Paul Robinson retires from international football

• Thread starter Thread starter timmsy123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 1K
did not see this coming shame could of worked his way back to be our number 1 again

I think in a way it makes sense for him to do this.

He knows he probably wouldn't have played on Wednesday and with Joe Hart likely to be England #1 from now on he'd only be in the squad to make up the numbers. Might aswell retire, give others a chance and prolong his club career even further.

Also, the FA have announced that there are no plans to replace him in the squad either.

The future of english goalkeeping is Joe Hart and Ben Foster

I can see exactly why he has retired, he has not played for England for three years, not been selected under Capello.

He clearly didn't see the call up coming and was like 'whoah, no way!' and he is right, why should he trapse about Europe to be 2nd or 3rd choice?

It's really harsh, I think he is an excellent keeper and a world class shot stopper.

Apparently he told the FA of his decision last night before the squad announcement, but he didn't tell Capello so the Italian was unaware of his decision when he selected him.

Don't blame him, if he is going to be 3rd choice keeper at his age, he may aswell just concentrate on being number one for his club, and let a younger player get some experience being around the England team.

It's a great shame for Robinson, however I can understand his reasons. Good keeper... top bloke!

Will always be remembered for one thing..

I don't even want to see the video. :@

Despite the mistakes he may have made in the past, he's still a solid keeper and it's a shame he's now retired but it does make sense - we wouldn't have used him in all honesty.

The future of english goalkeeping is Joe Hart and Ben Foster

Ben Foster is clumsy. There's more than just them 2 that will make it in Englands squad. Smithies, Loach both seem like developers!

Joe Hart, Alex Smithies & Scott Loach for England :)

Hardly surprising.

I felt he should have gone to the WC ahead of Green, going by last season's form.

Good on him. Hopefully he'll remain number 1 for his club for a long time to come.

I wonder if he was actually considering this before he was selected, because it would have been strange for him to come out and say he has withdrawn himself from selections when he wasn't even being considered in the first place....(or so he thought)

I can now see Rob Green going the same way, eventually. It is a shame that he will probably never be picked for England again, because of that one mistake - that is what he will be remembered for, just like David Seaman in 2002, Foster (or Carson, I can't rememeber) against Croatia, and Robinson. It is a real shame that over this one mistake, Capello has put his blinkers on and excluded him.

On a brighter note, I'm pleased Joe Hart has finally got the chance he deserves - 3 months too late IMO. I always thought he was a better keeper than Green anyway. During the WC, that is....

Always been a fan of Robinson, he's better than Green imo.

You'd wonder why he'd retire now when there is still a chance to stake a claim in the #1 Jersey, it is by no means Joe Hart's yet. Not been a big fan of Robbo myself but I am sceptical about Ben Foster who made a few errors last season, I imagine Hart will be our safest bet.

fair play to him, it is always going to be between hart and foster at the moment.

Back