joalbrito

Reaction score
Hi. I just started a savewith a team that according to the media should finish 4th in the league (it's a Bulgarian team) and now I am facing a slightly better side with slightly better players (not much though). It's kind of a derby match, and the opposition is most likely to play the Diamond 4-4-2 formation (sometimes reffed to as 4-3-1-2). They use the AMC as advanced playmaker. They have a really good big man/small man combo (probably the best attacking combo in the league) and two great wingers( again probably the best wingers in the league although one of them is 32 y.o and he is not as quick anymore but his pace is 11 which is not so bad). They have a good left fullback, a good DM and relatively good CBs. he only relatively weak position is the right back because he is old, and not so quick.. but he was really good 5 years ago(he played in premiership). Overall, I am facing a very strong side and although I know them really well (mostly from real life) I am not sure how exactly should I aproach the game. I suppose that they won't risk in the derby match and they would play counter or standard strategy. This season I also use the same diamond formation with good defensive mid and advanced playmaker. My wingers are not as good as theirs and I wonder if I should use two strong but slow strikers (the best 2 I have in my opinion) like I did most games this season, or I should use a big man/small man combo. I have really good fullbacks and good but slow central defenders. This strategy works really well for now 13 pts from the first 5th really hard games. However, I think that this is something like a rule.. if I use the exact same tactics like them I am just comparing the quality of my players with the quality of their players.. which won't do any good. I should definetely play with a deep deffensive line because their forwards are a lot quicker than my defenders. I also think that a flat 4-4-2 wouldn work because of the gap b.n the def and the midfield. I was thinking about a "rhombus" 4-5-1.. but I am not sure. Any suggestions about the formation, the strategy and any other parts of my tactics would be appreciated.

To oppose a Diamond,You will be better off with a 4-5-1 top flood and outnumber their midfield.In such a game,its important to make sure the opposing full-backs dont get forward so set your Wingers mentality to very attacking to force them to push back and defend.In such a game,your wingers should be discouraged from cuttting inside and should look to strect the opposing defence by hugging the touchline.You should keep 2 Defensive Mids back or 1 Defensive Mid incase of a counter-attack while one of your players should be uphead supporting the striker,basically a second striker but not officialy a striker,Another important thing is to ask your full-backs to overlap thus by doing this you will be overloading their flanks and you will be getting decent crosses in.Your defensive line should be deep because there strikers are fast thus preventing any through balls.I think you should go for a 'Control' or 'Counter Strategy whichever better suits your Team or maybe even 'Standard'