• Thread starter Thread starter nyanza
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 3K

nyanza

Reaction score

Pack of hungry Wolves

View attachment 1102983
Hi. I finally found some time to spent on the new FM and decided to choose a Championship side for my career. The choice of team wasn't that hard. At first I just excluded the teams for which it's not really a challange to win the Championship (Newcastle, Villa, Norwich, etc.). Then excluded the ones on the other end too as I'd like a Playoff spot to be achievable during the first season. And I guess Wolverhampton were just the ones that attract me the most out of the rest. ^^)

Main players

Ivan Cavaleiro - Defenitely our star player and arguably Premier League quality already. Has some room to grow too. Luckily, he had just come into the club so there was no interest in him during the summer. It's probably going to be tough to keep him in the winter and next summer if we don't win promotion.

View attachment 105748

Nouha Dicko - He has just recovered after a horrible 12 month injury, that's why he still hasn't played a game (beginning of September). However, he's going to be my main forward and I hope he's going to find his form quickly.

View attachment 105747

Danny Batth - Our captain and the heart of our defense. He's defenitely going to play a big role in us achieving (or not) promotion.

View attachment 105746

Dominic Iorfa - He's young, has potential, can play both in center of the defense and on the right side and is pretty good already. There was interest from a few big clubs during the summer and he was unhappy for a while because I rejected their offers, however he's fine now and doing amazingly so far.

View attachment 105745

Transfers

- OUT -

Carl Ikeme
- He was on a key player contract but wasn't going to be my first choice so I decided to find him a new club. He and Lonergan are probably about the same ability wise however I don't want my main keeper ******* off to the African nations tournament in the middle of the season so I decided that the Englishman will be my first choice.

Niall Ennis - A few PL sides came with offers for him and were ready to throw good money so I decided to let him go. I've never seen him becoming an amazing player, my scouts weren't rating his potential that high either so I just decided that the money was more important at the moment.

- IN -

Jesus Rueda - I needed someone to rotate in that defensive mid spot with Saiss. Most likely won't be a long term squad member.

View attachment 105743

Magnus Wolff Eikrem - Real wolf. (6) No one in my midfield had that creative spark in them so I had to find something to insert a little bit of creativity there. Magnus was my man.

View attachment 105742

Jiloan Hamad - His agent told me he was transfer listed and I thought he would be a great option on the wings.

View attachment 105741

Zlatan Alomerovic - I needed a second choice goalkeeper after I sold Ikeme and just went for the cheapest option available.

View attachment 105740
Overview - I sold my backup goalie and a youngster so no weakening of the squad because of sales really. On other hand the midfield is quite a bit stronger with the new players coming in, I have a lot of options too which is nice because the championship fixture list can be really tough.

View attachment 105738
Results - August 2016 + Friendlies

View attachment 105737

My assistant was dealing with the friendly matches as always. No tough opposition there, we were just looking for match fitness and morale improvement.

We started our Championship campaign with a win in a tough away game against Leeds. Really good debut there for Hamad, assisting for all three goals.

Then we won in EFL cup first round which wasn't much of a surprise against a league two side.

A great win followed - we beat one of the likely title competitors Derby 3:2. We had 15 shoots on target, 6 clear cut chances and a missed penalty so the result could have been even better but a win is a win anyway.

Then Sheffield Wednesday put an end to our 3 win streak after beating us 2:0 on their ground. We actually had a few clear chances and, if more clinical, we could have went with the three points even but there are always days like that.

Then we came to out winning way after completely demolishing Brighton on their own ground - 5:1. Amazing away result against a team that is likely to be in the Playoff battle.

And we ended the month well with wins against Bradford for EFL cup and Rotherham in Championship.

Quite a good start - we're still in the cup competition and we're close to the top in Championship while beating some of our likely division rivals.

View attachment 105735
I'm going to do updates either every month or every 2-3 depending on if there is something interesting going on. I hope I will have long and successful career and even more than that I hope you will enjoy it together with me. :P

Good luck with this, always have a soft spot for Wolves

Thanks man. :)
September 2016

View attachment 105708

Our good form from August continued into the beginning September with us beating Wigan 3:1. I countinued my experiments with Helder Costa using him in the striker role as my actualy strikers just weren't cutting it and he did really well scoring a goal and assisting for 2 more. At the time the guy's record was something like 3 goals and 7 assists in 6 games, absolute monster. (6) Too bad Porto probably wouldn't want to sell him for any reasonable price. The downside of the game was Matt Doherty breaking his foot and going out of the pitch for 4-5 months.

Then we lost 2:1 againt Fulham in a pretty boring game with almost no chances in front of either goal.

We quickly recovered by managing to beat Newcastle 1:0 at St. James Park which is a serious achievement against arguably the toughest team in the league. They have won all the other 6 home games they have played. Unluckily, my first choice keeper Lonergan picked up an injury that was going to take him out of the pitch til the end of the month.

We faced Cardiff in a really emotional match. They took the lead after only 7 minutes. In the 18th Rueda was sent off after getting a second yellow card. And when I thought things couldn't get any worse, my keeper Zlatan Alomerovic picked up an injury. Keep in mind that is my backup gk that I bought in the summer, the first choice was already injured and I had some youngster with awfull stats at the bench. I decided to keep Alomerovic on the pitch and that would later turn out to be a good decision with him getting an 8.0 rating despite his injury. Two minutes before half time we managed to score one and in the second half added three more to that after playing almost the whole match with 10 players and an injured keeper.

View attachment 105707
However, after that game everything fell apart and in the next 3 we lost 2 and didn't manage to even score a goal. We got out of EFL cup (which may not be so bad) and lost the leading position in the league gifting it to Newcastle who didn't make any mistakes excluding that loss against us.

View attachment 105706
Disappointing end of the month but we are still right behind Newcastle and above our expectations anyway. I have the feeling catching Newcastle may not be possible if they keep that consistency, however it's good that some of the other favourites like Villa didn't have a great start and that leaves us an opportunity to fight for that second spot giving a direct promotion.

Player of the month

View attachment 105705

He's so important for our defense, it's unreal. One of the players that I feel could do well in a PL side.

October 2016

View attachment 105694
We continued our winless streak in October. In our first fixture for the month in the 9th minute we already had a lead of two goals thanks to Cavaleiro, he even sealed his hattrick later but that wasn't enough for us to get the three points as Huddersfield managed to return 3, 2 of which were penalties.

After that we finally managed to get full three points against poor Burton side. We needed a late 82th minute goal for that though.

Then we went away against Barnsley. We started really poor and until 52th minute they had a 4:1 lead. However the boys really got their **** together and went for an absolutely incredible comeback scoring 4 in the next 37 minutes and stealing the three points after a 5:4 win. |)

View attachment 105693

Later we managed to seal third win in a row after beating Bristol, Hamad scoring the only goal in the game.

Then we destroyed Birmingham with 5:0. Dicko was the star man here, bagging three goals after finally starting to find his form.

In the last match of the month Nottingham managed to stop our good run by beating us 1:0. The goal scorer was Henri Lansburi who was actually one of my transfer targets during the summer.

View attachment 105692

The race against Newcastle is getting interesting after they slipped a few times and we managed to steal their first position thanks to our goal difference which is a little bit better.

Player of the month

View attachment 105691

As expected, Cavaleiro is the one driving things in attack and our leading goal scorer. He's also one of the main reasons for us having the best attack in Championship so far.

November 2016

View attachment 105690

Bad month both in and outside the pitch. Borthwick-Jackson is out for 4-5 months with broken foot.

View attachment 105689

And not even one win in the three matches during November as you can see. Even in the first in December against Aston Villa which I played before taking the screenshots by mistake so just ignore it and play surprised when you see it in the next update. :D

Anyway, three of these 4 matches were in home too which makes things ever more disappointing. Now we're in 5 match winless streak.

View attachment 105688
We're still second because we've played one more than Derby and QPR but at least one of them is probably going to take three poinst and I expect us to fall down. Newcastle are starting to get away.

Player of the month

Nobody, they're all ****.

December 2016

View attachment 105650

In December we extended our winless run to 6 games after draws with Aston Villa and Brentford.

Then we finally managed to scrap a win against Ipswich after late goal by Conor Coady. The lad actually scored quite a few important goals already this season.

Then our went back to our old bad form with draw against Derby and loss at home against Leeds who were 22th at the time.

At least we managed to pick up three points and finally demonstrated some good football in the last day of 2016 after beating Sheffield Wednesday 3:0. I even had to field a little weakened 11 because only a day later we would face Wigan away.

View attachment 105647

For first time since I took over we're outside of the places giving direct promotion. Which isn't surprising at all considering our extremely frustrating inconsistency. Actually, even the Playoff places don't seem so secure anymore as the 7th Brentford are only four points behind us.

Player of the month

View attachment 105646

I think I should start givin a Least bad player of the month award instead from now on.

January 2017

View attachment 105624
We had only a day break before we faced Wigan but better rotation management by us (H) got us the win as some of their players finished the match completely exhausted.

Then we conceded disappointing home defeat against Barnsley for FA cup. We were defenitely the better team but it was one of these days. At least it wasn't a Championship match.

Then after a little break following the tough fixture list around new year we faced Brighton and go the three points.

Another defeat followed because of stupid mistake by Lonergan.

We finished the month in a good way by beating Fulham 2:0 while missing a penalty. By the way, we have been given 3 penalties so far and missed all of them.

Now we've got a comfortable 4 points lead ahead of Derby which allows us making a mistake, however we're 3 behind Norwich.

Player of the month

View attachment 105622
Winter transfer window

View attachment 105617
- OUT -

Boovarsson - He wasn't my fist choice striker and at the same time there was interest in him and his value was high so I decided to just get the money.

Silvio - I just don't like him. I was going to sell him in the summer if he wasn't new in the squad. We got a nice sum for him though.

Rueda - His sell wasn't planned but Sunderland made a bid out of nowhere and after a moment of thought I decided to accept it as he was just a walking red card. Wasn't that bad but too many cards and penalties allowed.

Mason and Price - Didn't feature much even as back ups so I decided to find them new teams.

- IN -

Adam Armstrong - I was looking for rotational forward and Newcastle were ready to sell him. However I decided to take him on loan and later buy him if he impresses. His buyout clause is for 3,5 milion euros.

David Timor
- I needed a new midfielder after selling two of mine and got that guy. Wasn't that expensive so no big risk involved.

View attachment 105618

February 2017

View attachment 105589
So we started with a defeat against Cardiff, we actually had more chances but they were more clinical and that's what matters in the end.

Then we had a huge match against Newcastle. Thankfully Cavaleiro had one of his (rare for him in recent times) good games and scored two goals which were just enough to secure us the win. With that we won double over Newcastle, however that wouldn't really mean anything if we don't manage to ahieve promotion at the end of the season.

View attachment 105588

Then we marched through Birmingham. Dicko scored and got injured a little before half time. Adam Armstrong came in and managed to finally score for us. A hattrick on top of that.
8-|

We picked 3 points against Wigan too. Armstrong scored again as he was now our main striker after Dicko's injury and Cavaleiro scored the other. We missed another penalty though which is getting ridiculous at that point. That's 4 missed now with not even one scored.

At the end of the month we had another big match - away against Norwich who were just behind us in the table. Sadly, they totally dominated the game and sent us home with sad faces after 3:0 defeat and us going down to 4th place in the table as Derby also took advantage of our loss.

View attachment 105587
View attachment 105586

We were 6 point behind Norwich after that Cardiff defeat, managed to get one point ahead of them after the three wins that followed but they sent us back to square one after that embarrassing loss against them.
11 games left, Newcastle are looking like they're getting away with the title but we're yet to see what's going to happen to that second spot giving direct PL ticket.

Player of the month

View attachment 105585

So we started with a home defeat against Huddersfield. Generally we're terrible in away games so I try to concentrate on home ones but it looks like even that's difficult at the moment. Totally deserved three points for them.

Next we got a point out of Burton who are struggling in the relegation places. We had some chances but in the last months scoring has become really hard task for my team.

We finally managed to pick 3 points against Barnsley in a match that was tougher than expected. Tom Bradshaw is always playing amazing against me for some reason and two goals of his were almost enough for them to steal a point.

Second match where we scored 3 goals followed - something that hadn't happened in a while. Bristol also had some chances for more goals but missed them.

View attachment 105579
I swear all this going up and down in the table is not good for my heart. Only 7 matches left - we still have a chance to push for that second place, even for the first too actually as Newcastle failed to pick up a win in the last 5 games and are only 5 points ahead of us. However, the boys really will have to get their **** together for that to happen because if we continue playing with the inconsistency shown in the last few months, we literally will have no chances at all to go up in the table.

The new youth intake came and 2 boys managed to pick my coaches' attention.

View attachment 105578
View attachment 105577

I also was offered a new 2 year contract which of course I accepted.

View attachment 105576
So we head into April which is going to be deciding for the promotion race as we'll play 6 of our 7 remaining matches.

Mid April 2017

I usually do monthly updates but things are escalating at the moment and I just really had to make a mid month one. :D

View attachment 105573
We started by grabbing fully deserved three points away against Preston after an early Dicko goal.

View attachment 105572

Then we took a 2 goal lead against Forest, they managed to return one but we didn't allow them more than that.

View attachment 105570
Now comes the good. We were away at Blackburn, they scored two early goals. But Our captain went to score and then we scored 4 more including another one from him. Amazing comeback and spirit shown by the team.

View attachment 105569
After those 3 wins stole that second place away and have a 2 point lead right now. We have 4 matches left and have the lead, everything is in our hands now.

View attachment 105568
The next update is going to be the end of the season one.

End of season - 2016/2017

The date was 29th of April, I got some interesting news.

View attachment 105193 View attachment 105192 View attachment 105191

(6) (6) (6) (6) (6)

It happened, boys.

We won the first two of our last four games and due to the others not being able to do the same we got the second direct promotion spot. We lost the next two games but it didn't really matter at that point.

View attachment 105190

View attachment 105189
And later Huddersfield got the third and last Premier League ticket thanks to the play offs.

Here's how everyone did during the season.

View attachment 105188
No one really shined that much, the reason for that probably being our extreme inconsistency during the whole season.

For me player of the season was our captain Danny Batth. Fans shared my opinion and gave him the award.

View attachment 105187
Summer 2017 - Transfer window

So we got in the the Premier League but the hardest was yet to come. The difference between the two leagues is immense and fighting relegation wasn't going to be easy job at all.

View attachment 105186

- OUT -

Four important first team members that were on loan went back to their respective clubs - Borthwick-Jackson, Stearman, Armstrong and Costa. Another important 3 players were sold so I can get some breathing room operating with my budget - Saiss, Eikrem and Oniangue. Tons of people that just weren't in my plans our weren't going to cut it in the Premier League were released, others sold for pitiful amounts.

- IN -

Charlie Taylor - I needed a reliable first choice left back after Bortwick-Jackson's loan ended and decided that Taylor was the man for the job. Interesting is that last year I could have gotten him for about 3,5 million but decided not to and Norwich got him. They made a nice profit on my back.

View attachment 105185
Mattia Perin - I was desperately looking for a class goalkeeper because it was more than obvious that Longergan wasn't going to cut in in Premier League. My first choice actually was Butland but he wasn't interested in transfer. Which is interesting because he was while we were still in Championship. :D
Sadly, his agent locked a 18,25 million release clause in his contract so I wouldn't be surprised if we lose him in the next summer or even in the winter.

View attachment 105184
Andre Gray - I was looking to bring a star striker but really couldn't so I just went for the cheapest alternative possible. I will rotate him and Dicko and the one in better form will start.

View attachment 105183
Steven Caulker - Whenever I'm fighting relegation for me the most important things is a good defense. And after the purchase of Perin in the goal, Taylor in the left and together with Batth and Iorfa already in my squad the last step of the puzzle was that partner for Batth. And I think Caulker is perfect for the job. My first choice was Michael Keane who had a 10,75 million release clause because of Burnley's relegation but rejected me. Later, he was okay with coming in my team but I didn't have the money anymore so he ended up in Watford.

View attachment 105182
Daniel Caligiuri - I had Cavaleiro for one wing and I needed a strong option to add danger on the other. Got what I needed in the free market.

View attachment 105181
Brendan Galloway - He can play in the center of the defence, on the left or as a defensive midfielder and I got him mainly because of that versatility which was going to be priceless in case of injury crisis.

View attachment 105180
Junior Stanislas - Just adding some depth in that attacking midfield area because I had 3 players for two positions. He is natural at both wings just like Cavaleiro and Caligiuri.

View attachment 105179
Charlie Adam - Couldn't pass the Scottish Xavi. Those corners alone are worth 10 millions, I tell ya. :D Jokes aside, in my opinion his experience and set piece abilities could really helps us in that relegation battle.

View attachment 105178

Yann M'Vila - M'Vila and Witsel were both free agents and I was thinking about choosing between them. In the end I submitted offers for both but Witsel wanted astronomical wages and choose Lazio anyway. I at least got Yann who started the season amazingly as you can see.

View attachment 105177
Muhamed Besic - I was wondering all summer about him and in the end decided to sign him.

View attachment 105176
Ravel Morrison - I know a lot of people tend to stay away from players like him that are really unprofessional and stuff but decided to give him a chance as I bought him with Manchester United in the last year's FM to fill a home grown slot and he did fine.

View attachment 105175
Kyle Naughton - In the last day of the transfer window I decided to bring some more depth for the full backs.

View attachment 105174
Adam Smith - Wasn't a planned purchase but two days before the winow closed Lonergan got injured for 6 months and that left me with no second goalkeeper, the only alternative being some youngsters with awfull stats. That's how he got here.

View attachment 105173
That many transfers were defenitely not planned but I decided to just try and make all the changes needed in this transfer window. Now that the squad is shaped to my liking in the next windows I will be able to just improve and build over it with a a lot less signings.

Here's the squad that will be fighting relegation during this season.

View attachment 105172
August 2017

View attachment 105171

We started really well in those first 4 Premier League games considering 3 of them were away from home.

Against Leicester M'Vila scored one but their Japanese duo Okazaki and Muto got them the three points. The match was really equal and on other day we could've gotten away even with the win.

Then we got our first points against Palace after M'Vila scored once again and Cavaleiro added one more from a penalty.

Then we did it at cold rainy night at Britannia :D and won after late goal by Hamad.

Then we were dominated by Everton for most of the game but Cavaleiro and M'Vila managed to score one goal each and save us some dignity.

So after that not so bad start we're 10th. It's still too early to decide whatever based on that though.

View attachment 105170
We also beat Plymouth for the League cup and we'll face Newcastle in the next round.

Player of the month

View attachment 105169

Our new signing Yann M'Vila managed to impress in his first matches with the Wolves' shirt and scored on three occasions.

Last edited:
September 2017

View attachment 105032

In the first match of September we accepted Manchester United and they got all three points without much difficulties as expected.

The defeat against Watford was really frustrating, they actually were the far better team on the pitch and could have scored more than that one goal.

We managed to continue our participation in League cup after beating Newcastle 1:0 with a pretty weakened team which was really nice.

Then we finally picked up points in PL after three losses after beating Huddersfield despite them taking the lead two times. Cavaleiro finally decided to show himself and scored twice, M'Vila added another one.

And we finished the month well by getting one point at Emirates. Arsenal were far better but we didn't allow them to score.

View attachment 105031
Sure, it could have been better but as far as we are not in the relegation zone I'm happy.

Player of the month

View attachment 105030
By the way, I really hope there are no obvious mistakes in my posts. English is not my first language so don't go hard on me. :D

Last edited:
October 2017

View attachment 104717

We started with good display against Southampton and had more chances but once again we didn't make a good use of our opportunities and after Batth own goal we only scored once taking one point.

Then we faced Middlesbrough at Molineux. Andre Gray managed to score one of his really rare goals in 88th minute. Of course, I expected a win at that point but two minutes later Samba Sow said nope. :'( That goal gave me such an **** discomfort, it's unreal.

Crystal Palace eliminated us from EFL Cup after a minimal one nil win. I used my second keeper and some players that get less chances to play in PL because it wouldn't be wise to focus on cups while our survival is at line. They were far better and got a deserved win.

Another draw followed, fourth in a row in Premier League. Against West Ham. Honestly, they probably deserved the three points but such is life, sometimes I have to get an undeserved point too. ^^)

View attachment 104714

November 2017

View attachment 104713
We faced the league leaders Man City. Stanislas gave us the lead but Chicharito scored in the second half to save a point for them. And when I say save I really mean it, we had more clear chances. And that makes it five draws in a row. What an unbeaten streak baby, still not late to attack the title.

Newcastle ender our loseless streak after beating us 2:1 when we were arguably the better team at the pitch. Ayoze Perez scored one of their goals, I was going after him during the summer by the way and would love to buy him at some point if I have the chance. Not if he continues to score against my team though.

Then we went to Anfield, they probably had more shots than us passes ffs. Won easily after Coutinho and Sakho goals.

View attachment 104712
December 2017

View attachment 104711

In the most busy month of the season we started with three points after beating Bournemouth at home after Cavaleiro and Taylor goals.

Then WBA defeated us after stunning us quickly by getting a three goal lead by the 15th minute. Andre Gray got one for us but obviously it was a hard task to get anything more than that.

Another hard defeat - 4:1 against Tottenham with M'Vila being the goalscorer for us this time.

Then we finally got three points for a second time in the last 12 games after defeating our survival rivals Hull 3:1. They opened the score but Besic, Morrison and Cavaleiro sealed the win for us.

Then we accepted Chelsea, we had chances, they had chances, they scored their, we - not really. Biglia gave them the lead. Stanislas got a goal for us. By the way, the guy scores rarely but when he does, it's against the top four. (H) Hazard broke our hearts after scoring in the 91th minute.

We got the three points after a good display against Hull. Dicko scored for us and that was more than enough as we didn't give them the chance to get even one shot on target.

Then we lost a point once again at the very end against Palace. Benteke scored a really weird goal to give them the lead. Cavaleiro got one back only three minutes later. And in the 89th...

View attachment 104710
Dangerously close to the relegation zone but at the same time closer point wise to the 13th place than to the 18th.

I'll post a big update(s) tonight or tomorrow. I've played more than a year after the last one, the only thing I'm going to say is that things are getting interesting. ^^)

Back