Parry set to leave Liverpool post

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 1K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Rick Parry is to leave his post as Liverpool chief executive at the end of the season, BBC Sport understands.

More...

Heart in the right place, head wasn't. Hope this means that at least one of the yanks is on his way out soon. Even better would be both.

Hopefully it means Rafa will agree to stay for at least one more season as well.

Liverpool will NEVER win the premier league while Rafa Benitez is manager.

Give me some solid reasons why he won't?

How about he always under estimates lesser opposition and refuses to play his strongest team consistently.He has no idea how to handle the English press and a good majority of his signings are poor at best.
This is just my opinion though.Id personally prefer to see Liverpool win the league out of any of the big four so i hope im proved wrong.

me 2 i do beleive liverpool can win but they neeed more positive results they need 2 ditch the poor results

Hopefully it means Rafa will agree to stay for at least one more season as well.

If the rumours are true Rafa is getting the role Head of Football. That will mean he's responsible for all footballing matters, including signings. That should also mean at least a 3 year contract is being signed.

The only downside is the power at board room the two yanks now have, especially Hicks. Parry and Moores were the only ones stopping them throwing all the debt on the club. Now only Moores is there.

New owner soon. Please. :S

How about he always under estimates lesser opposition and refuses to play his strongest team consistently.

That's the way he plays, 'pundits' need to accept it. The Big 4 (and Aston Villa) all 'rotate' their squads. But nobody else gets as much stick as Rafa when they do it. Each team Rafa selects is a team he and his coaching staff believe can beat the opposition.

He has a spine of players that are nearly always in the side. It's the way most (all?) big teams will do it.

He has no idea how to handle the English press and a good majority of his signings are poor at best.

Good Signings
Xabi Alonso - £10.5m
Luis Garcia - £6m - Sold for £4m
Pepe Reina - £6m
Momo Sissoko - £5.6m - Sold for £9.75m
Peter Crouch - £7m - Sold for £11m
Robbie Fowler - Free
Daniel Agger - £5.8m
Dirk Kuyt - £9m
Aurelio - Free
Ryan Babel - £11.5m (even though he's having a shocking season)
Benayoun - £5m
Lucas - £6m
Arbeloa - £2.6m
Mascherano - ~£19m
Martin Skrtel - £6.5m

Ok Signings
Josemi - £2m
Scott Carson - £750,000 - sold for £2m?
Zenden - Free
Mark Gonzalez - £4.2m - Sold for £4m
Nabil El Zhar - Free
Craig Bellamy - £6m - Sold for £7.5m
Pennant - £6.7m - Loan at Pompey
Itandje - Free
Leto - £2m
Voronin - Free
Robbie Keane - ~£19m - Sold for ~£12m
David N'gog - £1.5m
Cavalieri - £3m
Albert Riera - £8m

Bad Signings
Antonio Nunez - P/Ex
Jan Kromkamp - P/Ex for Josemi
Pellegrino - Free
Morienties - £6.3m
Paletta - £2m - Sold for £1.5m
Dossena - £7m (hopefully he will prove us wrong)
Degen - Free

Have I missed anyone?

If you ask me that's a not bad at all. When a player Rafa signs doesn't work out he's not shy too admit he's wrong and sell them. He's also good at signing players for a task, and then selling them on for a better alternative (Sissoko for Mascherano etc).

I'd happily guess that Chelsea's and Man Utd's ratio of good/bad signings are similar but Liverpool don't waste as much money as those.

Well that's your opinion but in my opinion a lot of those signings have been poor,and you cant get away from the fact that Rafa loves to tinker and its being detrimental to his league form.

If Spurs stay up, the loss on Keane will be at most 2 million.

JP Woody - the lead 'tinkerer' in the league this season is the manager of the Mancs. Bizarre really how constant media repetition can lead to perceptions totally different to reality. There is actually no difference over the course of the season between most of the top teams - they all average around 3 changes per match for the league. Rafa rotates slightly more in the Champion's League compared to other English club managers. But then Liverpool are now the UEFA ranked #1 club in European cup competition, so I'm not sure that's a bad thing ;)

I don't think Liverpool's squad is strong enough to allow Rafa to tinker as much as he does,and he does tinker.The media haven't made that up.

Tinker/rotation is something all managers do. Benitez does it just as much as Ferguson, Wenger, A.N. Other Chelsea manager and Martin O'Neill, or just as infrequently, however you want to put it.

As for the squad not being strong enough, I think you're right in the sense that the Mancs have put together a top notch squad which we just can't afford to do (whether by wages or by purchasing power) but that doesn't mean he shouldn't rotate. Tired players get injured more easily. So to be second in the league as well as most consistent team in European competition for the past 5 seasons and to do it with a weaker squad which needs careful handling is surely some achievement?

liverpool can win the league with benitez just maybe not this season tho..it was a bad move to sell robbie keane consider torres is unfit and struggling to pick up form. So selling keane was pretty bad... all they have for backup is n'gog who isnt good enough to backup a players like torres tbh.

the turning point of this season was when benitez flamed SAF and tried to play the mind-games which didnt work at all lol..SAF is probs the best at doing them things

mind you if you think liverpool are having a bad season then think again..look at arsenal?

I didn't say Benitez wasn't a good manager,he is,his track record speaks for itself.Its just my opinion that i dont think Liverpool will win the league while he is manager but i hope im wrong.Ive always had a soft spot for Liverpool going back to the early 80s.
My point about tinkering/rotation was i think Benitez sometimes underestimates weaker Premier league opposition and rests too many key players at one time and its come back to haunt him often.I do realise that all premier league managers rest players though.

Yeah Gary. Arsenal are having a shocker. If Liverpool wasn't such a soap opera now, I think Wenger would be feeling a lot more pressure from the media. That said, Boro aren't looking too healthy atm JP? We've got you today too. Suddenly just clicked :)

Not sure about the 'rant' What was interesting was how the media went along with Rafa until Ferguson started to snarl, and then they all went back to 'Ferguson is a genius mode'.

Keane was not that good to be honest, not for us. The lad has talent. The lad would have been worth 10 or 12 million as a different option. What he can't do is lead the line as a sole striker. And the sitters he missed beggared belief. The whole circus around him was a distraction too. Rafa was right to get rid and limit the losses we take on him. Our whole transfer policy last summer was shaped by that daft decision by Parry to pay too much for Keane.

I agreed with every word Benitez said about Ferguson,i just dont think he should of said it,not then anyway,but he is right,Ferguson is a law to himself.

I didn't say Benitez wasn't a good manager,he is,his track record speaks for itself.Its just my opinion that i dont think Liverpool will win the league while he is manager but i hope im wrong.Ive always had a soft spot for Liverpool going back to the early 80s.
My point about tinkering/rotation was i think Benitez sometimes underestimates weaker Premier league opposition and rests too many key players at one time and its come back to haunt him often.I do realise that all premier league managers rest players though.

Oh I know mate. Just not sure why you feel that he rotates too much. A lot of our draws have been very, very unlucky. Lots of good chances just not taken (step forward Robbie Keane for some of them... but not scapegoating him as others have missed sitters too - Babbel at Portsmouth was a horrible one which would have put us 1-0 up). The Mancs on the other hand are getting 1-0 wins because they can put on the quality players as reserves.

If I thought we would never win the league with Benitez, I'd definitely say so. But I think we will. Our problem is that it will be a long-term project to overhaul the Mancs. Much as Fergie took a long time before he got anywhere near a declining Liverpool. Doubt we'll win the league this year. Wasn't expecting us to be second or to show the kind of form which took us clear in the first half of the season so that's a bonus really to me. And if we can give the Mancs a jolt or two along the way, it's all good fun ;)

Back