• Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 2K
Status
Not open for further replies.

*JK*

19th Title Here we Come
Reaction score
LINK:HERE
MICHAEL OWEN may quit football if Manchester United release him at the end of this season.

Owen, 30, is in the final season of a two-year deal and there have been no talks with boss Alex Ferguson about a possible extension.

He said: "I would honestly love to stay but you will have to ask the manager about the long term.

"I could score at this level for many years and would love it to be at a top club like United.

"Whether I would want to be dropping down to a poorer Premier League team, I don't know.

"Yes I could score goals but I would probably get less opportunities and less enjoyment.

"I just don't feel my game is suited to a team that is really struggling. I won't drop down leagues."

Owen is clearly still scarred from his time at a crisis-hit Newcastle.

He added: "I have played in big teams before and played every game and I have played in a struggling team. I know which I prefer.

"When you play here, you play with quality."

Owen's switch to United in July 2009 revived him but he has been restricted to 14 starts, scoring 12 goals.

Injuries have hampered him too and a fresh hamstring tweak will keep him out for another month.

Owen said: "I was fit for most of last season but got the injury in the Carling Cup final.

"I'd like to play as much this season but this injury has been a kick in the teeth."

If he does quit at the end of this season, he would love to do it with a Champions League or Premier League winners' medal round his neck.

Owen said: "It would not only round off my career but put it to bed."

And Owen is already looking at life beyond his playing days, insisting: "I'm on my second stage of coaching badges and management is a real possibility.

"Horse racing will always be a big part of my life but, if there's a job going forward, it will be in football."

Meanwhile, Owen has defended his fellow pros following a spate of negative news stories.

Owen's team-mate Wayne Rooney has come in for particular criticism after querying United's ambition before signing a bumper five-year, £250,000-a-week deal.

But Owen said: "It's dangerous if you say, 'All footballers are this, all footballers are that'.

"I've met footballers who are fantastic people. They're always visiting sick kids but don't ask for Press coverage."

Another career ruined by injury...

It's astonishing that he still scores goals regularly for United when he does manage to get a game, despite never being able to attain his best form.

Interestingly, if he had stayed at Madrid all those years ago, they probably wouldn't have come sniffing for Ruud.

I hope he goes into coaching, I suppose it's a case of what could of been with Owen, he's got a great footballing mind, and would do a great managing job in my eyes, but like most of them, he'll either go into media or maybe go to the MLS. Lol.

Feel a bit sorry for him. Still though, unless he is willing to take a step down, i cant see his career lasting much longer, i cant see any of the top 6 or 7 wanting him anymore

He was a top striker . Some of his career was ruined by injury and he hasn't seemed the same.
Maybe he could go to the MLS ?

He was a top striker . Some of his career was ruined by injury and he hasn't seemed the same.
Maybe he could go to the MLS ?

Not some of it, all of it. Injuries prevented him from becoming one of the best strikers in the world.

If Roy Hodgson passes up the opputunity to bring a free Michael Owen back to Anfield, I will not be too pleased.

If Roy Hodgson passes up the opputunity to bring a free Michael Owen back to Anfield, I will not be too pleased.
Agree. He'll just gonna hang his boots there for 1 more season. Bad news :O.....Anfield don't have enough space to hang Owen's boots :'(

well, thank **** for that.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

If roy hodgson brings micheal owen back, I will be seriosuly ****** off :\

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Im not clicking the link, Its the sun

Justice for the 96.

Michael Owen can **** off, the little cretin. **** manc ************.

1, He said he was a liverpool fan, and he goes and joins one of our biggest rivals, Its like Hitler deciding cause hes getting beat, he is going to join Russian army...

2. He said he wanted to leave Liverpool to win medals.

3. Maybe he was a great player for us, But all he cares about is money. Chesterfield Town, the club he started at, Went into deep deep money probelms, in that same week, owen came out and said that he is building a new swimming pool for his ******* horses!!. He could of saved that club. Stupid ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back