• Thread starter Thread starter AndySams10
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 3K

AndySams10

Reaction score
Pathway to Success.....
a Streaky25 story.

....."Congratulations lads. I'm pleased to tell you, that you have successfully passed the Youth Module Level 2." said Steve, an assessor of the new FA learning courses, recently introduced to help grassroot and elite coaches improve player development through age specific coaching sessions. "Andy, can I have a quick word, when everyone has gone." whispered Steve, as he went round congratulating the other candidates. Once the last person had left the room, Steve came over and sat in the empty chair next to me. "Andy, you were by far the stand out coach over this course. I know you are working with a semi professional club back in Hampshire, but I feel with the potential you have shown, you should look to try and get some experience at a professional club." Steve enthused.

After the course had finished, I went back home to enjoy the rest of the weekend and started to look forward to getting back to work and start putting the new ideas and sessions I've learnt into practise for the teams I work with at the semi-professional club that I'm sub contracted to through the company I work for.

I currently work as the Head of the Football Department in the Sports Coaching Company where I'm employed and spend six days a week coaching, doing P.E lessons at various schools in Hampshire from Monday to Friday following the school curriculum, but the majority of my week is spent coaching Football to various abilities and age groups of boys and girls and also putting on a variety of coaching workshops for managers and coaches of local grassroot teams that are looking for some extra help.

I've been coaching now for 10 years and after flirting with the idea of working in Real Estate in Florida, I knew my love and passion for Football was something I needed to be involved with on a full time basis. I was lucky enough to have a contract at Plymouth Argyle, when I was in my late teens and was unfortunately released due an ankle injury and the untimely appointment of a new manager who wanted to restructure the club from top to bottom. The timing worked out well as my family and I moved upto Hampshire soon after due to my dad's work, but I still managed to forge a decent career playing for Winchester City, Bashley and AFC Totton on semi professional contracts. With the money I got from playing, I put it towards gaining my FA Level 1 and 2 badges and now I have completed the FA youth module Level 1 and 2, which allows me to coach at the level I do and allows me apply for jobs coaching elite players at academy clubs on a regular basis.

images

*** BREAKING NEWS ***

FA vote in favour of youth changes.

images

The Football Association have today voted in favour of making small sided formats for certain age groups mandatory.
The proposal includes smaller sided games on smaller pitches and smaller goals and while some youngsters already play small sided games the new pathway now includes a mandatory 5v5 format for the Under 7s and 8s, 7v7 for the Under 9s and 10s and 9v9 for the Under 11s and 12s to be phased in by the start of the 2014/15 season.
The changes are designed to emulate the emphasis on technique and skill in countries such as Holland and Spain where children are only allowed to play on adult pitches from Under 14 level.
An FA statement said "The smaller pitch and number of players allows greater number of touches of the ball and involvement in the game, helping develop greater technical skills at a lower age."

With news of the new changes to be implemented into grassroots football from next season and the advice that the FA tutor gave me still fresh in my mind, I spent the weekend looking at ways in which I could potentially get a step ahead of some other coaches and gain some extra experience before the new structure comes into effect.

The next day I was called into my director's office as he wanted to discuss an opportunity that had been offered to him. "Morning Andy, hope everything's well. In light of the new changes that the FA have introduced, Steve McClaren has invited you out to Holland to observe how FC Twente run their youth set up right through to their first team."
Since the company I work for had been taken over in the last two years, we have gone from coaching in Hampshire and Dorset to adding another four counties to the list and more impressively bringing on board numerous wealthy shareholders and investors with ex-England manager Steve McClaren being one of them, which led to him come over to England to put on a couple of coaching sessions for the coaches within the company.

images

By Thursday of the same week everything was organised with Steve McClaren and FC Twente that I would fly out that evening and meet Mr McClaren and the FC Twente officials at the De Grolsch Veste Stadium the following afternoon, allowing meenoughtme to get from the Amsterdam Schiphol Airport and travel east to the city of Enschede where FC Twente train and play their home matches.
The plane touched down on Dutch soil just before 11pm and after I picked up my luggage, I made my way through customs and arrivals and headed straight towards the taxi rank to make the two hour journey east. I handed the taxi driver the address of the appartment I was staying at, which my director had kindly paid for and we set off on the start of what could be a very valuable few days of learning for myself.
After some small talk throughout the journey with driver, who was very keen on why I was visiting the Netherlands, we pulled up outside a rather smart looking building. "Here we are Mr" said the taxi driver, in a broken english accent. "60 euros" he continued, whilst grabbing my suitcase from the boot and dropping it to the floor at my feet with a thud. After paying, I made my way into the building and towards the reception desk to find out what room I would be staying in over the three days I was scheduled to visit.

I woke up early with a feeling of excitement inside and after a quick shower and change, I set off in the search of breakfast and also to have a look around the city centre.
The city of Enschede is situated in the the east of the Netherlands and has a population of around 158,000. The city is most famous for being the home of where Grolsch beer is brewed, but also has many museums including the impressive Rijksmuseum which is dedicated to the history of textiles, which was the city's biggest income for numerous years.

After doing a mini trip visiting the various buildings, it was nearly time to head to the stadium and meet the staff at FC Twente.
Back at my appartment I made the usual phone calls back home to my fiancee and parents, letting them know I was safe and after the good luck wishes sent back to me, it was time to change into my coaching kit and prepare for my meeting at the De Grolsch Veste Stadium.
Having worked out where the ground was from my earlier trip out, I decided to walk the twenty minutes from my appartment to the stdium.
I walked through the main entrance and made my way to the reception area where I was met by Steve McClaren, who after meeting me from the coaching sessions back in the UK, greeted me with a big smile and handshake.
We then made our way to Mr McClaren's office where we sat down and discussed what my timetable would be over the coming days. "Andy, It's really nice to see you here. I've planned for you to watch our Under 8 and 9 development squad tomorrow morning, followed by spending the afternoon with me and our youth team. On the Sunday, I've arranged for you to visit our feeder club Go Ahead Eagles, who are coached by Jimmy Calderwood, so it will be very valuable for you to spend some time there with someone who has the same vision as yourself and see how their club is run on a smaller scale than FC Twente." explained Steve. The reality that this could be a massive opportunity in my career was starting to register in my head and with the various opportunities I will have over the weekend, they could potentially be vital in any future jobs I may be interested in at elite level. "Thank you so much Steve for your time and especially inviting me out here, I can't wait to get going tomorrow." I replied. With my schedule sorted, Steve took me on a tour of the huge complex, where the 2010 Eredivisie champions play their home games and talked me through how the new changes that have just been made in England, have benefit every team at every age group in Holland.

Brilliant so far pal, can wait for more :D

*oh ive just checked- its actually there. worked on it last night but thought it had gone for some reason. great, another update on its way! :)

It was Saturday morning and I joined up with the development coaches at the main car park outside the stadium and boarded one of the small mini buses that takes the development and academy players to FC Twente's training ground in the nearby city of Hengelo.
The players in the development squads, as young as seven years old through to the Under 18 youth team all meet at the first team ground wearing matching club tracksuits and carrying their kit bags and travel the short journey to the training ground in a relaxed but well organised manner, before heading out in their seperate age groups to take part in the various sessions that the coaches have put on to help their development.

Once out on the training pitch I made my way over to where the Under 8 and 9 development squads were training. It was fantastic to see all the players getting on with a warm up either on their own or in groups of 2 or 3, while the coach went round putting the finishing touches to his set up, before calling in the group. I spent about two hours in total, going between the two age groups, studying intensely how the coach developed each session and the terminology they used when talking individually with a player or the whole squad. Just seeing how much time is spent on ball mastery and the focus on ball retention, made me realise just how far behind England as a nation are in terms of Football, but it gave me even more hunger and drive to make sure I make a difference, no matter how small, to the players I coach back home.

images

Next up for me was to go and meet up with Steve McClaren who was taking a session for the FC Twente youth team. So after a quick lunch break, I met up with Steve and we made our way over to the training area that had been marked out for the afternoon session. "So Andy, how are you finding it so far?" Steve asked, as he bent down to tie up his boots laces. "It's been great, a real eye opener and the thing that has surprised me most, is the mentality of the players. No matter how young or old, they are just focused on learning and want to improve." I replied.
"Yes, I found that exact philosophy when I came out here the first time. It's nice to know that you think on a similar level." responded Steve, before jogging off to start his training session.
I sat in the small seating area that was adjacent to the pitch Steve was coaching on and began making note after note on helpful tips and new ideas that I could use in my coaching. Just sitting their watching the ex-England manager, who also had spells with Manchester United and Middlesborough, coach right in front of my eyes, is an experience that I would never forget and one I plan to use to help forge a career at the highest level possible.

looks really good so far mate, i love how your stories kind of weave into being a manager, rather than going into head first, makes it more interesting and you get a sense of background. the images help as well, i couldnt get mine on other than a link to the attachment was how it came out. anyway, good start, give us a shout when youve done another update. do you mind having a look at mine- feedback for me would be helpful :)

looks really good so far mate, i love how your stories kind of weave into being a manager, rather than going into head first, makes it more interesting and you get a sense of background. the images help as well, i couldnt get mine on other than a link to the attachment was how it came out. anyway, good start, give us a shout when youve done another update. do you mind having a look at mine- feedback for me would be helpful :)

Cheers mate, thanks for leaving another nice comment. Yeah am just about to check yours out. Another update soon. :D

Good start mate. Nice to see more stories written in-depth as I personally enjoy them. Keep it up!

That evening and back in my appartment, I reflected on what was a very productive day at FC Twente's training ground and also made a start reading through all the notes I had made from the sessions I had observed, before getting ready for my visit to Deventer tomorrow, which is the home of FC Twente's feeder club Go Ahead Eagles. Even though today had been a fantastic experience, it was my trip tomorrow that I was looking forward to the most, as it would give me the chance to compare the Eerste Divisie side with the team I work with back in England. And as both sides are of a similar level, it will allow me to get a good insight into what successful structures the Dutch side use against the coaching ethos we currently have in place back home.

Go Ahead Eagles have just recently appointed Scottish manager Jimmy Calderwood on a short term deal. And it's the appointment of Jimmy Calderwood that Steve McClaren feels can benefit me hugely with what I'm trying to achieve, not only long term, but in the short term aswell.
I arrived at the De Adelaarshorst stadium, home of Go Ahead Eagles, and was greeted by former Dutch legend Marc Overmars, who was one of the General Mangers at the club. After a short introduction, Mr Overmars showed me around the 6,700 capacity stadium, along with the trophy room and various other areas of interest en route to Jimmy Calderwood's office. "C'mon in Andy lad." said Mr Calderwood in a deep Scottish accent. "Now...wee Stevie has told me a lot about yous and that we are a like in our ways of thinking". He continued, as he poured himself a mug of black coffee. "Yes, Mr McClaren said you are in your second spell out here in Holland and that by chatting to you I could get some fresh ideas to take back with me." I answered, before taking a sip of water from the glass in front of me. "Aye, that'll be nee bother Andy lad. We''ll finish our wee drinks and head out to watch our young 'uns train." replied Jimmy, getting up from his chair, downing the remainder of his coffee and grabbing a black folder.

Out on the training field, Jimmy Calderwood and myself started to wander around the different sessions that were taking places, stopping every now and then for Jimmy to make a few notes on various playes that had caught his eye. We eventually stopped around the perimeter of the Under 19s training session, which was being taken by an small grey haired man. "That wee man in the middle is Adrie Steenbergen, a legend here in this country." stated Jimmy. He was right, Adrie is the coach who produced Marc Overmars, Paul Bosveldt and Victor Sikora to name but a few, that have come through the ranks here at Go Ahead Eagles.
We stayed and watched the youth team train for the remainder of the morning before heading back inside for some lunch. The break gave me a great opportunity to chat to Jimmy in more detail about the differences in coaching in Engkand and Scotland compared to out here in Holland and also to go through the benefits of the new structure that was slowly starting to be put in place throughout the UK.

While we were finishing up our food, Jimmy received a phone call from Adrie Steenbergen, informing him that one of the academy coaches had called in sick and they were in need of a coach for a session with the Under 8s later on in the afternoon. After he hung up his mobile Jimmy turned to me and asked "Andy, yous fancy doing a session with the wee ones this afternoon?" I didn't hesistate and quickly replied "Yes, sure thing Jimmy."
Now, being under pressure and being given added responsibility is something that I thrive on and always find it brings the best out of me, so without hanging around I grabbed my boots and went to borrow some coaching equipment to set up for a session with the Under 8s in an hours time.

The session went much better than I expected, considering the short amount of time I had to plan for it and I received a lot of praise from the parents picking up their boys, but most notably from Steve McClaren who had driven down to say goodbye, before I headed back home later in the evening. "Fantastic session Andy, you got all the players involved and the way you interacted with them is brilliant, well done." said Steve, as he shook my hand and wished me a safe flight back. The well wishes continued as both Marc Overmars and Jimmy Calderwood joined in saying farewell and welcomed me back anytime.
As with all good coaches, I finished up packing away the equipment I used and grabbed my belongings, before making my way to the front of the stadium to get in the taxi that was waiting to take me to the airport, so I could fly back home with my head and note pad full of exciting new ideas that I can start to implement back at work on Monday morning.

Since I came back from Holland, I started to slowly introduce some of the new methods into my coaching sessions and it was great to see the players from the different age groups pick up the new philosophy almost straight away. The most pleasing improvement for me was at the Under 7 academy, who I coach on a Saturday morning, starting to see them become more confident on the ball and be able to create more options off the ball, to help their team mate in possession.
While I was finishing packing away from the Under 7 session that Saturday morning, I received a call on my mobile from the clubs secretary. "Hi Andy, it's Clare. I've just received a phone call from the Go Ahead Eagles Development Manager Adrie Steenbergen. He has invited you and the Under 9s out to play their development squad. It's a two day trip and you leave next Friday afternoon." revealed Clare.
This would be a fantastic opportunity for the boys to test themselves against foreign opposition and also to learn and see different playing styles outside of England.

The following week flew by, not only because I was very excited about returning to Holland, but because I spent every minute of each day chasing up parents for the relevant forms that needed to be filled out and also sorting out transport to and from the airport.
We landed in Amsterdam just before 9 'o' clock in the evening and after successfully keeping all eight players together, as we battled our way through the busy passport control area, we made our way outside to the waiting mini bus, that was kindly arranged by the Dutch club to take us to our accomodation for the weekend.
The next morning after breakfast myself and the boys made our way to the Go Ahead Eagles training ground, a little earlier than than scheduled, so we could have a good stretch and a little keep ball session in preparation for the game in a few hours time. Shortly after we finished our small warm up, Adrie Steenbergen arrived with another coach and the Go Ahead Eagles development team, as the young Dutch players got ready for the game, Adrie suggested that both teams warm up together so the players could get to know each other a bit before kick off and also to help allow my Under 9s settle any nerves they may have.

The game got underway and although we conceeded an early goal, we kept doing the right things with the ball and didn't try to rush or make silly mistakes. With five minutes left of the first half, our young forward equalised with a well taken right footed shot, after good link up play with our midfielder. Into the second half and the Go Ahead Eagles development squad started to take control of the game and took the lead from a well worked set piece. The same player then grabbed his second in the closing stages as the hosts ran out 3 - 1 winners.
Putting the result to one side, I was very proud of the boys and the way they performed against a very good technical side and those thoughts were also echoed by the Go Ahead Eagles coaching team, who were impressed by some of the football we played at times during the game. Overall this trip has been a very valuable learning curve for the team and club, but one that has shown we are starting to be on the right path and if we continue in the same direcetion, we can look to compete with the top nations on a more regular basis at the big competitions.
After the game Go Ahead Eagles put on a bbq for the players and coaching staff of both teams, which inbetween the food allowed the boys to mix in and play some small sided non-competitive games together and also for myself to continue to forge what seems to be the start of a good relationship between both the clubs, before we had to make our way back to the airport to check in for our flight home.

Over the last few months since I returned from my second trip to Holland, the club where I coach on a full time basis, have really taken to the new philosophy and methods I've introduced. And the majority of the age groups are now starting to play some very attractive football and are receiving a lot of attention from the local media.
My coaching style wasn't going without notice either and with the impressive performance of the Under 9s in the Netherlands and the vast progression of the players within the various teams at each level, my name was starting to get mentioned in some areas of non league and league football.

After another busy weekend of coaching and visiting wedding venues, I was hoping that Monday was going to be a less hectic day, especially as the majority of teams I coach were stopping training due to the end of the season and the fast approaching six weeks summer holidays.
I had just walked through my front door, after finishing a full day of coaching PE at one of the local schools, when my mobile rang. "Hi Andy, It's Phil. Listen Andy, I've received a phone call from Gillingham chairman Paul Scally, he has been watching your progress recently, and is keen to chat to you about their vacant managerial job. The interview is tomorrow at 10am. I hope it goes well." explained the chairman of the club I coach.

I sat patiently waiting to go into the boardroom, to be interviewed by the Gillingham board, when a voice interupted my thought process. "Hey Andy, yous here for the job too?" said a deep scottish accent. I turned round to see it was Jimmy Calderwood, the Go Ahead Eagles manager. "Hi Jimmy, yeah I'm next in, though I'm not expecting to get it. I thought you were happy out in Holland?" I replied, as I stood up to greet Jimmy. "Oh aye, I am. I'm over here on a wee holiday with my family and want to see what is being offered!" answered Jimmy.
Before we could continue our chat, the door opened and the Gillingham chairman, after shaking hands with another candidate, called me into the room. "Good morning Andy and thank you for coming along today. We have noticed the fantastic work you are doing at Romsey Town with the various age groups and we would like to offer you the chance to be part of our new structure, that we are looking to put in place here. The position we are offering you is Head of Youth Development, where you will be in charge of everything from the youth team down to our Under 7 academy squad, but more importantly working alongside the new manager we appoint. explained Paul Scally, as the rest of the board members listened on. "I'd be delighted to accept the position you are offering. Thank you." I replied back, with a big smile on my face. "Great Andy, we will get the paperwork sent out in the next few days for you to sign."

As I sat in traffic on the way home, I noticed I had a voicemail message on my mobile. "Andy, it's Phil from Romsey Town. Hope today went well. Can we meet later at the Luzborough Pub, there's an urgent matter we need to discuss?" I quickly wrote a text back to Phil, saying I would meet him at 5pm, before the traffic started to move again.
Phil was sat already waiting for me, as I walked through the entrance of the local pub. "Thanks for coming at short notice Andy. How was everything today?" asked Phil, as he stood and shook my hand. "Yes it was very promising, Gillingham have offered me the Head of Development role, which I've verbally agreed too." I replied, as I sat down in the comfy leather sofa. "Well done mate, you deserve it. But I'm glad you haven't officially signed anything yet, as I've had an interesting conversation with Edwin Mulder, chairman of Go Ahead Eagles. He is keen to meet up with you to chat about possibly becoming First Team Manager, as current Manager Jimmy Calderwood has breached his contract." explained Phil. Upon hearing the last part of what Phil had to say, I had a little to myself, as I knew exactly what Jimmy Calderwood had done. "OK, yes I'd like to talk with Go Ahead Eagles, and as I haven't signed a contract with Gillingham, I can see no harm in going out to Holland for talks." I answered, before taking a long gulp of the drink that was in front of me. "I will arrange the trip over to speak with Edwin Mulder and also contact Paul Scally at Gillingham and keep him in the loop." Phil said, as he started to make the calls there and then in the pub.

The following evening was when my meeting with Edwin Mulder of Go Ahead Eagles was scheduled for, so I readied myself for yet another few days travelling and more time away from my fiancee.
Mr Mulder had arranged for his own chauffer to meet me at the Amsterdam airport and drive me straight to the ground for talks about the potential vacancy, that could be available soon due to Mr Mulder finding out that Jimmy Calderwood had applied for the Gillingham job. As soon as I arrived at the De Adelaarshorst stadium, I was whisked through the back entrance and straight to the waiting Mr Mulder. "Thank you for coming at such short notice Mr Samuels." Edwin Mulder said welcoming me, before continuing. "I trust your chairman back in England has informed you of our current situation? I have been ever so impressed with the reports I've heard about you from our Youth Team coach Adrie Steenbergen and also from Mr Calderwood, when you came over to visit on both occasions. The situation is Mr Calderwood will be meeting with me in the morning and I will be releasing him from his contract, which means I need to find a new Manager. This club last won the Eredivisie way back in 1933 and we were last competing back in the top flight in 1996. So I'm looking for someone with the ambition that matches the clubs and gets us back to where I feel we belong. Which is why I'm offering you the chance to take charge of the team with immediate effect?"
Despite verbally agreeing to a role at Gillingham, which sounded very exciting, I'd always wanted to get involved in management and although the majority of people will feel I'm too young and inexperienced, I'm the sort of person who thrives under big pressure and if Mr Mulder was putting his faith in me to attempt to revive Go Ahead Eagles, then it made me even more determined to not only accept the job offer, but too succeed and prove the doubters wrong. "I would be delighted to accept the offer Mr Mulder, thank you. And I can't wait to get started." I said happily to Mr Mulder's offer. "That's brilliant news Andy. Firstly I want to wish you all the best at Go Ahead Eagles and we will be holding a press conference at the start of next week. And secondly, please leave it with me to speak with Gillingham Football Club and explain the situation. Now, you must get home and start planning for pre season. I will see you in seven days. Have a safe trip home." Mr Mulder told me, as he shook my hand and beckoned his driver to take me back to the airport.

Back home in England and though Mr Mulder was going to call Paul Scally, the Gillingham chairman. I felt it was also right for me to call him and explain my decision. So inbetween packing I made the call. "Hi Mr Scally, it's Andy Samuels. I just want to thank you and the other board members for the offer you made me a few days ago. As I'm sure you know by now, I have accepted a deal to become Manager of Go Ahead Eagles. I feel this is an opportunity I can't turn down and I hope there are no ill feelings towards each other." I explained. There was a little silence before a voice at the other end of the phone responded. "Of course we are bitterly disappointed Andy, but we fully understand your reasons. Good luck." answered Mr Scally.
With the phone call out the way and most of my packing done, it was onto the next job on my list of things to do, which was to say goodbye to the Managers and Coaches that I had been working with at Romsey Town and also my work colleagues, from the sports coaching company I've been part of for the last ten years and who have become very close friends of mine.

All that was left was the farewells to our families and with the most difficult goodbyes done, myself and my fiancee, made our way through the departures lounge, towards gate 10 and ready to board the plane and begin the new chapter in our lives.
We touched down in Amsterdam just after midday and after going through passport control and customs, we headed towards the car hire stand, where I was to pick up the courtesy car that had been organised by Edwin Mulder. Once our luggage was in the car, we set off towards the city of Deventer where we were staying in a rented town house, which again was being paid for by my new club, until we found the right property that we could move into and call our own.
The following day I left Louise, my fiancee, in charge of waiting for the removal vans to arrive from the UK and to make a start on unpacking, while I went to watch my new club in a pre season friendly against Austrian side FC Admira. Current Assistant Manager Paul Bosvelt took charge of the team, as I sat in the stand alongside chairman Edwin Mulder, to cast an eye over the current squad, before I get officially unveiled to the media tomorrow.
The game ended in a 1-1 draw, with Michael Jansen scoring our goal. Overall the squad looks fairly strong, with a good blend of experience and youth, meaning that I hopefully won't have to make big changes to the playing staff and the main focus would be getting the squad used to the starting formation and the style of play I want to bring to the club.
After the game I went into changing rooms and was introduced to the players and the coaching staff, which allowed me to explain what new methods and changes I was looking to make and to tell the players that they all would have the chance to impress me over the coming weeks in the friendlies that have been organised.

images

Name: Go Ahead Eagles
Stadium: De Adelaarshorst
Capacity: 6,700
League: Jupiler League
Honours: Eredivisie - 1917, 1922, 1930, 1933

It was the morning of the press conference where I will be officially unveiled to the Dutch media, and as I made my way through the numerous unpacked boxes trying to find a suitable tie to go with my suit, I received a text from my mum and dad back home, wishing me luck and reminding me that first impressions will be very important, as it was vital I got the media onside right from the start.

Edwin Mulder(Chairman): "Welcome everyone. It gives me great pleasure to announce Andy Samuels, as Go Ahead Eagles new manager."

Reporter: "Welcome Andy, You arrive with no previous experince as a manager and relatively unknown. Are you prepared for the task you are challenged with?"

Me: "Thank you. Yes, some will see it as a big risk that Mr Mulder has taken appointing me, but I want to assure all the fans that I will give my all into being successful at this football club."

Reporter: "What can the fans look forward to this season?"

Me: "I will be introducing a new playing philosophy and new tactics, which will hopefully lead to exciting football, but more importantly positive results on and off the pitch.

Reporter: "Are you looking to make major changes to the playing and non-playing staff?"

Me: "No, not at present. Everyone will get the chance to show me what they are capable of on and off the pitch."

Reporter: "Go Ahead Eagles were last in the top flight over 15 years ago, is promotion what you are aiming for?"

Me: "If I can get my new methods across during pre-season, then hopefully we will be there or there abouts come the end of the campaign."

Reporter: "Thank you for your time, I wish you every success in your new role."

Edwin Mulder: "That ends our press conference. Andy will now be available for photographs down by the pitch area. Thank you."

With the press conference over, I made my way out into the grey rainy sky, and headed towards where the awaiting paparazzi were wanting photos of me holding the clubs scarf in front of the home dugout.
After the various different photo shots, it was now time to focus and prepare for my first friendly in charge against FC Groningen in just over two weeks time, so between now and then I would have enough time to put the players through their paces and introduce my new methods.

goal_com%2Bgif.gif

Go Ahead Eagles Appoint Unknown

images

Dutch Jupiler League side Go Ahead Eagles have appointed unknown Englishman Andy Samuels as their new manager. Samuels joins the club on a two year deal and replaces Jimmy Calderwood who was relieved of his duties due to a breach of contract.
Samuels has recently been working in the South of England at a local semi professional team and has been highly recommended to the Go Ahead Eagles board by ex England manager and current FC Twente boss Steve McClaren.
All eyes will be on Samuels, when he takes his new team to Voldendam on 5th August, to see if he can bring success to the Deventer based club.

Having spent over two weeks in my new job and spending most of that time out on the training pitch with the players getting across my new playing philosophy and methods, it gave me the perfect opportunity to take a close up look of the players who I had inherited and also to see how the coaches worked with the new concepts I've introduced.
After chatting through my views of the current players with my Assistant Manager Paul Bosvelt and what areas needed strengthening, it was time to chat to the players who weren't going to have a future at the club and then approach the players that I wanted to bring in to stregthen the team and get them used to the system we will be

TRANSFERS

STAFF OUT.

Joop Gall - Released
Marco Waslander - Released
Michel Boerebach - Released
Mark Liefers - Released
Henk Nijenhuis - Released

STAFF IN.

Hans Jorritsma - First Team Coach
Graad Xhofleer - Coach
Marinho Gebhardt - Goalkeeping Coach

PLAYERS OUT.

Omer Kavak - Spezia - Free
Jasper Heusinkveld - Spexia - Free
Frank Van Der Zwan - 30k - SC Cambuur

PLAYERS IN.

Lucas Woundenberg - Feyenoord - Season Loan
Tobias Kainz - sc Heerenveen - Season Loan

Hi Guys,

I have decided to stop this story, as I'm not happy with it and compared to other ones I've written it's no where near as good. So I'm going to look into getting another started soon, once I've spent a while thinking about where to begin and how the story will start.

Thanks to those who have followed. :D

NO PLEASE CONTINUE!!! THIS IS EPIC!!! DONT STOP NOW!!! ONE OF THE BEST ON THE SITE, AT LEAST IN THE TOP 4!!!!

NO PLEASE CONTINUE!!! THIS IS EPIC!!! DONT STOP NOW!!! ONE OF THE BEST ON THE SITE, AT LEAST IN THE TOP 4!!!!

Hi mate, thanks for the feedback. Due to work and family commitments, I haven't had time with the game to get into it like I have with my other stories, plus I personally can't get into ky save either. I'm planning on another save and even better story to rival my other ones that have had more followers and will last much longer!!

I hope u will follow my new story?

Thanks.XD

Back