One for sorrow, two for joy. A tale of the Magpies.

• Thread starter Thread starter STFCDP
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 1K

STFCDP

Reaction score
I should point out that this is a FM11 story, but the FM11 story section is closed, so I hope this can continue here!
Tuesday 6th​ July 2010

As I entered the press conference, cameras flashed at me like a sea of twinkling stars, as I approached the table at the front an audible hush fell across the crowd of journalists gathered in front of me. A man in a suit stood and introduced me to the crowd.

“Here we have 38 year old Danny Preston the new England manager.”

More camera flashes followed this announcement as everyone tried to get the photo that would make the front cover of the various tabloids. Opening my mouth I began to speak.

“I am delighted to have accepted this job, as a boy I would dream of this moment, and following my accident I never thought I would have a chance like this again. Any questions?”

A journalist from the front raised her hand and I gestured to her.

“And I’m thinking what’s the deal, with the facts that they conceal?”

Staring at her I wondered why she was asking me this question.

“I have no idea.” I replied confused.

Pointing to another journalist, I hoped for a more sensible question.

“But I’m thinking what’s the harm, with a bit of rhetoric and charm.”

“That’s not even a question.” I shouted over the growing noise. Everyone in the room was now speaking and they were all saying the same thing.

“But I can’t comprehend, a beginning or an end, no I can’t quite stomach this.”

Looking to the right of me I could see my phone flashing an alarm at me, picking it up I turned it off and the journalists stopped, well they disappeared and so did the rest of the room. Looking around I realised I was in my bedroom staring at the same walls.

Rubbing my eyes I tried to shake the dream, if it hadn’t have been for my alarm playing “No Sleep Tonight” by Enter Shikari, I might have stayed in that dream for a couple of hours longer. As it was I was late for another important meeting.

Stepping out of bed, I quickly dressed and walked downstairs, as I walked down the stairs I looked at the various football shirts in their frames. The first shirt I passed was a Newtown AFC shirt, which I had been given as a leaving present, I had spent 3 years at Newtown from 1990-93. The next shirt marked a period in my life where I played at the highest league I have ever played at, as a Shrewsbury Town supporter this shirt had been hard to pull on for the first time. But I had spent a happy 4 years at Wrexham, from 93-97. I had left Wrexham in 97 for an unknown team who had just won the Division 3 championship, Wigan had been my next port of call and I stayed there until the millennium. Following Wigan I had dropped down a league and had joined Bury for 2 years, until my boyhood team came knocking, I only stayed at Shrewsbury for a year, which had ended in relegation, framed with the shirt was a newspaper clipping from the Daily Mirror following our win over Everton. I had only moved down the road following Shrewsbury and joined Kidderminster Harriers, who I stayed with until they were too relegated. Chester City were next, I hadn’t been a popular signing, but I kept my head down for 2 years and had been sad to see their demise. My last league club were Accrington Stanley and I enjoyed a year there, until it was clear my legs had gone. The last shirt on the stairs was the shirt of the club I was due to have a meeting at, Chorley FC.

Reaching the bottom of the stairs I looked back at the shirts, feeling a sense of nostalgia. Entering the living room I looked down at the dog that greeted me, and sensed that it was time for breakfast for both of us. Opening a tin I dropped it into Rowley’s bowl, the proud English sheepdog tucked in and was soon chasing the bowl around the floor. For myself I prepared cornflakes, and settled down in front of the television to eat them.

Once I was finished I stood up and placed the bowl on the coffee table, whistling to Rowley I placed him on his leash and walked out of my house. Stepping onto the street I started my walk to Victory Park the home of Chorley FC where I had finished my career.

I say I finished my career but it was actually an accident I had had that had finished it off. Driving back down to my parent’s home in London one night, I had suffered a hypo at the wheel and had crashed my car into the central reservation of the M40, I was soon diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic. I could have carried on with my footballing career even as a diabetic, but the broken leg I had also suffered in the crash had spelt the end.

I soon arrived at the ground, slipping through one of the side gates, I approached the social club, where Ken Wright had told me he wanted to meet me. Tying Rowley to a post outside, I stepped inside.

“Danny!” Ken greeted me.

“Hello Ken” I replied.

Ken gestured to a seat by one of the tables and I took it.

“You look frozen.”

“I’ve never been able to adjust to the North.”

“Tea?”

I nodded my answer, I wanted to get down to business and get on with my day.

Ken soon plonked a mug of tea in front of me, he sat down with his mug, and opened a packet of sugar, and once he had poured his sugar he offered me a packet.

“No thanks, diabetes.”

He nodded and placed the packet back in front of him.

“So how does it feel? Manager of Chorley?”

“It feels good. Like home.”

“And how does Melanie feel about it?”

“She’s happy that she gets to stay in Chorley, I mean she’s from here.”

“No ring on the finger yet though?”

I shook my head, why had this meeting suddenly turned into a chat about my relationship with Melanie?

“Right then, down to business. There is no money for transfers. But I can give you £2.9k per week for wages if you can mount a title challenge.”

I nodded, I was going to do more than mount a title challenge, I was going to win the league.

“Also you will have to find your own assistant. I can place an ad if you want.”

“Please.”

Ken nodded and looked at me, trying to remember what he had to say.

“There is a chance for you to meet the local press tomorrow at 9am, I want you here.”

“Fine, how many should I be expecting?”

“Just the one, and it will take place in here.”

I nodded it was going to be nothing like my dream.

“Well that’s it really, you know where your office is.”

Standing up Ken shook my hand and left. I soon followed him, untying Rowley from the post I led him round to my office, it was small but there was enough room for a desk and a couple of filing cabinets.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Wednesday 7th​ July 2010[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Ken had left me a copy of the advert he had posted in the Non-League Paper, and in various other media sources.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Determined and forward thinking club, need an assistant manager who has experience of working in the conference and above. Applicants need to be determined to improve, and should be extremely ambitious.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Reading it over and over again, I found it getting funnier every time I read it, Ken had obviously tried but I wished he had left it up to me. Looking up at the clock I had placed in my office, I noticed that it was five minutes to nine, and therefore time for me to head over to the social club to meet Fred Graham, journalist for the Chorley Guardian. I walked down the tunnel and emerged onto the pitch, walking across the pitch I hopped over the boundary wall at the end and entered the social club. As soon as I entered I spotted Ken talking to a middle aged man, approaching them I put my hand up in greeting.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Danny, this is Fred.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Hello, how are you?” I said.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Fred nodded and stared as if trying to figure me out. I pulled one of the chairs out in front of him and sat down.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“So, Danny, here you sit as the new manager of Chorley, how do you feel?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Yeah, it’s a great feeling knowing that I have a chance to take this great club forward.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“What changes will you make?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Every player will have a chance to prove themselves to me.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Do you feel you can bring success to this club?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Ask me at the end of the year.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“I know you work as the Headteacher of one of the local schools, how will you juggle the two jobs?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“I’ve already worked out how I am going to split my time between the two. I will be very involved here.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“So what is you management style?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“I like to be hands on, and I want the players to approach me with any problems.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Finally, what about tactics?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Attack. I will build on a rock solid defence, and encourage the players to attack.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
At that moment Fred’s mobile rang, as he stood and answered it, I looked round at Ken who put both thumbs up.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“I’ve got to go.” Fred told us.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Both myself and Ken nodded our goodbyes as he left, probably to report on a fete, or something.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“What friendlies have you arranged?” Ken asked.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Ummm none just yet, I’ve phoned a couple of managers but nothing is concrete.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Well make sure you arrange some soon.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
I nodded and stood up to leave, thinking of clubs that might be interested in playing us.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thursday 8th​ July[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
After spending the majority of Wednesday trying to find teams interested in playing us in a friendly, I had finally managed to find 4 teams, of varying stature in the footballing pyramid. We were due to play Plymouth on the 25th​ July, AFC Hornchurch on the 28th​ July, Lincoln City on the 31st​ July and Hucknall on the 3rd​ August. All of the friendlies were to be played at home, Ken was extremely happy about the Plymouth fixture as he felt it would be a money-spinner. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
After finalising the details of the friendlies with Ken, I set off to the Plough, the closest pub to Victory Park, after the social club, plus Melanie works there and I hadn’t seen her in the past couple of days. The walk was brief, it was cold in Chorley, it always seemed to be cold in Chorley. I’d once joked with Melanie, that any tourism board in Chorley should use the tagline “Chorley, the town where it is always grey.” [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Stepping through the door of the Plough I was greeted by the smiling face of Melanie.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Hey stranger, how are you?” [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Good, you?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Yeah, I’ve missed you. Carling?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
I nodded and sat on one of the stools by the bar. Melanie plonked my pint down in front of me and stood chatting to me.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
About half an hour after I had entered, a group of lads entered and approached the bar.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Oi, you’re that Preston aren’t you.” One of them said.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Yeah, I’m Danny Preston.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Why should I come and watch your lot then?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Well by the look of your Man City shirt, you don’t actually like football, so.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“What’s that supposed to mean?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
I sighed, “Nothing. Just come to Victory Park, if you want to support your local team.” [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
My questioner grunted and walked over to the pool table where his mates were stood. Melanie looked at me and smiled.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Let’s hope they don’t attend.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Maybe they should, it would certainly raise attendances.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Oh and Martin says you best win the league this season.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
I drained the rest of my pint, and stood up to leave.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Dinner tonight?” I asked.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Yeah sure.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Friday 13th​ August 2010[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Some people don’t like this date, and I’m one of them usually, but today was different, today was the eve of the new football season. I dressed quickly and bounced down the stairs, Rowley looked at me apathetically as I poured a tin of food into his bowl, and proceeded to put bacon on my George Foreman. I ate the sandwich as quickly as I had made it. I walked down to Victory Park dragging Rowley behind me as I went.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
I arrived at Victory Park and was greeted by Billy Dodds, my new assistant manager, he was staying in a hotel local, and looked like he hadn’t had a great night’s sleep.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“How’s the house hunt going?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Hoping to finalise a house today.” [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
I nodded and we walked into the social club. Sitting at one of the tables was Fred Graham. I sat down in front of him.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Now then Danny, how excited are you about the season ahead?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Extremely, I can’t wait to start.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Do you feel confident that you can get off to a good start?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Of course I do, what kind of manager would I be if I didn’t. Ok pre-season didn’t bring a victory but we were playing teams from much higher up.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“You only have 14 players available, will we see some new faces soon?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
I sat back in my chair at this point, trying to formulate an answer. We had let a good chunk of the squad go and were now left with the bones of a squad. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Yes, you will be seeing new faces, I have a few irons in the fire.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Good, what about tactics?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“As I told you last time we met, we will attack. Simple as.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“What about Chester?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“What about Chester? They are on the same level as us, ok there fanbase is a lot larger, but we cannot show them any fear. The Deva, or whatever name it has now, is just another stadium.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“How do you think there fans will react to you?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Honestly, I don’t think they will care about me. I had a good time there, the fans hated me at first, but then that hate turned to apathy.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Well that’s all I need.” [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Standing up I shook Fred’s hand, and walked over to Billy.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Right, take the rest of the day off, I’ll see you tomorrow, bright and early.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Billy nodded, and we left the social club, I untied Rowley from outside and led him home.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Saturday 14th​ August 2010[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
My alarm didn’t need to wake me this morning, I had been sat awake since 7am, I had been staring at the television for two hours but I had no idea what had been said. Stepping out of bed, I made sure I put my right foot down first. Stepping across to the wardrobe I stared at the suit, and tracksuit that I had hung up. I couldn’t choose between the two, if I chose the suit, I would look business like, ready to win, someone not to be messed with. If I chose the tracksuit I would look like one of the boys, someone ready to run onto the pitch and play, maybe I would look like Tony Pulis. God no, I grabbed the suit after that thought. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
After getting dressed I bounded down the stairs, looking at Rowley, I stroked his head three times. I poured his tin of food into his bowl, and stepped into the kitchen. Grabbing a spoon, I tapped it three times against the side of the bowl. I poured some cornflakes, and then sat on the sofa. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Right boy, I’ll see you later, wish me luck.” [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
My response was an uncaring stare, followed by Rowley wandering off to his basket. Turning round I walked out of the house and walked to the ground. As soon as I arrived I entered my office, and sat down wondering what I should be doing, luckily Billy knocked on the door soon after.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Danny, the kit hasn’t been laid out.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Isn’t there a kitman?” [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“No, Ken says it’s our job.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
I stood up and walked to the changing room, sure enough the kit was still in the kitbag, grabbing the first shirt, I picked it up and placed it on a hanger, I then placed the hanger on a peg. Billy took the shorts and made sure they were laid out neatly. We repeated this 14 times until there was enough kit for everyone. By the time we had finished, the players had started to arrive.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Lloyd Rigby,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Lee Woodyatt
Nick Meace
Andrew Teague
Jez Fitzgerald[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Dale Whitham
Nathan Fairhurst
Jamie Vermiglio
Jack Dorney[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
John Cunliffe
Matt Jansen[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Subs: Jordan Stepien, Perry Brookbanks, Craig Coates.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
As soon as I had read the teamsheet out, I left the changing room, Billy followed me, and we stood by the side of the pitch. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Are you sure we should have let all of those players go?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Yeah, it’ll all be fine. Anyway if we hadn’t we wouldn’t have a lot of room to manoeuvre in the market.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Right, and I’m taking the warm up?” [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“You and Matt.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Bill nodded and jogged away with the rest of the team who had just emerged from the tunnel. As I stood and watched the warm-up I felt the first drops of rain begin to fall, the first drops were soon followed by more. After half an hour, the players jogged back towards the dressing room.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Right lads, it’s the first game of the season, we owe the people that have come along to watch us a win, be it by 1, 2, 3 or 4 goals we must win, we can win and we will win.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Andrew Teague led the players out, as I stepped into the tunnel, I looked round for the referee Tim Robinson, he was a tall man, with a close cut haircut, hopefully he would be quite lenient. Curzon Ashton stepped out of their changing room, and lined up in the tunnel. During my time at many of the league clubs I had played for, the teams would have been greeted by a roar from the fans. However we were greeted by a light smattering of applause, and one or two shouts of “Come on you Magpies.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
John Cunliffe and Matt Jansen stood on the centre circle and as soon as Tim Robinson blew his whistle, they kicked off. John immediately passed the ball back to Nathan Fairhurst who lumped the ball forward, in a Tony Adams-ish style. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
In the 11th​ minute Dale Whitham collected the ball on the right hand side of midfield, sprinting down the wing he swung a cross into the middle, Matt met the ball controlled it and sent a volley flying goalwards. The ball smashed off of the crossbar, and landed at the feet of Jamie Vermiglio who passed it wide to Jack Dorney, Jack knocked the ball passed the Curzon right-back and sent another cross into the box, this time it was John Cunliffe that met the ball, and he made no mistake with his header.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
As soon as Curzon kicked off they went onto the attack, but our defence stayed strong and met any Curzon attack. Few chances were created following the goal, the only other bright moment was that the rain started to ease up. Tim Robinson, blew for half time, and we entered the changing room.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Come on! Keep going! We can still get another goal, one – nil is a dangerous scoreline, if we can get another then we can be happy.” [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Curzon kicked off and I sat down in my seat, hoping for another goal.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
In the 62nd​ minute, Matt looked across and waved at the bench, to signal that he needed to come off, to be honest I had seen that he was struggling and was preparing to bring him off. As soon as the ball went out of play, I signalled for the ref and sent Jordan Stepien on for Matt Jansen.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Our first bit of luck came in the 65th​ minute, as Curzon broke on the counter attack and stormed into our half, their right winger whipped in a cross, which Adam Cole met with a header, as the Curzon players and fans started to celebrate, the linesman raised his flag and signalled for offside.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Come on lads, we need a second!” I shouted.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Our hopes were raised by our luck, and soon Jordan saw a chance cleaned off of the line, Nathan was unlucky not to meet a Dale Whitham cross and Nick Meace was penalised for a foul on the Curzon keeper.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Curzon appeared to have given up, and we began to coast, which almost bit us on the backside in the 91st​ minute as yet again the linesman saved us, after Wayne Cahill saw his goal ruled out for offside. Following this I put my hands together in silent prayer and prayed for the next two minutes to pass quickly.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
As soon as I heard the final whistle I leapt to my feet and celebrated our narrow victory, applauding the 180 people that had turned out to watch us I headed down the tunnel.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Final Score: Chorley 1-0 Curzon Ashton[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Well done guys, enjoy a couple of beers tonight, but remember this is only one step on the road. If anyone living in Chorley is going for a beer, then I will be in the Plough, if you want to join me, then fine, if you don’t want your boss to see you drunk, then avoid it.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
As I left the changing room I high-fived Billy, and invited him for a beer at the Plough, where I knew Melanie and her family would be drinking. He agreed and we headed for the exit.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Danny! Wait up!”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Turning round I saw Ken walking towards me.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Well done today, even with 14 players we are strong. Plus we have sold 65 season tickets.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Only 65?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Yeah, but it’s still money at the end of the day.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
I nodded, “Right we’re going for a beer, care to join us?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Ken shook his head, “I’ve got to try and get some more money out of some sponsors.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Walking up the road towards the Plough, we were congratulated on our win by a couple of Chorley fans.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
On arrival at the pub, myself and Billy were greeted by a cheer from Melanie and her family, pats on the back followed, and our offers to buy drinks were rejected. In fact I didn’t put my hand in my pocket all night. As I was about to leave, I spotted the Man City fan who had spoken to me the other day.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Did you come to the game?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“No. City were on Sky.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Well you missed a good game.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Again he grunted, turning round I took Melanie’s hand and began the walk back to my place. We were greeted by Rowley, who marshalled me over to his bowl, dumping a tin of food into his bowl. I sat on the sofa, as Melanie fetched a bottle of wine from the kitchen. As we settled down for a drink, Rowley finished his food and began to demand that I take him for a walk.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Are you coming?” I asked Melanie[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Suppose so.” She replied.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Grabbing my coat, I put Rowley on his leash and we went round the block. After half an hour we headed home and finally Melanie and myself were
able to have the drink we had been waiting for. Bed soon followed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Monday 16h August 2010[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
At 4pm I walked to the social club, I had a meeting with Fred from the Chorley Guardian. There was a buzz around the ground as we were playing local rivals Bamber Bridge in a league match the next day. Bamber Bridge is situated just south of Preston, and is therefore a quick drive up the M61. There was a lot of importance being placed on this fixture, and I knew all about the rivalry between the two sides.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
As soon as I walked into the social club I spotted Fred, sat in his usual seat, today he had a pint of Guinness sat in front of him, by the looks of it it was freshly poured as he was still waiting for it to settle. Sitting down in front of him, I waited for him to start the questions.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Afternoon Danny, do you feel you will be able to continue your good start to the season?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Well I hope so, as I want to build a good sequence of results.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“So this will be your first rival clash of the season, what do these games bring to the league?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“They add spice and excitement, not that the league is boring.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Will the players feel any pressure?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Well yes, but the fans will hopefully turn that pressure into a great atmosphere which will really spur them on.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“But could that pressure lead to players losing discipline?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Hopefully not as our best chance of winning is with 11 players on the pitch.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“So what about yourself? Any nerves?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“I’ll be honest, there are slight nerves, but I’m going to use that to encourage the players.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Fred nodded and sat back in his seat, his pint of Guinness had finally settled, and I guessed he wanted to drink it. I extended my hand across the table which he shook, I stood up and left the social club. As I did Ken came up to me.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Colne, at home.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“When?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Saturday 28th​ August.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
I nodded, this was excellent news, a home draw in the FA Cup. But then again I didn’t have a clue who Colne actually were.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Right I’ll see you tomorrow then Danny.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Right.”[/FONT]

Back