Bamberger

Reaction score
Hi! This is not directly related to the 15 game but since it is the only active forum for technical help I still ask here.

Is there any expiry date on old games when installed to play directly on the computer? For about five years I have played FM10 without using Steam and the DVD-rom has worked just fine. Now overnight when it has been inside the CD holder as usual it has suddenly stopped working and I was forced to install and use my Steam account for the game to work.

Is it known to anyone here that old DVD-roms have suddenly expired completely without reason? Neither of my computers will even acknowledge the existance of the disc... and I have not even touched it since December 2014! (it has been inside the computer non-stop).

What could be the cause of this melee and would even a re-install help provided the disc doesn't even 'exist' according to the computer?

I hope not to be thrown under the bus for asking a FM10 technical question because I still feel it's relevant. 10 is such a favourite game for me and since I've been at Uni for all those years I haven't bothered spending money on new games ever since. I'd be devastated to lose it.

Hi! This is not directly related to the 15 game but since it is the only active forum for technical help I still ask here.

Is there any expiry date on old games when installed to play directly on the computer? For about five years I have played FM10 without using Steam and the DVD-rom has worked just fine. Now overnight when it has been inside the CD holder as usual it has suddenly stopped working and I was forced to install and use my Steam account for the game to work.

Is it known to anyone here that old DVD-roms have suddenly expired completely without reason? Neither of my computers will even acknowledge the existance of the disc... and I have not even touched it since December 2014! (it has been inside the computer non-stop).

What could be the cause of this melee and would even a re-install help provided the disc doesn't even 'exist' according to the computer?

I hope not to be thrown under the bus for asking a FM10 technical question because I still feel it's relevant. 10 is such a favourite game for me and since I've been at Uni for all those years I haven't bothered spending money on new games ever since. I'd be devastated to lose it.

Sounds like your burned out the DVD mate. It'll happen to any DVD if it's being read all the time for 4 years. Everytime you turn on your computer, check my computer, ect it reads the Disk to know what's on it, the laser will eventually burn our the disk. It's just the limitations of technology.

What made me more mystified is that my FM12 I hardly ever used did not react as well as the F12010 game. But at the same time a music CD did work... so perhaps some trouble with Windows and the software related to reading game discs? It really makes me feel weird...

As Brendn said its does sound like the Disc has burnout as any disc that is nearly 5 years old would.

Could be a number of different things though, try some of the below:

* Firstly, if you haven't already, try the FM10 disc in another PC/Laptop. If it still doesn't work then it is more then likely the disc.

* Your driver could be corrupt, try starting your PC/Laptop in Safe mode, run the disc and open device manager, if your computer recognises the disc that means your Windows and/or Driver is corrupt. If it isn't recognised then again this would lean towards it being the disc at fault.

Lastly it could well actually be that your Windows has updated and the game is now too old to run, although that is unlikely considering the game is only 5 years old.

What Windows are you running? have you recently updated the software and have you added any new security software?

I run Windows 7. I did try and run it on my laptop and it didn't recognize it there either but then again my laptop is a bit crazy too. The laptop did recognize "F1 2010" which the stationary PC did not so that was pretty weird. So I don't know what to think if other games aren't regognized on it as well, but works on another computer. Then again I am no computer expert, but as long as I have my Steam account it should be no big deal for now since the game is activated on it. Will have to dig deeper into this.

Thanks guys!