Dons.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek - Chelsea's England U19 international midfielder. Destined for great things, potentially, but possibly available on loan in the short term.

Danny Hollands - Defensive midfielder, formerly of AFC Bournemouth and Charlton Athletic. Now with Portsmouth.

Mike Gosney - Experienced left-sided midfielder with AFC Totton and then Basingstoke, who had trials at Bournemouth during Kevin Bond's reign.

Massimo Luongo - Tottenham's Australian international midfielder who was with Swindon Town on loan last season.

Anthony Wordsworth - Ipswich Town midfielder who has spent the last few seasons out on loan.

Simon Davies - Former Wales international midfielder who played for Tottenham and Everton. Might still be knocking around for a free transfer. Can operate in central midfield if you get him to play More Direct Passes, rather than run around a lot.

Patrick Roberts - An exciting attacking midfielder who in reality is now established, I think, as a Fulham regular - but perhaps not in your FM universe. Possibly available for loan.

Jay Tabb - Versatile and experienced attacking midfielder; a former Ireland U21 international.

Jake Sinclair - Younger brother of Scott Sinclair. A right-sided forward from the Southampton Academy who spent last season on-loan at Hibernian.

Robbie Simpson - Creative attacking midfielder with a decent long-range shot. Did well for me at Exeter City in FM13.

Harrison Reed - Young attacking midfield prospect from the Saints Academy.

Leandre Griffit - 30 year-old right winger who scored a couple of goals against Blackburn and Newcastle during a brief spell at Southampton. Has since played in Sweden and the US, but is currently with French CFA2 side AS Aulnoye-Aymeries.

Ryan Mason - Attacking midfield/forward prospect at Tottenham who scored a blinding goal against Nottingham Forest in the Capital One Cup last night.

Matt Tubbs - Non-league goalscoring sensation with Salisbury City who eventually got a move to the big time with Crawley Town. Owned by AFC Bournemouth and loaned out to AFC Wimbledon last season. In his 30s but proven at League Two level.

Sam Gallagher - Imposing, athletic centre-forward prospect; another product of the Southampton Academy.

Lee Barnard - Former Southampton striker who is now back with his previous club, Southend United. A proven goalscorer in the lower leagues.

Stewart Yetton - Scored 219 league goals in 8 years with Truro City; has since moved on to Weymouth where he got 33 last season. Worth a punt if you can get him cheaply.

Sam Baldock - Striker or winger who struggled to make the grade with West Ham. Now with Brighton & Hove Albion, via a successful spell with Bristol City, but could be available on loan if the goals don't flow freely for him.