Os Cinco Violinos - The Return to Glory for Sporting Clube de Portugal

AndCura

Reaction score

images

Sporting Clube de Portugal

Os Cinco Violinos (The Five Violins)

The '40s and '50s were fabulous years for Sporting. They won 10 out of 18 National Football Championships during these decades, with 4 out of 13 Portuguese cups also on the club's roll of honour. From the 1946–47 season to the 1953–54 season, Sporting won seven of the eight championships contested, losing only in the 1949–50 season. This was the age of the famous Cinco Violinos ("Five Violins") that became famous on both the national and international levels, alongside with head coaches like Joseph Szabo, Robert Kelly, Randolph Galloway, Cândido de Oliveira, Armando Ferrira, Enrique Fernández and others. The name "Cinco Violinos" was given by the journalist and trainer Tavares da Silva to refer to the forward line of Jesus Correia, Manuel Vasques, Fernando Peyroteo, José Travassos, and Albano. These men were said to play as an orchestra together with the same collective spirit and efficiency on the field. During these years, Sporting scored 123 goals (almost five per game) in a championship played by 14 teams, 2 less than nowadays. This is certainly a record that will be hard to beat. For example, the striker Peyroteo finished all 12 seasons he played in the Sporting squad with more goals scored than games played.

As well as numerous National Championships and Portuguese Cups, Sporting team also claimed victories in the sporting initiative known as Taça O Século (The Century Cup). This competition came to an abrupt end after the Lions won the first two trophies as well as the Imperial Cup.

Sporting's success was recognized when, although not national champions in 1949–50, the club was invited to participate in the first edition of the Cup of the Clubs of the European Champions, now known as UEFA Champions League. It is unfortunate for Sporting fans that UEFA did not launch this competition earlier, otherwise Sporting could almost certainly have had at least one Cup of the Clubs of the European Champions amongst its honours. Sporting's first European game was against FK Partizan (3–3), in a match held at the Estádio Nacional with João Martins scoring their first goal in European competition.

Sporting's tetra-championship, the first in Portuguese football, began in the 1950–51 season with players: Mário Wilson, Juca, António Jesus Correia, Manuel Passos, Juvenal, Manuel Vasques, Galileu, Veríssimo, José Travassos, Martins, Tormenta, Carlos Gomes, Leandro, Manuel Caldeira, Armando Barros, Carlos Canário, César Nascimento, Anacleto, Manuel Marques, Pacheco Nobre, Mateus, and Pacheco. The head coach was Briton Randolph Galloway, with Fernando Vaz as his assistant.
In 1955, José Travassos became the first Portuguese footballer to be selected for the European XI. He played in Belfast against the team of Great Britain, in a performance highly praised by the international media, becoming known thereafter as "Zé da Europa" ("Zé of Europe").

Ground
Estdio_Alvalade_XXI_Stadions.jpg

Estádio José Alvalade
(Capacity: 50,076)
Location Lisbon - Portugal
Built 2003 Opened - 6 August 2003
Owner - Sporting Clube de Portugal
Surface - Grass
Construction cost - €105 million

A New Era Dawns

June 1st 2011
Today at a crowded press conference inside the Estádio José Alvalade, Sporting CP's Manager; Luis Duque, and Coach; Domingos Pacienca told surprised journalists that they would be stepping down from their roles with immediate effect. They explained that although they loved their job roles they felt that they were to blame for one of Sportings Worst Season in Recent History not winning one piece of Silverware, finishing 4th in the League and getting humiliated by arch Rivals Porto 5-2 and Benfica 4-1. They affectionately told the world of their fondness for the club and stated that they will always look back on their time at the club with happy and sad memories. As they left the press conference both men shook hands with the clubs chairman Godinho Lopes, took a bow each and then left the room.

Chairman Godinho Lopes then sat down in front of the many jornalists who were still digesting the immediate resignation of the clubs Coach and Manager. He took a sip from a cup of water and went on to say...

"Today we have witnessed two gentleman leave this club, but I don't want you all going home feeling that this football club has let you down but the truth is after last season this changes were needed. Firstly as I said before we have known about this situation for a while and myself and the clubs board have spoken at depth and had many long meetings and discussions about who can fill the gap. We have done so without being rushed into a decision as we have had plenty of time to prepare. We feel we have made the right choice and are happy to introduce you too Mr...

Andrew Cura

28501_10150206029925615_679780614_12812147_1446836_n.jpg

The journalists looked at each other, most of them slowly remembering who this man was. He was the former footballer Of Sporting's youth academy who suffered a horrific accident and was never able to play football again. He continued to stay at the academy learning for Former Coach Domingos Pacienca and becoming his future successor.

He took a seat next to Godinho Lopes and addressed the onlooking somewhat startled journalists.

" Ola Tudos presente, My name is Andrew Cura, I was Born in Canada to Portuguese Parents and have always been a Sportinguista. I promise you that although i have very little managerial experience i will guide o nos Clube to it former Glories and I will create the next Group of legends."

Credit to T.J-Star For the style of the Opening

The Season Will commence Tonight!

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

Transfer Updates!

IN:
Mbaye Niang
2 Million Euros & 10.75 Million Euros over 42 Months

Vaclav Kadlec
8.75 Million Euros over 48 Months

Federico Macheda
Loan - 6 months

Out
No One

Last edited:
Nice start will follow, Although you've paid too much for Mbaye Niang i got him for 6.5 million Euros :)

Pre-Season Results

View attachment 199225View attachment 199226View attachment 199227View attachment 199228

View attachment 199229View attachment 199230View attachment 199231View attachment 199232

Over the pre-season i became impressed with the players I had available to me and decided to do make any major changes to the squad. I was particularly impressed with Diego Rubio, Matias Fernandez, Rui Patricio, Joao Periera, Daniel Carrico, Elias and Andre Santos who will become a major part of the Sporting squad for years to come. I expect great things from these players and hope they will continue to grow at the club

Last edited:
August 2011

View attachment 199462View attachment 199463View attachment 199464View attachment 199465View attachment 199466

August presented the start of the season and the goal was win and motivate the team. This was hard to do as we were forced to play on form fierce rivals and title contenders FC Porto in the first weeks. But through our young wonder kid Diego Rubio who scored an amazing haul of 8 goals in his first official 5 games for the clubs helped keep the team motivated and was a driving force.