• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 706
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill is set to hold talks with James Milner on Monday to discuss the future of the midfielder, who has been linked to Manchester City.

More...

I read there is no way back for Milner. :S

Milner will go probably as Manchester City will turn his head for the wages they offer.

I feel sorry for Martin O'Neill as he is a ****** good manager and yet again another player will leave his tutoring all because of the £ signs being flashed.

Milner will go probably as Manchester City will turn his head for the wages they offer.

I feel sorry for Martin O'Neill as he is a ****** good manager and yet again another player will leave his tutoring all because of the £ signs being flashed.
dont think thats fair to be honest. yes he will make more money, but city are a step up, better side, better players, and are on the rise. villa have plateaud big time now

Same, however Martin O'Neill has a knack for picking up amazing players, I don't doubt he'll find many for the money he'll get for Milner. However, it's not set in stone that Milner's leaving.

Villa fans, look at it this way:

Man City disrupted Lescott and Moyes last summer, calling it the 'Lescott saga', to such a point he was one of the players that halted our start to the season when we lost 6-1 to Arsenal. Moyes then realised it was best for the club to let Joleon go, we got a huge £24million for him and he was arguably the 2nd best defender at Everton, behind Jagielka. With that money, we went and bought Sylvain Distin who's performed well at his age for a backup player, Johnny Heitinga, who was outstanding last season and made it to the World Cup Final and Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, who is 24 and has been tipped for big things. What do City get? An injury prone player who has played maybe slightly more games than Rio Ferdinand. Wow they cocked up, thanks Sparky!

If you have read that and wonder what it has got to do with Milner, well O'Neill will buy a central midfielder for up to £20 million, then buy some extra cover for the team with that remaining £10 million, and Lescott has so far 'failed' at Man City, so Milner could be a squad player, hardly start then the manager might say he wants to get rid of him, like he's done with Lescott.

RANT over. :)

dont think thats fair to be honest. yes he will make more money, but city are a step up, better side, better players, and are on the rise. villa have plateaud big time now

Only a step up with the money that has been invested in them otherwise they would still be an average premier league side. I am hating the way football has become this money monster.

I miss the days when players heads were only turned by the reputation of a club or because there was a manager that was good enough to take a team onto winning trophies like in the 70's, 80's and early 90's but then again thats because I am old school.

But he will be wasted at City without playing time.

AM they have Silva
Wingers: They have Johnson and even Silva can play
CM: It would be De Jong and Yaya,

Looking at from any point he would be back up at best for City.

He can earn fortune and will few trophies but he can never fulfil his potential. And city dont need to but Milner actually. They have Ireland who is superb talent if used properly. What is the fun in buying just coz you got somebody's money when you cant manage the resources you got..

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

Only a step up with the money that has been invested in them otherwise they would still be an average premier league side. I am hating the way football has become this money monster.

I miss the days when players heads were only turned by the reputation of a club or because there was a manager that was good enough to take a team onto winning trophies like in the 70's, 80's and early 90's but then again thats because I am old school.

Very good one.

ianc and sunilvk7 two good points that i dont disagree with, but im sure milner is going into this with his eyes open, dunne has adised him publically and im sure he will have done the same in depth privately. he strikes me as a smart person so im sure he will also have though about any impact on his england career. at least, that is my hope. if he is playing 30+ games a season, and next season some of those games are CL ones it can only improve him. and lets be fair he wouldnt play 40+ games a season at any of the other top clubs.

ianc and sunilvk7 two good points that i dont disagree with, but im sure milner is going into this with his eyes open, dunne has adised him publically and im sure he will have done the same in depth privately. he strikes me as a smart person so im sure he will also have though about any impact on his england career. at least, that is my hope. if he is playing 30+ games a season, and next season some of those games are CL ones it can only improve him. and lets be fair he wouldnt play 40+ games a season at any of the other top clubs.

I agree with what you say but lets be honest. What was Ade thinking when he signed for City..? That he will be playing and will be important member of the squad. Now with news that Balotelli is aabout to sign for City, it would be matter of time before Ade is shipped off. Mind you Ade was good striker when he was at Arsenal.

IMO same thing will happen to Milner. They want to buy every potential/current superstar every year. That makes his position in the team very shaky and only thing that might save Milner is He is English and 8 members of the squad should be home grown.

If next year City wants to use Milner just to fill up that squad spot then the eventual losers from this deal would be Milner and England coz for City owner 30M is pocket change.

I agree with what you say but lets be honest. What was Ade thinking when he signed for City..? That he will be playing and will be important member of the squad. Now with news that Balotelli is aabout to sign for City, it would be matter of time before Ade is shipped off. Mind you Ade was good striker when he was at Arsenal.

IMO same thing will happen to Milner. They want to buy every potential/current superstar every year. That makes his position in the team very shaky and only thing that might save Milner is He is English and 8 members of the squad should be home grown.

If next year City wants to use Milner just to fill up that squad spot then the eventual losers from this deal would be Milner and England coz for City owner 30M is pocket change.
thats why i added "at least thats my hope"

Last chance saloon, Jimmy.

Either he stays here, gets first team football, develops under the tutelage of one of the best British manager around, and becomes the highest paid footballer in Villa history.

Or, he goes to City, plays occasionally, collects a big fat paycheque and settles for a squad role.

He's had a good world cup, but he's nowhere near the finished article. If he did what was best, he'd stay. If he leaves, it's another victory for money over common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back