Online game query

John Fleming

Reaction score
Hi, does the ability to host an online game depend on computer ability or internet speed?

With regards to internet speed, Is it the download or upload speed that matters? Don't know too much about internet speeds to be honest.

If you are hosting, the other person(s) playing the game are all playing the game on your system, so both upload and download speed are important.

Same thing goes for the computer speed. If you have a average computer it may play pretty fast on a large database with a few leagues loaded when its jsut you playing. But if 2 or 3 others are all playing on your system at the same time, the game can lag terribly, especially during matches played at the same time, or if you are all trawling the databse at the same time looking for transfer targets.

i recently had a computer custom built for games so that is not a problem. It is just the internet speed i am not sure about.

Pretty ropey results, did you have anything else that uses the internet running? Any downloads on the go? Watching sky go on your xbox? etc?

You cant really account for other people in your house but try to get them off the internet just while you do the test.

Also, the slow speed could be indicative of the peak time, most accurate results are usually middle of the night or about 11am.

If your speed results dont improve much, the people playing against you may suffer im afraid, laggy gameplay at their end. The best way is to try hosting a game and ask the others how it goes.

Nothing else using internet unfortunately. Was hoping to get a game with some guys from work. May have to see about changing internet supplier if it doesn't get any better.

I changed from AOL to O2 about 4 years ago. I pay less money now than i did then and my speed is double what AOL could offer.

Not sure how as it all comes down the same pipe!

I pay £7.50 to sky for the broadband then £12.50 or something like that for the line rental. Thought sky would have been a good supplier but hey. Not in my area.

Back