Opinion on Czechs, please!

• Thread starter Thread starter Ghost77
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 2K

Ghost77

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am writing thesis about czech football and would like to know, which czech players are known in foreign (your) countries. It can be players from 90's or later like Pavel Nedved or Karel Poborsky or real time players.

1. So who is first player or players on your mind, when you are asked about czech football? (besides Pavel and Karel :))
2. What do you think about these players? (I mean football characteristics in general)
3. What do you know or think about czech football at all?

Thank you and hope you will be helpfull (H)

Last edited:
Milan Baros was a very good striker
Petr Cech is a world class Goalkeeper

JAN KOLLER! What a legend :) And Pospech he played in Denmark for a while, and was probably the best right back in league history.

Rosicky from Arsenal is also a great player but he gets injured from time to time.

Nation with a good footballing contingency for it's relatively small size.

Rosicky always comes to mind, another one is Vaclav Kadlec.

I remember the Euro 96 squad very well, Petr Kuba was a great keeper, Nedved, Berger, Paborsky all impressed.

Has everyone forgotten Smicer too???

Kadlec, the Leverkusen fullback is pretty good. Baros, Cech, Rosicky, Kadlec from Sparta...

1. Besides Nedved and Poborsky, it has to be Baros, Koller and Smicer. Koller always made a big (no pun intended) impression.
Living in Norway, the only ones I only saw regurarly, was the ones in english football. I only saw Koller in international games, but then he was awesome!

2. Except Koller, my impression of czech footballers is that they are quite fast, technical, and quite "south-american" (for european standard). Koller was the opposite: an eastern-european machine (terminator-like), that you couldn't stop from scoring goals ;)

3. Sadly, I have the impression that czech football is not that strong these days. I know you have lots of great players in Bundesliga etc., but as the world's media focuses on England and Spain (and Italy), the only ones who immediately comes to mind, is the likes of Cech and Rosicky. Both great players, but as the national team doesn't perform, they will not be accompagnied by someone similar to Nedved, Poborsky, etc.

(please forgive any wrong spelling of names, they are really hard... :P )

1. So who is first player or players on your mind, when you are asked about czech football? (besides Pavel and Karel
smile.gif
)
2. What do you think about these players? (I mean football characteristics in general)
3. What do you know or think about czech football at all?

1. Milan baros was a great striker in his day and I still love him from his time at portsmouth (especially his dive for our penalty againt Man Utd in the 2008 FA cup semi final ;) )

2. Good technical players who I always admired for their syle of play (rosicky)

3. Unfortunately the czech republic seem to be slipping off the radar in world football and that may well be down to the fact that with such a small population it will be hard for them ever to reproduce a generation of players as good as nedved, poborsky, koller etc...

Oh yeah you can't forget Vavlac Kadlec and Michael Kadlec Or Jaroslav Plasil Or Jan Koller.
And theres also Karel Poborsky.

Rosicky always comes to mind, another one is Vaclav Kadlec.

Thank you. I assume, you know Vaclav Kadlec from FM ;). Unfortunately, he's quite dissapointing right now. He's not even playing in starting line-up in Sparta and I am afraid that his talent will be unfulfilled. But who knows..

1. Milan baros was a great striker in his day and I still love him from his time at portsmouth (especially his dive for our penalty againt Man Utd in the 2008 FA cup semi final ;) )

Yeah, he's a good diver.. (H)

3. Unfortunately the czech republic seem to be slipping off the radar in world football and that may well be down to the fact that with such a small population it will be hard for them ever to reproduce a generation of players as good as nedved, poborsky, koller etc...

You're definitely right. Czech football is kind of declining nowadays and I'm afraid of the performance on EURO.. Nedved, Poborsky, Smicer, Koller and others - it was our gold generation and we will have to wait for another players of this class maybe for 20-30 years.

Very good technical midfield players such as Rosicky and Plasil who can pass well but since Koller called it quits apart from Barros there isnt really a big name striker correct me if im wrong ps. I know Kadlec is a promising young talent but hasnt stepped up yet!

Back