Opening Weekend of the Premier League (14th-16th August)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterStubbs

Reaction score
So after a long and horrible wait for the new starts of the Premier League season after a very disapointing World Cup (depinging on were your from of course.)

Over the course of the season after each weekend I shall be creating a thread that allows you guys to tell the rest of us who impressed you the most over that weekend

After the opening weekend, a total of 26 goals were scored out of the 10 opening games but what I want to no is, which game/team impressed you the most?

Blackburn Rovers 1-0 Everton

I have choosen Blackburn's 1-0 home victory over Everton. Not many peoples obvsious choice but I think Everton could do really well this season and have a very good squad so for Blackburn to come away from this one with all 3 points is very impressive imo. I haven't seen the whole game but from what I saw of the highlights, Blackburn totally controled the game and fully deserved the win. My performance of the week goes to Blackburn Rovers.

So how about you guys?

Last edited:
Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 Manchester City

Joe Hart's performance in goal truly showed that he is the one Capello should pick for the European Championships in 2012.His shot-stopping and reflexes are amazing and he is the future between England's sticks for the next couple of years.Spurs did well with Gareth Bale coming down the left wing and exploiting their defence but City were just too strong defensively.

Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 Manchester City

Joe Hart's performance in goal truly showed that he is the one Capello should pick for the European Championships in 2012.His shot-stopping and reflexes are amazing and he is the future between England's sticks for the next couple of years.Spurs did well with Gareth Bale coming down the left wing and exploiting their defence but City were just too strong defensively.

is a good shout but personally i was a bit disapointed with this game. after all the hype from last season and City's spending spree, the game was quite poor. Spurs i think overal deserved the 3 points but for a world class show from Joe Hart stopped them. City's defence isn't to thank, Joe Hart is and the fact that Spurs couldn't hit the target 9 times out of 10.

Blackpool winning Wigan 4-0!!!
looks like Holloway (sp) will be the next Mourinho...
kind of

CHELSEA 6-0 WEST BROM

Was all about sending out message and my god we have done that. Drogba only had surgery 2 weeks before this match and goes and scores a hat-rick, Lampard had a swollen ankle and played pretty well, Ashley Cole was just sensational, John Terry has absolutely solid and i think the biggest plus is that Florent Malouda looks like he could carry on his excellent form from last season.

I could have also chosen Blackpool and Man Utd who both started with pretty convinsing wins.

Excellent thread Stubbs and thank god the Premierleague is back!!!!

Blackpool winning Wigan 4-0!!!
looks like Holloway (sp) will be the next Mourinho...
kind of

Erm...no, he won't be.

Has his similarities, being the media darling and all.

For me, game of the weekend:

Wigan Athletic 0-4 Blackpool

For title contenders Blackpool, it was all about sending a message to their nearest rivals and by god did they do that. World class Gary Taylor-Fletcher and Marlon Harewood ran the show and looked clinical. They really did show the likes of Chelsea what they are all about, who in this fixture last season, lost 3-1 to Wigan. With top draw manager Ian Holloway at the helm barking his orders, it will be difficult to see past them this season.

ASTON VILLA 3 WEST HAM UNITED 0

Martin O'neil who ?
Aston Villa had a great performance and a few youngsters that played look good like albrechten (sp) and clark and Milner even though he wanted to leave played class and scored a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back