Zenmatics

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for some advice for playing against a team who are playing with a deep defensive line. I seem to get stuck when trying to adapt my own tactics so my striker doesn't get isolated or keeps losing the ball. Ive tried putting my striker as a deeplaying striker on support to try and get him involved more, but i just cant penetrate the defence. My tactics are 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-2-3 wide.

Against deep lines, you need to create space and then use that space to penetrate. How are you doing that?

Without a lot more detail, that's as much detail as I can get into.

Hey thanks for replying.

Normally i pushup my defense so i limit their striker for an example. I tried to get my deep-lying striker to drop deep drag defenders with him then have inside forwards on attack and a amc as a attacking midfielder on attack.

With so many players bombing forward, I take it you're fairly direct or high tempo to get the ball forward quickly?

Hmmm actually I'm playing mixed with normal tempo or even short at times.

when i play against teams with deep defenive line i usually click the 'pass into space option' and play wider to open space for my players to expolit. its effective for me and usually gets me the wins agaisnt team that defend deep. hope this helps

Hmmm actually I'm playing mixed with normal tempo or even short at times.
Normal tempo means nothing without knowing the Mentality. Mentalities have their own default tempos.

The mentality is on control with flexible structure.
Other TIs can slow things down, but as I said, with 3 of your 4 players just bombing forward, you'll need to get the ball to them as they make that run, so quite quickly. Otherwise all that'll happen is that they sit on the shoulder of the deep line, which means that very little happens.

Hmm i see, which is making a lot more sense. Think i need to understand duties alot better tbh, but thanks for the advice.

Hmm i see, which is making a lot more sense. Think i need to understand duties alot better tbh, but thanks for the advice.
Don't underestimate the usefulness of Support duties. They support play, but are more selective (often making them later) with their runs. It's great to have players bombing forward with purpose, but if there's nothing to bomb into (no space), it's wasted. Wasted in terms of having a fewer passing option. An attack duty (or maybe 2) can help to 'pin back' the defence. A player close can the receive the ball in space, pull the defender marking the Attack duty player and through ball opportunity created.

There are many ways to skin a defensive cat.