One Man's Journey to Significance

• Thread starter Thread starter ZeCarlos
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 4K

ZeCarlos

Reaction score
One Man's Journey to Significance

Brandon Thorpe - I'm just one of 7 billion humans worldwide. I'm trying to make my way like the rest of those who weren't lucky enough to be born into money and fame. Or is it unlucky? Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. I respect those that deserve to be respected but I'm also no fool. I travelled around a little before arriving in Barcelona to attend University somewhere new.

I'd always loved the game of football - I decided to study Sports at University. Upon arrival, I immediately realised I needed some income and searched for jobs. After rejection from several different small firms and to my surprise, I was offered a job as a football manager. As a 22-year-old I had demanding pressures shoved upon me. I was coaching people 10 years my elder. I can't complain though - I thrived under pressure. With a team struggling to avoid relegation, I managed promotion. I had an instant feeling for management.

Whilst living in Barcelona, I'd met a young Spanish girl. Alejandra Martinez was her name. We instantly fell for each other. A young and stupid couple some may say. For whatever reason, it didn't work out. We split up back in January.

At the end of the season, I felt I had done everything I could for the club. We would struggle in the division above with barely no money and I decided to be open about other opportunities - although I wouldn't purposely go out and find another job.

17th of June, 2012

Upon arrival, the change in temperature instantly hit me. I was used to extreme heat and permanent sunshine - yet I was given rain and wind. It was much colder, too. Munich International Airport was huge. I searched for my suit case along the conveyor belt and quickly found it. An elderly gentleman was struggling with his case, so I gave him a hand.

I headed outside in search of a taxi and was greeted by a sea of yellow. Better than having none, I thought. I was heading about an hour away. To reach my destination, we had to enter Munich before leaving for the north. Munich was a beautiful place - filled with millions of buzzing tourists. My taxi soon descended away from the city lights and we were led out into the countryside.

I took the time out to think about what I was doing. Was this really the right move for me? Had I earned it - or was I just jumping into something way above my depth? I wasn't really sure, but after the eventful past 12 months or so in Barcelona, I knew I had to get away from there. This had to be the right move.

I felt pretty intimadated. Leaving for a country I'd never visited before was daunting. I suppose I'd already moved to Barcelona when I'd only visited there once. I never knew any locals there, so I'm sure I'd be fine. My thinking was cut short when we turned off the main road into a huge unfilled carpark. There were only one or two cars parked near the far side. The taxi approached and stopped - I paid him my fare and off he went. I looked up - "Audi Sportpark"

This was my moment. Everything else had been sorted - I just needed my name on that dotted line. Myself and Mr. Jackwerth had already spoken and we had come to an agreement. I would be officially the manager of FC Ingolstadt 04 in a couple of days time.

Last edited:
19th of June, 2012

"You have been trusted with position of manager at a relatively large club. How do you think you will cope?" Asked one journalist,

"I'll cope just fine. Although I've only ever had one management job, I feel confident with the game. I'm very young for a manager and looking to prove myself. I'll be forever grateful to Ingolstadt for this great oppurtunity. I won't disappoint the fans or board. I'm here to do a job," Mr. Jackwerth looked at me and smiled,

"With the club only just surviving relegation last time out - what are your personal expectations for the coming year?" I could feel the journalists trying to put me under pressure in the hope of a slip-up,

"Personally?" I stopped for a moment, "I'm looking at promotion," the journalists started furiously writing down notes whilst one or two laughed, "I haven't come here to avoid relegation or aim for mid-table. I signed for promotion,"

"And just how do you think you can manage that? You can't speak German and you're relatively unknown. Big names won't sign for such an..." the journalist stopped for a moment, "inexperienced manager,"

"We don't need big names to get promoted. Europa worked on the tightest budget of the league whilst I was in charge. They were relegation-threatened when I took charge there and within the first season I had them promoted. I expect the same here," before any journalists could ask further questions, Mr. Jackwerth intervened,

"That will be all the questions for now, thank you. Anything further will have to wait,"

29th of June, 2012

I turned up to training earlier than the rest. Although I'd officially been manager for ten days, I'd asked my assistant to take training. He was the only one from the club - other than Mr. Jackwerth - that I'd met and he seemed decent. Passionate for the job - for the club.

The players began to turn up in drips. I greeted each one cheerfully and they all seemed happy to finally see me. Upon arrival, I told them to take their time to get ready and spend some time in the gym or something. I still had one or two things to sort out. I could already feel the extra pressure in this job compared to my unknown existence back at Europa.

I headed in through the main reception and I was greeted pleasantly by the receptionist. I walked down a long corridor and finally came to the door which read,

"Brandon Thorpe
Manager
"

I stepped inside and took a seat. Started up my PC and checked my e-mails. One or two from several people I knew and one important one. It was my scouts report on Rodriguinho who I'd told him to take a look at. He came back positive - stating he would be a very influential player. I immediately sent an e-mail off to Fluminense tabling a €750,000 offer.

I headed out onto the training pitch where the players had just assembled and my assistant manager stood next to me.

"Set them away in a 11v11 match. I want to see how they can perform together and against each other," I said,

"Okay, okay. Simple 4-4-2?" He looked back at me,

"Yeah, stick to the basics. Anything on that lad?" I asked,

"Tarta? They've accepted our €1,500,000 bid. He's flying over to sign for us tomorrow," I folded my arms,​

"Good. I've just tabled an offer for another of their players," he smiled at me and walked away to inform the players of their forthcoming training session.​

One or two players stood out - especially Marvin Matip. He seemed key in the heart of defence for the forthcoming season and I wanted to hold onto him. Leo Haas seemed to dominate midfield as well. They both looked like they could be very important to me in the future.

13th of July, 2012

After winning our first two friendlies four nil - against Vitesse and Paris FC - home and away respectively, we looked in good shape. Today, we had the visit of Valenciennes FC - another French side. This one was home again before we travelled to FC Montceau Bourgogne in two days time.

After signing the players I felt we lacked, I was confident. Having beaten a strong Vitesse side four nil, the team were also confident. Today's opponents would be no push-overs though - they are a strong side with some very capable players. The players had arrived early and headed out onto the pitch wearing their tracksuits to meet the supporters. I felt it was vital to get an instant connection with the locals.

After an hour or two of mingling, I called the players in and informed them of my team selection. I chose one of the strongest sides I could - very different from that which comfortably beat Paris FC.

Ingolstadt 04: Ramazan Ozcan, Andreas Gorlitz, David Pisot, Marvin Matip, Andreas Schafer, Fabian Gerber, Johan Andresson, Rodriguinho, Leo Haas, Tarta, Ahmed Akaichi.

Subs: Jerzy Dudek, Mbulelo Mabizela, Mathias Wittek, Collin Quaner, Max Ehmer, Andreas Buchner, Ricardo Bueno, Samir El Moussaoui, Sebastian Zielinsky, Edson Buddle, Ronald Gercaliu, Moise Bambara.

Ingolstadt 0-1 Valenciennes

The match was good - played in the right spirit. I was impressed with both sides - even ourselves despite the defeat. A good team turned up on the day and to get beaten from a good footballing side was no negative.

Marvin Matip once again stood out - he was a rock at the back. He would be a very important player for the coming season. Despite the defeat, I didn't give to much attention to the result. It was a confident performance and player fitness seemed good.

At half-time, the game was goalless. I made three substitutions - they would prove to be our only substitutes used. Mabizela, Quaner and Buddle came on.

"We're playing well and creating chances - we just need to take them more often" I told them, "We've done it in the past games and it's the only thing missing today. Go out there and win this!"

We kept creating chances and it was a pretty open game. We fell behind in the 54th from a bullet header. Nothing to be ashamed of. We continued to create chances, but nothing came of it. Full time.

"Great performance lads. It's not about the result - just keep playing that way and we'll be fine," I continued, "get yourselves home and get some rest. We're away in two days time - be prepared!"

The players didn't seem too happy that we were away in France in a couple days time - I totally agree. It's not great travelling around - draining energy - just for pre-season but it's all experience for the big day.

Great start mate, I like it... Glad to see you got Rodriguinho.

Will be checking back too see how you go on in France.

21st of July, 2012

After beating FC Montceau Bourgogne almost a week ago - we were ready for kick-off. Today was the big day. Against the much weaker Montceau side I had played a mixed team - filled with both youth and experience. We had ran out three nil winners but to be honest, we could have won by six or seven. As I said before - it wasn't about the result though. The players performance and fitness were what mattered to me in pre-season.

Today was the big day. The day we had trained for - we had literally spent days on the training field. I was confident after training so much. At the end of many of those days, the players couldn't wait to get home and put their feet up but I wouldn't allow it. I drilled them into the ground until I decided they were ready for today. FSV Frankfurt were expected to finish near us in the table, so it was imperative we got off to a good start. Being away from home only made the forthcoming task harder.

After returning from the pre-match warm up's, the lads seemed settled. They were a confident bunch for today's game. Although these boys were used to playing before such a crowd - 8,000 eagerly-awaiting fans slightly intimidated me. I guess I would have to get used to it to make it to the big time. The changing rooms were very close to the pitch, and the fans were easily heard. It seemed a daunting task for a 23-year-old.

"Right lads - get out there and play your football. We haven't trained so much to come here and get a hammering. We are here to pick up three points. I shouldn't have to remind you how I want this doing - we've been through it one hundred times in the past month. Come on lads!" I screamed.

The lads cheered each other on to the sound of clattering boots. We left the tunnel into the arena of passionate fans. This was it.

Ingolstadt 04: Ramazan Ozcan, Andreas Gorlitz, Max Ehmer, Marvin Matip, Andreas Schafer, Johan Andersson, Malte Mezelder, Rodriguinho, Leo Haas, Tarta, Ahmed Akaichi

Subs: Ricardo Bueno, Collin Quaner, Moise Bambara, Fabian Gerber, Ronald Gercaliu, Edson Buddle, Mbulelo Mabizela

***​

View attachment 227189
FSV Frankfurt 0-2 FC Ingolstadt
(Frankfurter Volksbank Stadion | 8,096)

The match was great - we played the match and not the occasion. Fluid, solid football accompanied the roar from both sets of supporters. Our profligacy meant we ran out two nil winners but I was also impressed by the performance of our opponents. A great advertisement for football.

In the 22nd minute, we took the lead. A beautifully weighted through ball was knocked over the top and Akaichiran onto it. A lack of communication was Frankfurt's downfall but we took full advantage - a top class goal.

About twenty minutes later, we scored a goal of the highest quality. Some fantastic one touch football down our left-hand side allowed Schafer to showcase his great crossing ability. Rodriguinho put an uncertain left-back under extreme pressure and fortunate for us - he headed past his own goalkeeper.

"Keep it going lads - this is excellent. Some great football and two positive goals. Keep it up and three points will be ours. This is here for the taking. Come on!"

At half-time, I made two substitutions - Max Ehmer came off for Mbulelo Mabizela and Malte Metzelder made way for Moise Bambara

The great football continued into the second half and the fans were enjoying their day out. It was a great spectacle and days like these made football stronger. Everybody came together for a fun day out for both sets of supporters - even the hosts enjoyed themselves.

With seven minutes left, we earned a penalty. A poor corner was dropped in at the front post and with no apparent danger, the same uncertain left-back who scored an own goal handled inside the box. Great! Akaichi stepped up for his second - but knocked it onto the post. Akaichi had played well today and I felt it was time to give him a rest. Fabian Gerber took his place on the field.

The full-time whistle went soon after. Both sets of supporters cheered their respective players off the pitch and I gave extra appreciation to the Ingolstadt fans. A great three points in the bag which will help us come the end of the season.

"That's a great performance boys! A good three points on the board which may prove to be vital! The solid football we've worked on has proven itself today. Good performance!"

25th of July, 2012

Today, I took a day off from the pressures of football. Having time off is unusual among the modern-day image of football but I felt it was necessary. Sven - my assistant - offered to take training for a day whilst I recover from my an eventful year or so. Odd days off like this may become a common occurrence - although I hope they won't. I need my head in the game.

I woke up around ten - much later than my daily routine of half seven. I had a morning of relaxing - whilst eating breakfast the paper arrived and I quickly switched over to the back pages to look at the sport. I'd begun to accumulate a basic understanding of the German language - to my surprise, I'd made it onto the back page.

"Manager weiterhin Fans und Medien gleichermaßen gewinnen"
- "Manager continues to win fans and media alike"

I was glad the fans had begun to warm to me. It was key in my eyes - I'd given myself a two to three month period to win the fans over otherwise I'd leave. If the fans didn't want me - I'd simply leave. I know the feeling of your beloved club being managed by a fool. Take Steve Bruce as an example.

After my delicious breakfast, I spend half an hour or so working out on the treadmill while looking out over the city. The hustle and bustle down below looked chaotic and I decided to head out into town. Although I had a highly paid job, I still respected that I wasn't above anybody else. I still lived my every day life like the general public - I went shopping and I went on day trips.

I had a quick shower before heading out. I had a short walk from my temporary hotel to a local shop. I spent five or so minutes deciding which snacks to chose before heading to the check-out. To my astonishment, I was actually noticed by the cashier. He wished me well for the coming season.

I wandered over to a clothes shop and bought some casual jeans and t-shirt. On my way back to my hotel room, I was even asked to stop and get a picture with an enthusiastic fan. After finally making it back to the hotel room, I stretched out on my bed and began dreaming of winning trophies against world-class managers like Sir Alex Ferguson and Pep Guardiola.

18th of August, 2012

After beating St. Pauli (3-2) and 1860 Munchen (3-1), we managed to gain another point away from home at Dusseldorf with a scoreline of 1-1. After four games in the league, we comfortably sat second and although it was only four games played - I'd made the press look stupid after their pre-season mockery of me.

I was filled to the brim with anticipation for today though - the first round of the DFB-Pokal. We had been drawn against Frankfurt - currently sitting ninth in the Bundesliga. It sure would be a huge challenge - but I was confident the lads would be up for it. They may be ninth in the division above us, but after looking over their side, they don't have anything which particularly stands out against ourselves. It should make for a good game.

The weather was good - a humid 26° with no breeze. It would surely test both sides' fitness levels today.

"We stick to our game-plan out there today boys. They may be above us but we can more than match them. Let's get out there and put a solid performance in! Play the match and not the occasion!"

Ingolstadt 04: Ramazan Ozcan, Andreas Gorlitz, Marvin Matip, Mbulelo Mabizela, Andreas Shafer, Fabian Gerber, Malte Matzelder, Rodriguinho, Johan Andersson, Tarta, Ahmed Akaichi.

Subs: Jerzy Dudek, Ronald Gercaliu, Collin Quaner, Edson Buddle, Max Ehmer, Leo Haas, Ricardo Bueno.​

View attachment 227259
FC Ingolstadt 3-0 Frankfurt
(Audi Sportpark | 11,425)

I was extremely impressed. Solid defending was linked up with an efficient attack by a fluid midfield. Everything just seemed to work for us today - I was very proud of the performance and the scoreline. Hopefully we can keep this level of performance up in the coming games.

Half an hour in, we showcased all the hard work which had been done in training with a great move. We managed to keep possession for 27 passes before finally Gorlitz knocked a cross in which a defender put into his own net. It may have been an own-goal, but it was a great team effort.

Ten minutes later, we got lucky. A corner was drifted in and Rodriguinho rose above the crowd. The keeper attempted a punch out, but it rebounded off an opposition defender and into the net.

"Keep this going boys! So far we've absolutely dominated and shown our class. This level of performance is great! Let's get out there and show the country what we can do!"

I decided to make no changes at half-time as the lads were playing well not only individually, but also as a team. It was very impressive.

Ten minutes into the second-half, we once again showcased some excellent football. A quick counter-attack was topped off when Metzelder played a through ball for Tarta who coolly slotted under the onrushing goalkeeper. We had finally put the game out of the opposition reach.

With full-time fast approaching, Frankfurt nearly found a way through. Some sloppy defending allowed a rare one-on-one situation - only for our on-form keeper to come to the rescue.

A solid performance had insured we would be in the 2nd round of the DFB-Pokal.

"That's absolutely excellent lads! Fully deserved! It was a good showcase of talent and we dominated a side who were expected to come here and teach us how to play football. We're playing really well at the minute - we just need to keep it up though. Don't get complacent otherwise you will spend the next month with the reserves - and I mean that. For now, go and enjoy yourself before Bochum next Saturday!"​

great updates mate and good results especially against frankfurt they quite a solid side.

24th of December 2012

I arrived at Berlin Central Station with plenty of time to spare - my taxi had got across town quick. After landing at Berlin Tegel Airport only an hour ago - I'd had a brief glimpse of the famous city. It was beautiful - the glow of the large city accompanied by the hustle and bustle of its excited inhabitants - and tourists.

Christmas Eve - a truly magical time.

Last year I had spent it with Alejandra. The year before was spent with my family back in the north-east of England. This year?

This year was to be spent travelling across a largely still-unknown country filled with millions of native people I could hardly interact with.

My train was due to be leaving Berlin Central Station at around 19:30 but upon arrival, I was told it was cancelled indefinitely due to the horrendous weather conditions which had engulfed much of Europe. I was stuck here until further notice. I must count myself lucky though - millions of others would be spending these deadly winter nights out in the cold. At least I was held up in one of the busiest train stations throughout Europe.

I drank countless cups of coffee - I was lucky enough to find a Starbucks confined within the train station - until I was eventually informed my train would be leaving around 23:45. Great. I was asked to head to the ticket office with my now-useless ticket and get an exchange. I finished my coffee and was about to head for the ticket office. Before I stood up, I checked for my ticket - gone. Sh*t.

I patted my pockets for a couple of seconds before a passing Englishman interrupted,

"Excuse me, Sir. English?" He had a friendly smile upon his face,

"Uh," my worried mind caused me to stutter, "Yeah... yeah. I think I've lost my ticket,"

"Oh, oh. Have you checked all of your pockets? Maybe its fallen on the floor?" He seemed in a rush,

"Yeah, I've checked everywhere," I replied,

"Oh, well I'm sorry I can't help at all - my train is leaving in ten," he pointed to a distant platform,

"Ah, no bother Sir. Thanks for your help." I shook his hand and he headed off.

F*ck. I stood up from my seat and checked my pockets once more. Nothing. I put my coffee down and emptied my pockets on the table I'd occupied for some time now. Still nothing. I looked up and seen a young women approaching. She looked early 20's... maybe even the same age as me. She was wearing casual clothes - a simple top which must have been freezing in this harsh weather, jeans and heals. I recognized her face from somewhere - although I wasn't quite sure where.

"Uh, hello..." She struggled for words, "Are you... okay, Sir?" I could immediately tell she was German,

"Yes... yes. I lost my ticket," she looked up at me,

"Can I help in anyway? Help you... ticket office?" She smiled - probably half smug at her attempt at English. Although, it was genuine and I was thankful,

"I... I have no, no money," I replied,

"I pay... I pay. It's no bother," she picked up my bag,

"Are you sure? I... I can't repay you. I have nothing," she turned around to face me,

"It's fine... now come on." I followed her through the train station to the ticket office.

After another hour or so, I was finally on-board my train. The young German woman travelled with me... we were headed for the same destination. I had no way to repay her other than give her my coat as she looked cold. After only minutes of being in the train carriage, she had fallen asleep resting on my shoulder - she had obviously had a long day.

I looked out of the window at the harsh winter conditions and looked back at the young woman.

"Some way to spend Christmas" I thought to myself.

To be continued...

Last edited:
8th of September, 2012

After our strong performance in the DFB-Pokal against Frankfurt, we had fallen away. Two disappointing results - a 1-1 draw at home to Bochum and a 1-0 loss away at Aachen - meant we had dropped to sixth. Still, we were continuing to prove the pre-season doubters wrong.

Today we faced weak opposition - in the form of Wehen. They found themselves sitting in fourteenth place - although I wasn't too confident after the two rather dissatisfying results.

Despite the results - the performances weren't too bad. Fatigue had maybe caught up with one or two of the lads which was understandable. After a little break since our last match, I felt the players would be refreshed and therefore kept the same line-up.

"This is it boys - after two bad results it's time to put things right in front of our own crowd. We get out there and score as many as possible - come on!" The lads roared back at me.​

Ingolstadt 04: Ramazan Ozcan, Andreas Gorlitz, Marvin Matip, Mbulelo Mabizela, Andreas Shafer, Fabian Gerber, Malte Matzelder, Rodriguinho, Johan Andersson, Tarta, Ahmed Akaichi.

Subs: Jerzy Dudek, Ronald Gercaliu, Collin Quaner, Edson Buddle, Max Ehmer, Leo Haas, Ricardo Bueno.

***​

View attachment 227477
FC Ingolstadt 4-1 Wehen
(Audi Sportpark | 8,132)

What a great come back from some poor results! The crowd were right behind us throughout and we managed to prove them with some fluent football.

Just seconds into the game - we showed why were able enough to beat a strong Frankfurt side. Some precise passing ended in Rodriguinho beating two men before swinging the ball in at the far post. It was a goal of the highest quality.

With a dominant performance throughout the first half - we doubled our lead in injury time. A corner hung above the opposition defenders' heads and they were clueless as to how to deal with it. Mabizela nodded home to put out fans into raptures.

"This is exactly what I wanted boys! A fantastic performance and we've scored two vital goals! Keep going - the crowd can smell a hammering!"​

Seconds after the restart - Wehen pulled one back. A wonder strike. A smart interchange allowed an opposition forward to find an extra yard and take a snap shot. It was a goal worthy of winning the league - nothing to be disheartened about. If we lost every week to goals of that standard - I wouldn't mind.

Ten minutes later, we stored our two goal lead. Rodriguinho was once again influential - slotting a neat through ball for Akaichi between two defenders. He still had a lot of work to do before earning himself a goal - but he made it look easy. He gently knocked the ball over the on-rushing goalkeeper before tapping in. Cool finish.

With just seconds left before full-time, Andersson scored out fourth. The goal, in essence, was very similar to our opponents. Some neat play in a confined space allowed our man to gain an extra yard and he put it to good use.

"That was great - a solid performance with three points on the board. Let's keep this up going into next week too. Performances like that deserve promotion so lets push on. Well done boys."​

29th of September, 2012

After our demolishing job of Wehen, we then picked up another four points in two games. First, we travelled to Bielefeld and earned a great 3-0 victory. Just days later, we picked up another point at home to Karlsruhe with a 2-2 draw. I was slightly disappointed that we couldn't pick up another three points whilst we were at home - but the team hadn't had much rest from Bielefeld.

We sat comfortably in fifth place and today we faced table-toppers Aue. After a slow start to the season, they had went on a great run and found themselves sat on-top. We were guaranteed a tough game.

My team-selections had been pretty consistent over the past few weeks and I decided to keep it the same once again. Although we had conceded two against Karlsruhe, the defence had been pretty strong in other games and the midfield linked up well with our front three.

"We need three points out there today boys. After several mediocre performances, we need something magnificent today. Aue are a strong side and deserve to be top. Doubters of ourselves have begun to creep back in over recent weeks - so let's use this as a chance to put them all to bed. Gaining three points from a quality side will do us justice!"

Subs: Jerzy Dudek, Ronald Gercaliu, Collin Quaner, Edson Buddle, Max Ehmer, Leo Haas, Ricardo Bueno.

FC Erzgebirge Aue 2-1 FC Ingolstadt
(Erzgebirgsstadion | 14,444)
View attachment 227931

We were expected to get a hammering so I was pretty pleased with the result. A top of the table clash turned into a pretty drab match. The media, myself and both sets of supporters had turned up expecting a show of fantastic football. Instead, we were disappointed when a match of poor quality was played before us.

We feel behind in the early stages. A gusty wind had a constant impact on the game and they took advantage first. A corner was knocked into how box - very high - and the wind helped it swerve and curl. Suddenly, the wind lightened and before anybody could react - the ball was in the net. We had fallen behind to a truly freak goal.

On the stroke of half-time, we pulled ourselves back into the match. A throw-in was played into Rodrgiunho's feet and he nutmegged the right-back. A low cross was knocked into the six yard-box and Andersson slid in.

"A great time to score boys! We've given ourselves a chance and if we can up our game then we can win this. So far it's been disappointing for both sides and we need to step it up. The three points are there for the taking!"

Not long after the restart, we once again fell behind. A long punt up-field by the opposition 'keeper evaded our defence and a lightning-quick striker nipped in. He played a low pass across the box and a tap-in lay in wake for a winger.

Just minutes later, we found ourselves down to ten men. An opposition striker made a meaningful run towards our goal and Mabizela dived in two-footed. We couldn't argue against the red as it was fully deserved.

"That's nothing to be disappointed about boys. We more than matched our top of the table opponents and on another day we could have picked up three points. In the end, the conditions were the difference between the two sides and we can just forget about this result. A good performance but no points - unlucky lads!"​

31st of October, 2012

After picking up a further seven points in the three games following our defeat at Aue, we had begun a little run on the teams above us. We sat in a very respectable fourth place and looked comfortable across the pitch.

Today we faced a totally different challenge - Nurnberg sat in 13th place of Bundesliga. They were a comfortable thirteen points above relegation although their form had been temperamental - to say the least.

Wins against strong opposition such as Bayern Munich and Hoffenheim accompanied losses against bottom club Cottbus and struggling Frankfurt as their previous results.

Our close geographical rivals had granted us use of their pitch for several days before the match was due to play. We eagerly accepted - playing in such a big stadium wasn't the normal amongst these players and I was keen to keep a relaxed atmosphere within the team for such a huge game.

"Right boys - this is it. We're playing big opposition today and we're expected to get beaten. This is the perfect opportunity to get out and show people what we're made of. What Ingolstadt stands for. This is it boys - I don't need to tell you how big of an opportunity this is for each and every one of you. Play the game - not the occasion!"​

Ingolstadt 04: Ramazan Ozcan, Andreas Gorlitz, Marvin Matip, Mbulelo Mabizela, Andreas Shafer, Fabian Gerber, Leo Haas, Rodriguinho, Johan Andersson, Tarta, Ahmed Akaichi

Subs: Jerzy Dudek, Ronald Gercaliu, Collin Quaner, Edson Buddle, Max Ehmer, Malte Matzelder, Ricardo Bueno.

FC Nurnberg 2-0 FC Ingolstadt
(Frankenstadion | 31,329)

Despite the result and elimination from the DPB-Pokal, I was genuinely grateful to the boys for the effort and work-rate they poured into this game.

The first-half was a good spectacle for both sides - good passing and fluid attacking accompanied solid defending across the pitch. Both sides seemed to enjoy the game and the fans seemed glued to what would happen next.

Although the quality of football on show was desirable, neither side created a clear cut chance. The first half was advantage to both sets of defences.

"Come on boys! We've played well so far and all we're missing is a goal. I have my utmost-confidence is you to create something in the second period. We've matched them so far and the football is of top-class. Come on! We can do this boys! Keep pushing!"

The second-half was a much more open affair. Both sides continued to play excellent attacking football - although cracks started to appear in both sides' defence.

Around ten minutes after half-time, we were inches away from taking the lead before seeing ourselves fall behind. Rodriguinho - again being the key man - knocked an absolutely beautiful ball into the area. Akaichi stretched out a leg and the ball stroke the base of the post. A defender made an excellent clearance which soon turned into a long through ball and the opposition striker coolly slotted home. It's a cruel game - football.

We continued to push for a goal and we were once again punished on the counter-attack. Haas lost the ball inside the opposition half and once again - the long ball proved pivotal. Our centre-half was deceived by the flight of the ball and the striker once again found himself in a one-on-one situation. He made no mistake and we were two down.

Minutes from the end - we had a chance. Akaichi's legs were taken from beneath him by the opposition centre-half - who received red - and Rodriguinho stepped up after an excellent performance. A stunning strike was met by an even better save which tipped the ball over the bar. Unlucky.

We played out the remaining minutes on the attack but we had nothing to show for it at the end of the day. A great all-round performance.

"That's unlucky boys. We played well but that's just football - isn't it. You can play brilliantly for ninety minutes and get punished because of two lapses of concentration. It's not a problem boys - we're still running high in the league and we were expected to be defeated today. Remember lads - it's not about what happens, it's how you pick yourself up. Come on!"

1st of December, 2012
A further seven points had been added to our total from the three games following the loss at Nurnberg. A 3-2 victory at Koln was followed by a 4-2 win at home against Paderborn. We then travelled away to Duisburg and earned a hard-fought 1-1 draw. After those impressive results, we sat second - easily within a promotion place.

Furth visited Audi-Sportpark today. They sat fourth - two points from a play-off spot. They would be tough opposition - last weekend they had comfortably beaten strong side St. Pauli and they had already knocked Wolfsburg out of the DFB-Pokal.

These would be our season-defining games. We had to prove we could more than match the top teams in this division to earn a place amongst the elite.

"This is it boys - these are the games we have to be winning. This is one of three before the winter-break. We're nearly half-way but remember boys - we don't just finish this period - we smash through this period. This is the time to pick up vital points. It all starts today - get out there and show them who we are!"

Ingolstadt 04: Jerzy Dudek, Andreas Gorlitz, Marvin Matip, Mbulelo Mabizela, Andreas Shafer, Fabian Gerber, Leo Haas, Rodriguinho, Johan Andersson, Tarta, Ahmed Akaichi

Subs: Ramazan Ozcan, Ronald Gercaliu, Collin Quaner, Edson Buddle, Max Ehmer, Malte Matzelder, Ricardo Bueno.

FC Ingolstadt 1-0 Greuther Furth
(Audi-Sportpark | 13,331)

A great recovery from the boys. We put on an abysmal show in the first half - somehow with the scores still at 0-0 and managed to win it in the second period. Vital points.

Within seconds of the first-half beginning, Furth had hit the post twice in quick succession. A quick break ended with a striker rounding our keeper before knocking it off the post. An opposition player followed up before Matip made a great recovering tackle - knocking the ball onto the post once more.

In a rare move forward for us after a short period of good passing, Andersson gained a yard of his marker and smashed a shot goal-bound. The keeper pulled off a magnificent save and tipped over.

We were lucky to go in still level at the break - but maybe luck comes to the those that are prepared to work hard.

"Come on lads! This isn't us at all! We're lucky to still be level with them at the break and that will frustrate them - let's take advantage! This is it lads - show me what you can do! Come on!"

The boys gave an instant reaction after the break. We kept possession much better and totally dominated our hapless opponents.

Just ten minutes into the second period - and we had the lead. An opposition corner came to nothing and the ball fell to Akaichi on the edge of his own area. He took the game into his own hands and sprinted towards the opposition goal - beating seven different individuals in the process. The keeper looked confident as Akaichi approached - but our man was never going to miss after making such a meaningful run.

After conceding, the opposition didn't step into our half once. We completely dominated - we could have probably scored five or six on another day but that would have been unfair on our unlucky opponents.

"Well done lads! That's exactly what I wanted to see! A fantastic second-half performance and that will embarrass our first-half critics. Well done once again - completely deserved!"

22nd of December, 2012 -- 3:30pm

After having an early kick-off for once and having the chance to put some early pressure on our rivals - we had slipped up. Although we didn't pick up all three points - a draw at St. Pauli is still a very respected result and a point is a point on the board at the end of the season.

After packing our equipment up and the lads were accounted for - we headed out to the coach. I slouched back in my seat. We had finally made it to the winter break and a good set of results had seen us shoot to first. A felt a vibration in my pocket and took out my phone. Ah, Mr. Jackwerth:

"Hey, Brandon! How are you?" I was slightly surprised at the call - we didn't have too much contact although our relationship was good,

"I'm fine Peter - how are you?" I replied,

"I'm good thanks Brandon - hey, good result out there today too. Fans were expecting three points but a draw is respectable against a good team like that. Well done," he seemed fairly upbeat,

"Ah, thanks Peter. It's all down to the lads. We're just heading back on the coach now. First in the winter break should secure my job - huh?" I joked,

"Well, uh... actually that's what I wanted to speak to you about," he paused and his voice took a serious turn, "we've had a call son. Good results with us have attracted attention for yourself,"

"Oh... tell them I'm not interested," I was committed,

"Son, you don't understand. You were given a bigger budget than we could actually afford. A management failure from ourselves somewhere - not your fault. We're drastically loosing money each month and the financial backers are threatening to pull out," he paused for a moment, "we have been offered a very good financial package for your services and we've accepted. They have been given the opportunity to speak with you and I want you to seriously think about it. It could save the club, son." Why hadn't I been previously informed of the financial position of the club?

"I can't leave - what about the fans?" I asked,

"We'll let them know it's us and not you. We're sorry son, but personally I'm urging you to accept their offer. They mean business this year and it's a great step for you. They'll be in contact soon. I've got to go now - we've got a meeting with some potential buyers. Take care son." Peter hung up before I could reply.​

So, I was being forced out of the club. Sigh. We soon left the sophisticated city of Hamburg and entered the beautiful countryside. I stared out of the window at the passing trees and fields. I had a lot of thinking to do before I was in contact with my pursuers.

24th - 25th of December, 2012
continued...

"And so this is Christmas, I hope you have fun, the near and the dear ones, the old and the young..."

The admirable lyrics rang out in my head as we neared Hanover Central Station. The blackened countryside soon turned to an appealing city skyline dotted with several lights here and then. Street lights lit empty streets while only one or two households still at lights remaining on at this late - or early - hour.

The young German - who's name I still didn't know - soon awoke from the movement of the old couple behind us and sat up from my shoulder to look at the passing skyline before looking back at me,

"What time is it?" she looked sleep-deprived,

"Half one," I replied after taking a quick glance at my watch,

"Oh," she moaned before resting back on my ribs, "you still don't know who I am, do you?"

"No," I chuckled, "and you still don't know who I am,"

"Lena Meyer-Landrut" she replied,

"I recognize you from somewhere. Any ideas?" I asked,

"Eurovision - 2010 and 11. I won it in 2010," she sniggered once,

I was completely surprised but tried not to freeze up at the fame currently half-lying on me, "Brandon Thorpe. Football manager - I'm on my way to sign a contract,"

"With Hannover?" she seemed to brighten up, "my family are big supporters,"​

The small talk continued until we arrived at Hanover Central Station and we both departed. I helped her carry her cases off and took her to the Taxi waiting area. After a long wait, and taxi finally arrived and I let her take it. I turned my back and began walking back towards the main building,

"Hey! Wait, you can't just go. It's cold. Where are you staying? We could share taxi," she offered,

"I don't have anywhere to go," I planned on getting a hotel upon arrival but the adverse weather conditions had foiled that plan, "I'll stay here for now,"

"No, no. You won't. Come with me. I have a spare room you can have for now," she held out a hand, "please?"​

I chuckled and picked up my case. I wouldn't be having a meeting with Hannover 96 today because of obvious reasons - Christmas day - so I might as well spend it elsewhere than a train station.

Is anybody interested in this? I haven't posted in almost a week but I didn't want to be writing for nothing :)

Back