Olympique Lyonnais: Life after Lacazette

AidanD10

Reaction score
View attachment 87522
Life After Lacazette

Olympique Lyonnais are the ex kings of France, they have only ever won the Ligue 1 seven times, the catch is… all these titles were back-to-back. From 2001-2007, Olympique Lyonnais were unstoppable, topping the table seven years in a row before the uprising of other French teams such as OGC Nice, Olympique Marseille, LOSC Lille, AS Monaco and of course PSG. However Olympique Lyonnais have kept a competitive and have possessed some real footballing assets…. Until now.

This is a Picture of the clubs latest Kit launch..:
View attachment 87521
You see that. From Right to Left: Corentin Tolisso, Clement Grenier, Alexandre Lacazette, Maxwell Cornet and Maxime Gonalons. Or should I say: Bayern Munich, Lyon, Arsenal, Lyon and AS Roma. That’s right, Olympique Lyonnais have lost 3 major players before the new season has begun.

View attachment 87520
Alexandre Lacazette to Arsenal: The major talisman and arguably one of the most inform strikers to be playing in Europe right now has finally got his move to Arsenal and it’s almost as if the Heart of Lyon has been torn straight out of them. He is Lyon’s 3rd highest all time goalscorer. He will 100% missed. That’s a sort of talent almost impossible to replace.

Corentin Tolisso to Bayern Munich: Tolisso is a truly dynamic and well-rounded midfield who would help complete any team so when German Giants Munich came knocking, he packed his bags and left. A man who could easily run any game on his own, often filling in the roles of other players. First, we lose our heart and now, we lose our legs.

Maxime Gonalons To Roma: And there goes our Lungs, Brains and spirit. Not at the exact level of talent as the other two, yet an incredible defensive midfield that cut out any attack. Yet for what Gonalons lacked slightly in talent, he definitely more than made up for in other ways. To begin with, Maxime Gonalons joined Olympique Lyonnais in 2000 at the age of 11, being at the club for 17 years and being in a leading role of Captain for a long time, he will be hugely missed.

After those major departures we are currently left with a half-functioning human body that is Lyon. Yet with those departures, there is still major amounts of talent throughout the club.

Key players

View attachment 87519View attachment 87518View attachment 87517

Nabil Fekir
: Lacazette’s ex partner in crime, Nabil Fekir has the ability to become a leading footballer in Ligue 1 and maybe even in European football, with lightning quick feet and incredible vision, he will be a huge part of the upcoming season.

Memphis Depay: Having joined last January, Depay put in a decent shift for his first half a season at France, but now having had 6 months to settle in, he will be firing on all cylinders, he showed glimpses of his class at United and if we can bring back his form from his PSV days then they will come knocking back in no time.

Anthony Lopes: I have never really seen anyone rate this guy as highly as I do. In my eyes, he is an incredibly acrobatic keeper who possess great shot stopping ability and will be a huge part of any success we have in the future.

Players for the Future:
View attachment 87516View attachment 87515View attachment 87514

Maxwell Cornet
: A pacey french winger who can also player up front, he will be getting plenty of game time this season as we look to try and develope him. Could help plug the gap Lacazette has left.

Lucas Tousart: Honestly, when I look at this player, He has the “New Gonalons” written all over him. At the young age of 19, he already has impressive leadership ability. A real, no nonsense ball winning midfielder. Will be a starter for this year and many after.

Mouctar Diakhaby: A calm, ball playing defender, who fits my philosophy and play style very well. Once trained, will become a future club captain.

New Signings:
View attachment 87513View attachment 87512View attachment 87511

Mariano Diaz
: A young prospect from Real Madrid, could be the main provider of goals for the club. Having grabbed 25 goals in 28 games for Castilla last year, will he be able to adapt to the huge step up?

Bertrand Traore: I mean, Once you look past his ridiculous haircut, he is actually a half decent player. Can play on either wing or up front, will be a very useful player.

Ferland Mendy: Without a real recognisable Left-back before his signing, Mendy will slide straight into the first team and looks like a promising player.

Will very little amounts of money to spend and huge gaps to plug, it will be a challenge to try and get Lyon back to the top of French and European football but the adventure begins now.

How will Olympique Lyonnais cope with ‘Life after Lacazette’...

Good luck have a real soft spot for Lyon, hopefully their academy keeps producing for you

Really good opening post! Don't see many Lyon saves so definitely overwatching this one!

View attachment 87457

Pre-season:

We had a fairly good pre-season, not major shocks and an undefeated run. Some results could have been better and some could have gone worse so all in all a decent pre-season that lines us up well for a successful season.

View attachment 87456

Transfers:

Most transfers in were all looking towards the future of the club, bringing a large amount of french youth with bags of potential. Mix these with current and future academy graduates and the future seems bright for the club. There were two first team Signings though…

Vincent Koziello - 8.5 million - CM/DM: We currently only have players who can put in a shift in central midfield and with a 3 centre mid formation, this meant we were lacking in numbers. Vincent Koziello has just come off a cracking season with Nice and for 8.5m, he seems a bargain to fill that Box-to-box role in the middle.

Nicholas Tagliafico - 2.5 Million - LB/CB: Tagliafico is a very versatile player who play almost across the entire defence and even into the midfield. He provides major back-up in a number of positions with very well rounded stats and an abundance of pace, he could play a big role this season.

We also sold two major players:

Christophe Jallet - 1 million - RB: With the arrival of Kenny Tete, Jallet had fallen down the pecking order and at the age of 32, he isn't getting any younger. I was very happy to get some money for him.

Mapou Yanga-M’biwa - 8.5 million - CB: Yanga-M’biwa was one of many centre backs at the club. At the age of 27 I aim to develop youth meaning M’biwa falls behind Emanuel Mammana, Mouctar Diakhaby and Nicholas Nkoulou, with many other options that could fill in at CB, it seemed the right choice to let him leave.

View attachment 87455
I plan on playing a 4-3-3 sort of formation this year, with Depay-Mariano-Fekir having free roles up front to create and finish chance after chance. A solid midfield trio with a brick wall back four and keeper.
View attachment 87454

Up next, The Trophee des champions VS PSG...

View attachment 87453

Saturday 6th August 2016

Worthee Stadion - Sportpark Klagenfurt - Austria

Trophee Des Champions

Olympique Lyonnais Vs Paris Saint-Germain

“A clash of the titans, Old timers vs new comers, two of the biggest teams in France clash for the first piece of silveware this season. PSG must be favourites for this game, Champions of France for more than the past 5 years while Lyon are still in a transition period with a new manager and coping with the lost of many big players, PSG win all the way for me here.”

The line-ups are announced:
View attachment 87452

Kick-off:

8' Mendy with the throw in, but he can only pick out Verrati, he lays it off to Di Maria, bursting up the pitch but a stunning challenge from Grenier wins it back. He switches it out to Fekir who has room to push forward here. A big challenge from Kimpembe but the loose ball falls to Mariano…. GOAL!!! A lovely strike from Mariano from just outside the D beats Areola and Lyon find themselves 1-0 up.

10’ Free Kick for PSG in a dangerous position, Di Maria stands over the ball… So Unlucky from Di Maria as he gets it over the wall but just over the bar, the keeper looked beaten there.

14’ PSG with another break here as Aurier has the ball in plenty of space out on this right hand side. He puts a ball in the box and Jese rises…. But is unable to do anything as Lopes claims the ball in the air and ends the PSG attack.

15’ Grenier picks out Depay with a forward pass, he picks his head up and lobs the ball to the other side of the box to Emanuel Mammana…. INCREDIBLE! Emanuel Mammana thunders a volley in off the crossbar from just outside the box. 2-0 Lyon.

HALF TIME:

A weaker end to the half but PSG are left shocked as Lyon find themselves 2-0 up after two fantasctic strikes… second half up next.

54’ Mendy with the throw in, this time he picks out Grenier who plays it straight back to him. Mendy picks him head up and plays a lovely 50 yeard ball over the top which Mariano takes down in him stride and is now racing directly at the heart of the PSG defence. Hs dancing feet sending Thiago Silva one way, then the other, before Mariano eventually cuts inside and hits one…. 3-0! What a goal!

70’ Verrati picks up the ball and plays a lovely 15 yard pass over the top to Guedes… Who’s strike narrowly flies past the post. PSG are clutching at straws here as Lyon look in charge of the game.

FULL TIME:

And that’s how the game ends, a fantastic team performance from Lyon leaves PSG speechless. Who needs Lacazette when you have Mariano Diaz! Great game from him. Could this just be a preview of what we can expect from him and Lyon this year. Only time will tell.

Following on from winning our first piece of silverware, we finished the month in emphatic fashion, scoring goals for fun and going unbeaten throughout the month with 3 wins from 3.

Game 1 Vs Nancy:
View attachment 87344

What a way to start the season, a 6-1 victory to open up the year. Everyone contributing to the game as we demolished through Nancy.

MOTM: Memphis Depay

Game 2 Vs Stade Malherbe Caen:
View attachment 87343This game was very nervy. We raced into a 4-1 lead thanks to an unlikely goalscoring hero in the form of Vincent Koziello, but 2 absolute screamers from Stef Peeters set us up for what was a tense last 15 minutes.

MOTM: Vincent Koziello

Game 3 Vs Dijon FCO:
View attachment 87342Another away game in which we dismantled Dijon, Depay grabbed a double but he was outshone by Mariano who came into the game and left with the matchball, this rounded up the month with 9 points from 9.

MOTM: Mariano:

View attachment 87341

In other news, we have had the draw for our champions league group and I am secretly confident that we could make our way into the knockout stages.

View attachment 87340

I believe our club is at least on par with the likes of FC Porto and CSKA Moscow and it’s been a very long time since I’ve seen a Hungarian team in the Champions League so it will be close but I believe we can make it through.

Race To Top Goalscorer:

1st Mariano - 5 Goals

---- Koziello - 5 Goals

3rd Depay - 4 Goals

(Who evens needs Lacazette and Tolisso when you can have Mariano and Koziello)

That's a **** good group, can't imagine many easier options were available since you were (presumably) 2nd or even 3rd seed.