• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 3K

ZzxL14MxzZ

Reaction score

View attachment 258347

20th May 2011
Paolo Di Canio New Swindon Manager
Swindon Town have today appointed Paolo Di Canio as their new manager. Di Canio beat other big names such as former Liverpool, Manchester City and Newcastle United midfielder Dietmar Hamman, former Scotland boss George Burley, Colin Calderwood and Graham Rix.

"I am very pleased to be the new manager of Swindon. They asked me if I wanted to be the new manager and I, of course, said yes. I have wanted to be a manger for a while and I thought this would be a perfect chance." the Italian told Sky Sports News.
The Robins chairman Jeremy Wray commented "It is an honour to have Paolo as our manager. He was an outstanding footballer and I believe he can pass on his experience to the player. The fans want promotion this season, and I believe Paolo is the right man for the job.

As a player, Di Canio played in Serie A for Lazio, Juventus, Napoli and Milan, before playing in the Scottish Premier League for Celtic and the English Premier League for Sheffield Wednesday, West Ham United and Charlton Athletic. His playing career contained several controversial incidents including his push on referee Paul Alcock in 1998, for which he received an eleven match ban, and his self-proclaimed allegiance to Fascismo. He was also SPFA Players' Player of the Year in 1997, West Ham United player of the season and a winner of the BBC's Goal of the Season in 2000 and of a FIFA Fair Play Award in 2001. After his seasons in the Premier League he returned to Italy where he played for Lazio, Ternana and Cisco Roma before retiring in 2008. He played for the Italy U-21 team but not for Italy despite his goal scoring record.
Di Canio also beat local Town fan Ollie Howitt to the Swindon Post. Howitt, from Cirencester, was 200/1 to become the new Swindon manager.

Swindon have been through 3 managers in the last 4 months after Danny Wilson resigned following the Robins' disappointing form in League 1. Paul Hart was then given the job of keeping Swindon in the league, which went disastrously wrong. The Lancashire former defender only lasted 56 days at the helm, only winning one game, 1-0 away to Brentford. Youth coach Paul Bodin was then appointed as Caretaker Manager for the last 2 games of the season. Remarkably, Swindon won their final game 2-0 away to Tranmere.

View attachment 258354

----------

I'm not great at FM, so I might not do very well. I'll try and be realistic with my transfers etc.

Have fun!

Last edited:
I've been waiting for a Swindon story. Will be following.

Di Canio To Meet The Media

View attachment 258355

(Reading in an Italian accent might help make it sound like Di Canio)

Reporter: Paolo, you have been appointed the new Swindon Town manager, how do you feel?
Di Canio: I am very happy to be here. Swindon is a great club and I think we can do very well together

Reporter: What will it be like moving to Swindon, after being back in Italy for a while?
Di Canio: Of course, I haven't been able to see all of Swindon yet, but I will enjoy seeing it all. Moving to England again might be hard at first, but we have a while until the start of the season, so I will be fine by the time the league games start.

Reporter: After playing for some top clubs in your career, will you be looking at using those links to get some good deals?
Di Canio: I will have to see what the managers of those teams think. I would love to get players from my old teams like West Ham and Lazio.

Reporter: Do you have any players you would like to bring into the squad?
Di Canio: There are a few names I would like to bring in, but I will have to talk to those players first.

Reporter: Okay last question: How well do you think you can do in League 2 this season?
Di Canio: I want to win. I have always wanted to win. But this is a hard league, and it is very physical with some big players, so it will be tough. I also want to play nice football, that the fans will enjoy, so as long as we do one of those things, I will be happy.

Reporter: Thank you Paolo, that's all of our questions. We'll speak to you again soon

----------

I had to do this twice because my internet died when I posted the first one, so I rushed it a bit.
I might be doing a "Fans Questions" soon, so PM me your questions if you want them answered by 'Paolo'. :)

Last edited:

Transfer News
View attachment 258360
Swindon have signed 30 year old centre back Tyrone Loran on a free transfer. At 6' 2", he is good in the air, and his determination will be one of the main factors that caught the Town manager's eye.

View attachment 258366

Swindon Town have today announced a new affiliation with Premiership giants Liverpool.
Di Canio commented: "Liverpool is a great club with some brilliant players. We are hoping we can loan some of the players to give us a better team. They also have a very good academy, which we are hoping we can help by giving some of their younger players game time.

----------

I'm not controlling most of the friendlies because they're all against **** teams and I want to focus on building my squad.
Also so more transfers coming soon.​

Transfer News

Swindon have signed 6 new players in the past few days.

View attachment 258408
Town have sign 33 year old Rui Marques on a free transfer. The centre back has played for teams such as Leeds, Hull and Stuttgart.

View attachment 258409
The Robins have completed the move to bring Striker Lee Novak to the County Ground. The 22 year old was a fans favourite at his old club Huddersfield, and Paolo Di Canio is rumoured to have paid somewhere in the region on £75K for the Englishman.

View attachment 258411
Paolo Di Canio has also brought Jordan Cook on a loan deal from Sunderland. The 21 year old right winger has been asking for more game time at his parent club, so a move to Swindon was ideal for him.

View attachment 258412
Swindon have given Trinidad & Tobago striker Stern John a contract, after the player has been without a club for a while. The 34 year old has made 109 appearances for his nation, scoring 69 goals.

View attachment 258414
25 year old right back Yassin Moutaouakil on a free transfer. Moutaouakil was part of the French team that won the 2005 European U-19 Championship.

View attachment 258415
Di Canio has also lured 21 year old left back Shane O'Connor to the County Ground on loan from Ipswich.

View attachment 258417
A deal to bring Abe Kumara to the County Ground has fallen through after his work permit was rejected.

Transfer News

View attachment 258431
Swindon have loaned in Northern Irish goalkeeper Trevor Carson from Sunderland.

View attachment 258432
Paolo Di Canio has brought in right back Joe Riley on a free transfer from Bolton. The 19 year old has high potential, which would have been a key reason for the Swindon boss to get his signature.

View attachment 258435
The Robins have brought in Thomas Butler on Loan from Swansea. Despite being in the Swansea squad last season, the 30 year old midfielder didn't play a single game.

View attachment 258437
Swindon youngster Nathan Thompson has been loaned to Blue Square Bet Premier League side Kettering. The 20 year old defender wanted to get more match experience, and thought Kettering could provide that.

Speaking about his recent transfers, Swindon boss Paolo Di Canio said, "I am very pleased to bring these quality players to Swindon. I have signed some of them for the future and some I believe can play very well now. I was very excited when Lee (Novak) decided to sign for us. He is a brilliant player and he can make the difference in the close matches."

View attachment 258438

Saturday 6th August 2011
Swindon Town v Southend United

Pre-match Press Conference
Reporter: So Paolo, this is your first league game in charge of Swindon, How are you feeling?
Di Canio: I am very excited. I can't wait for the game to start. I am a little bit nervous too, because Southend are a good team, but I think we should win.

Reporter: Do you know which players will be crucial to the team this season?
Di Canio: I know of some players who will have to play well, but other players could change my mind. Also, all the players have to play well if we want to win.

Reporter: Okay, final question: Do you want to bring in any more players to strengthen your team?
Di Canio: I want some more players, but I might not have enough money to do that, which is very disappointing.

View attachment 258439

View attachment 258440

Post-Match Press Conference
Reporter: A brilliant 3-0 victory for your team today. How pleased are you?
Di Canio: I am very happy today. We won the game by 3 goals and we played beautiful football. We passed the ball well and could of scored lots more goals

Reporter: Lukas Magera scored 2 goals on his debut today, is he going to be a major player for Swindon this season?
Di Canio: He is going to be an important part of the team, but all of he players must play well if we want to win the league.

Reporter: Your next game is away in the League Cup to Bournemouth, How do you think you will do, after seeing the performance today?
Di Canio: If we play like we did today, I think we can win. But we will have to see what happens.

----------

I won't be doing all the games like this. I'll only set it out like this for specific games.

August 2011

League Cup 1st Round
View attachment 260073
A dull game until extra time, when Bournemouth grabbed the winner. A good defensive display from Swindon, but it wasn't enough, and Bournemouth go through to the second round. Di Canio wasn't happy about the number of cards Swindon picked up in this game.

View attachment 260075

View attachment 260108
An exciting game in which Swindon came out on top. A fine finish from Lee Novak on 57 minutes secured the win, and Town were comfortable after taking the lead.

View attachment 260110

View attachment 260111

View attachment 260112
Cheltenham took the lead after Smikle was left unmarked and finished well past Carson. But Swindon mostly dominated after that, and got a goal for themsleves when Jordan Cook fired home, via the right post. There was more controversy to come, when Steve Elliott was sent off for hacking down De Vita when the striker was through on goal. If Swindon could of hit the target more often, there's no doubt they could of won this game.

View attachment 260113

View attachment 260114

View attachment 260120

View attachment 260121
Di Canio said he was delighted to bring these 2 players to the club, saying they are great prospects for the future.

View attachment 260129
Swindon controlled the game well and took the lead early when Stern John fired in a cross from close range. The visitors were then given a penalty by referee Lee Probert after a push in the box. Di Canio's side got lucky late on when Collis directed a Ritchie cross into his own net, giving Town a desrerved 3-0 win. Shane O'Connor was the stand out player at left back, before being subbed off on 89mins, being replaced by debutant Paul Dummett. This win put Swindon top of the league, moving above Dagenham & Redbridge, after the Daggers lost 3-2 to Bristol Rovers.

It is rumoured that Di Canio is still in the market to bring new faces to the County Ground. It is also rumoured that Championship players are wanting to join Swindon, to get the benefit of Di Canio's experience and to work under the former Premiership star.

----------

This is all I'm going to do tonight. I've got 2 more games in August coming (hopefully) tomorrow.​

Back