Opinions on wireless Xbox360 connection.

• Thread starter Thread starter Montanaro
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 2K

Montanaro

Reaction score
Hey ya'll I'm looking into the new black xbox 360 coming out, and it's got a built in wireless adapter.

How well does the current USB wireless adapter for the 360 work for online gaming (say MW2 or forza 3)? Does anyone have any experience with it. Reason I'm asking is because my 360 is in the living room and I don't want to run a 100 foot cable down stairs.

So, your asking how good the connection is?

Mines ****....but it generally just depends on how good your actual internet is.

I have a wireless adapter, it seems to work well for me because my house is long meaning i have to have my own wireless box in my room, this means that i get a very good connection, personally i would just try it

As my xbox is in a different room from my router, I use a wireless adaptor. From what I have experienced it is definately worth it. Very rarely would I get lag spikes or disconnections and most of these are due to my own connection.

i have heard its not worth the money. but luckily for me my modem is only about 15feet away from my xbox so i just have the cable.

Yeah I just have a cable. More simple for me (A)
How much extra does the new xbox cost?

No problems for me, beats using a long cable, buying sep is a huge rip off though £50 i think mine was brand new get a proper one for a proper computer for 1/5 ;D

Always best to used a wired connection, but if you try wireless and find it's not strong enough, get some homeplugs.

I've heard from some friends that a cable connection is superior to the wireless, in the USA the wireless adapter costs around $100. Far too pricey.

However, the new slimmer xbox is suppose to have one built in (possibly of better quality). Gamestop is doing a deal where you can trade in your xbox360 plus controller for $100 dollars off the new xbox, plus $25 for every other controller. I think that would drop the price of the new one to around $200. Oh yeah, I didn't mention it's got the 250 gb hd.

See my dilemma? Spend 100 bucks for a questionable adapter, or spend 200 for a new xbox a bigger hard drive and the wireless.

I hate not having money to **** away.

The new Xbox coming out has the fastest wireless you can get, which is equivalent to the 'HD twin antenna' one which came out earlier this year, it offers the best wireless connection possible but obviously it still depends on your modem etc. Cable is usually better because it's directly connected but as long as your wireless isn't on the other side of your house it should work just as well.

As for people saying it's going to be a rip off, Xbox have already said it's going to cost what a normal xbox costs already so around £160, however they won't confirm it as they are waiting for Sony to release their new prices so they can undercut them if they need to, although I'm sure Sony won't go as low as xbox.

I can't wait to get the new xbox, just imagine, finally a reliable, good looking xbox, it's what fanboy's dreams are made of XD Plus a 250gb HDD! That's a ******* monster of a hard drive :D

thanks for the info on the new antenna, didn't know that.

My problem will be splitting time between my new pc and xbox. I think Red Dead Redemption would swing the xbox to the top of the list.

thanks for the info on the new antenna, didn't know that.

My problem will be splitting time between my new pc and xbox. I think Red Dead Redemption would swing the xbox to the top of the list.

Unless you buy a new router you most likely (I doubt you already do have an 802.11n standard router) can't make use of the 802.11n standard at its full potential, it'll just be the same as the standard you'll be used to 802.11g, or even 802.11a/b if you have an olddd set up.

This is the gamestop offer http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/xb360250trade/default.aspx , so you can work out what you'd be paying for a new 250GB 360, but there will also be a $199 model launching once the old stock have sold out

Lol always thinking of new ideas to sell a old product aye, what release of the xbox 360 is this now?

Ive used the Wireless for about a year and a half now, due to the fact that i had a cable running all the way round my house. But i have to say that it is well worth the money.

Depending on the realise date of the Xbox 360 Slim, then i would definitely recommend that you buy it.

Dunno, id wait 6 months, i heard there releasing xbox extra slim with integrated hand controllers so it will be like a huge gameboy

i have wireless and its fine for me, but my internet is generally decently fast

Yeah I just have a cable. More simple for me (A)
How much extra does the new xbox cost?

I've seen it priced at £199 at Gamestation.co.uk i believe.
The biggest disappointment is that your current hard drive or memory card isn't compatible with the new console, i'm unsure whether or not the transfer data cable is compatible though.

Last edited:
I've seen it priced at £199 at Gamestation.co.uk i believe.
The biggest disappointment is that your current hard drive or memory card isn't compatible with the new console, i'm unsure whether or not the transfer data cable is compatible though.
so id pay 200 quid and possibly not have any of my data?

Jeez.. Just go Ps3.. All your problems will be solved :)

Back