Over a Thousand Passes - High possession and pass football

musgrave

Reaction score
First off i would like to state that this tactical approach isn't made for goals or CCC's, so if you enjoy pinging the ball around dominating your opposition with passes and possession with little intent on 'Attacking' please read on, if otherwise this is not for you .

Intro
Welcome , I never quite realised until yesterday that there's a following on FMBase for high passing football , something I have been doing throughout the series. I noticed this in the '1500 passes' thread, which if legitimate could be a blast, so I thought I would see if the portion of the community that's interested would like to use my philosophy to develop their own. :)

The Philosophy
If we are to ping the ball around for 90 minutes we need to understand why exactly. The concept is easy, dominance of our space, and any additional space our opponents cede. We need to be willing to progress up the field keeping the ball safe and ensuring our opposition continues to give up room.
In an ideal senario we can poach a goal and using the concept of 'you can not score without the ball' to secure the victory.

What we have so far
Our base tactic looks strange to begin with but as we all know that changes when in possession and the roles and instructions dictate position. Our base tactic achieves over a thousand passes, however i have ommited any set piece instructions so that you can toy around with them to either retain control of the ball or try your luck at crosses and shots.

Tasks
  • Can we increase the passes?
  • Can you maintain over a thousand passes while creating more chances?
  • Keep a minimum of 75% possession while doing the above.
Its entirely up to you, enjoy and I hope it leads to more pass heavy strategies and shapes.

I use an on screen keyboard so give me a good 10-20 minutes to put the tactic in the sharing center and link it back here.

Update : Tactic can be found here

Last edited:
Brilliant glad you like :) have a play around with it and let me know if you hit gold!

I have noticed the fouls too, I think it has something to do with the fact alot of teams get very frustrated and players buckle from watching the ball for extended periods.

Last edited:
Glad to see this

I haven't try this tactic yet but its always nice to see a possession-oriented football tactic and will play it soon on my save to test it. I'm currently developing my own possession-based football using Negeri Sembilan in Malaysian league and so far is doing me good as I got promoted in my 2nd season as well as a treble. Now in 3rd season and my tactic seems to be quite vulnerable as the season's getting tougher. I'll be looking to learn from your tactic to be adapted in mine. Thanks.

I haven't try this tactic yet but its always nice to see a possession-oriented football tactic and will play it soon on my save to test it. I'm currently developing my own possession-based football using Negeri Sembilan in Malaysian league and so far is doing me good as I got promoted in my 2nd season as well as a treble. Now in 3rd season and my tactic seems to be quite vulnerable as the season's getting tougher. I'll be looking to learn from your tactic to be adapted in mine. Thanks.

Let me know how it goes, especially if you can get the goals while keeping the passes :)

Can you post screenshots of the tactic please? Roles/instructions/etc.

Wat team have you tested it with?
The team doesn't matter as much as the type of players, take over a team you can sell the most players from and then just buy to fit the role. I play as all sorts of teams from Blackburn to Swansea, Leeds etc. The thing that determines if you will succeed with the pass rate is simply the style of players you put in. At the moment I am trying to build V2 which will aim to bring the dominant pass style and goals closer together, so far I have noticed to do so means I lose a few hundred passes...which isn't what I want so I am testing different shapes to increase the passing so that when I make it more aggressive I retain the elements of the game that cancel the opposition out.

Metaphorically I am trying to get Mayweather to punch as hard as Fraizer without losing the movement and control.

Can you post screenshots of the tactic please? Roles/instructions/etc.
Sorry I am not at the computer at the moment, Are you on a mobile version of the game?

Last edited:
Let me know how it goes, especially if you can get the goals while keeping the passes :)
it went pretty well. I managed to keep the ping pong ball moving in my possession for 60% in almost every league match and scored the highest 6-0 in a league match. But since i've bought a very good new striker i changed my formation to Artisan's 4-4-2 Ferguson Base and its so darn working. To be compared using your tactic i went unbeaten in a single season (22 matches) with decent number of draws while Artisan's only lost one league match but with much higher winning ratio :)

awesome job bro... please post screenshots of the tactic and instructions.