Paul McBride blasts SFA's Rangers verdict

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shay Given

Banned
Reaction score
BBC Sport - Lawyer Paul McBride blasts SFA's Rangers verdict

The lawyer who represented Neil Lennon says the Scottish Football Association is "dishonest" and "biased".
Rangers assistant Ally McCoist won his appeal against a touchline suspension, while Madjid Bougherra and El-Hadji Diouf avoided bans for misconduct.
And Paul McBride QC, who represented the Celtic boss in front of the SFA, responded by describing it as "the laughing stock of world football".
A spokesman for the SFA declined to comment in response.
Celtic manager Lennon will on Tuesday return to the dugout following a touchline suspension that followed his side's stormy 1-0 victory over Rangers in the Scottish Cup on 2 March.
Lennon reacted angrily after an exchange of words with McCoist on the touchline at the conclusion of the game.
But the SFA's disciplinary committee upheld Rangers' appeal against his own automatic two-match suspension, saying McCoist had no case to answer.
Defender Bougherra was sent off during the match and also held the referee's arm in an attempt to prevent him issuing red and yellow cards, while forward Diouf was shown a red card for dissent after the final whistle.
However, while both Rangers players have now been fined and severely censured for their behaviour, McBride believes the SFA has been too lenient on Celtic's title rivals.
"The SFA are tonight officially the laughing stock of world football and they have been shown to be not merely dysfunctional and not merely dishonest but biased," he told BBC Scotland.
"Because McCoist, who undoubtedly said something that provoked a reaction from Neil Lennon that caused a four-match ban for him, has received no punishment at all.
"We know that Bougherra, who man-handled the referee not once but twice, doesn't get a ban.
"We know that El-Hadji Diouf who is involved in an alteraction in the tunnel with a Celtic physiotherapist refuses to leave the park and, given a red card and throws his top into the crowd against police advice isn't given a ban either.
"What is any sensible person to think of that set of affairs?
"Frankly, anybody with the tiniest brain could only regard them as being biased and prejudiced.
"They are not rational, they are not fair and they are not consistent in the way they have approached the matter with Neil Lennon and Celtic in general.
"And tonight I think people will be scratching their heads in amazement and disbelief at the way the SFA conduct their affairs and continue to conduct their affairs."
Rangers have expressed themselves pleased with the decision about McCoist but were surprised that their players had been fined.
"Rangers have apparently said this is a victory for common sense," added McBride.
"So, if a Celtic player tonight manhandles the referee, throws his top into the crowd, abuses other players, causes reaction among management and no action is taken, Rangers will presumably will tell us tomorrow that's a victory for common sense.
"I don't believe anybody thinks that to be correct."
Celtic had successfully challenged SFA rules to reduce Lennon's touchline ban, but McBride said that he and the club's chief executive had hoped that the line had been drawn under their dispute with the governing body.
"We all hoped that," added McBride. "Peter Lawwell declared last week there is no war against the SFA.
"There shouldn't be. We all wanted to sit down together and get on and make things better and have a better dialogue and then we have ludicrous decisions like today that will only inflame the fury of many Celtic fans out there feel."
Lennon did not wish to go into detail but said: "I find it interesting that, after all the fall-out from that game, I am the only one who has been banned."

Thats because Mccoist, Diouf and Bougherra appealed their decision, and won, and you decided not to Lennon at the advice of a QC you utter mongoloid.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Don't particularly care for the Scottish league but Bougherra grabbing the ref was akin to di Canio pushing the ref. I could imagine the hype if Rooney or Joey Barton done such a thing!

I think it's best for all parties to move on here. The decision has been made, and whether or not the fans or clubs like it, it has to be accepted. Should just draw a line under it and move on.

I think it's best for all parties to move on here. The decision has been made, and whether or not the fans or clubs like it, it has to be accepted. Should just draw a line under it and move on.

ever the sensible one :)

But it obviously isnt a fair decision, there is no consistency at all in the decisions.

But it obviously isnt a fair decision, there is no consistency at all in the decisions.

Whether or not its fair, it's not going to change anything I'm afraid. Consistency is equally in just as short abundance on the English side, and there's nothing that can be done about it unfortunately.

Embarrassing, against the rules and shameful - Herald Scotland | Sport | SPL | Celtic

great article about it.
I know it wont be changed but MvBride is trying to highlight how clueless the SFA are.

Yes, the last time you appealed, it was extended, because the last appeal was frankly laughable. This time, in a different appeal, which you may have had a case for the ban to be lessened, you chose not to appeal. It doesn't matter anyways, because Lennon went to the bother of taking the **** out of the rules, so the bans are running concurrently.

Yes, the last time you appealed, it was extended, because the last appeal was frankly laughable. This time, in a different appeal, which you may have had a case for the ban to be lessened, you chose not to appeal. It doesn't matter anyways, because Lennon went to the bother of taking the **** out of the rules, so the bans are running concurrently.
Bottem line is starting (taking part (if you want to be deluded)) in a touchline row deserves a ban, we realised this so didnt appeal. Manhandling a a ref deserves a 3 game ban as has been given out in other cases and been said to be to lenient. Refusing to listen to the police and refusing to leave the pitch after a red card deserves a extra ban.
The bans are gone, he hardley took the **** out of the rules oO) his lawyer read the rules and told the SFA to enforce them as they have wrote them.

Bottem line is starting (taking part (if you want to be deluded)) in a touchline row deserves a ban, we realised this so didnt appeal. Manhandling a a ref deserves a 3 game ban as has been given out in other cases and been said to be to lenient. Refusing to listen to the police and refusing to leave the pitch after a red card deserves a extra ban.
The bans are gone, he hardley took the **** out of the rules oO) his lawyer read the rules and told the SFA to enforce them as they have wrote them.

As the SFA have "wrote the rules", it doesn't say a player has to leave the area of play after being sent off AFTER the whistle. Agree with the principle of it or not, thats the way that they have "wrote the rules". Bougherra manhandling the ref, well tbh, I didn't see much wrong with what he done, Murray himself has even said he didn't feel threatened, and it certainly wasn't violent conduct, but I'm more than willing to admit I'm slightly biased, so it could well be from a neutrals point of view; that Bougherra should have been reprimanded, but then again you're far from neutral.

As for Mccoist, he whispers in Lennons ear, then Lennon takes a rager at him ? Theres not a shred of evidence to suggest what Mccoist said, and we'll probably never know what was said. You're the ones that started this legal pish, you reap what you sow.

As the SFA have "wrote the rules", it doesn't say a player has to leave the area of play after being sent off AFTER the whistle. Agree with the principle of it or not, thats the way that they have "wrote the rules".
fine be twisted about it, but he should have listened to what the police where telling him. Im sure he is allowed to hit our physio as well?
Bougherra manhandling the ref, well tbh, I didn't see much wrong with what he done, Murray himself has even said he didn't feel threatened, and it certainly wasn't violent conduct, but I'm more than willing to admit I'm slightly biased, so it could well be from a neutrals point of view; that Bougherra should have been reprimanded, but then again you're far from neutral.
He wouldnt allow Murray to get his cards out a book him, whether Murray felt threatened or not, Bougherra manhandled him and should receive further bans.

As for Mccoist, he whispers in Lennons ear, then Lennon takes a rager at him ? Theres not a shred of evidence to suggest what Mccoist said, and we'll probably never know what was said.
[Sarcasm]Im sure Sally was just saying good win. Lennon obviously changed from happy to outraged for no reason. [/sarcasm]
You're the ones that started this legal pish, you reap what you sow.
"Legal pish" Typical Rangers fan. Says it all really. Yea you can just change the rules when it suits you, sigh.
Fact is Lennon followed the rules by serving two four match touchline bans concurrently rather than consecutively. Its not his fault the SFA dont even know there own rules. Rules are there for a reason. To be followed.

closing this as its getting personal, whats done is done

Status
Not open for further replies.