Peterborough United - Upon This Rock

TaylorBAFC

Reaction score
Peterborough_United_FC-logo-A23AA4A771-seeklogo.com.png

Welcome

Thanks for clicking on what will be my first story here on the site. Fingers crossed that it is a story which will be highly enjoyable and successful! I have to admit, I haven't contributed much on the site since joining some time ago now, however I do like to scroll through the list of stories. As such, I have been tempted into creating my own. I digress.

I have decided to start my first story save with Peterborough United, who ply their trade in Sky Bet League One. I am an avid fan of EFL and Non-League football and often tend to focus my saves around those leagues, as I get a lot of enjoyment out of them. Truthfully, I have been waiting for the winter update to be released for some time so I could begin this save, as Posh are a team I like as a neutral. A well balanced squad, with a number of young talents - often coming from the lower leagues - they are the perfect save for me. Additionally, the expectations (top-half) are more than manageable and should allow me to achieve my goals, at least within the first twelve months hopefully. Otherwise, this will be a real flop.

Spending their sixth season in the third tier after relegation from the Championship, Posh have just three trophies to their name, in which include the League Two title twice and the Johnstone's Paint Trophy in 2014 - their most recent success. My aim will be to eventually add to the trophy cabinet and take the club to the top flight for the first time in their history (founded in 1934).

With that said, I look forward to detailing my save here and hope that you will enjoy!

Pre-season review

d80821f15ce24f8b4d7b10b1412ca3e3.png

Pre-season proved to be a major success, as we came out with five wins from five - albeit against lower league opposition. One of the most pleasing factors for me was the number of goals scored compared to the number of goals conceded. The 3-0 victory over League Two side Cambridge proved that we have a quality attack, as well as a solid defence, whereas a 2-1 win over Notts County, one of League Two's better teams (at least in game) was also pleasing.

Elsewhere, we were gifted around £400,000 to make necessary improvements to the squad. However, I brought in just one player - deeming the current squad strong enough for the present. Instead, I recruited a number of staff additions to add to a fairly low backroom staff when I first arrived.

8db9e77cfa45fb86af3ff8aa882a6af8.png

The additions have significantly strengthened our backroom team. The coaching team in particular has been improved with a wealth of quality and experience in the shape of Dan Micciche and Richard Money. The former spent last season with MK Dons and has been involved with the England setup as a youth coach. The latter has been involved with a large number of teams in a successful managerial career - which has seen him manage the likes of AIK, Walsall, Luton and Cambridge.

The only addition to the playing squad came in the form of Shrewsbury full-back James Bolton. The 23-year-old arrives for a fee of £220,000 and possesses a great roundness to his game for this level. He enjoyed a successful season with the Shrews last campaign, playing 32 times having arrived from National League side Gateshead. He will provide competition to Jason Naismith on the right-hand side of the back four.

617c2ed0fc2e4c9d04e693789b4f99a2.png

So the squad going into the first game of the season reads as:

Goalkeepers:

25. Conor O'Malley
1. Aaron Chapman

Defenders:

13. James Bolton
20. Sam Cartwright
2. Jason Naismith
27. Sebastian Bassong
5. Ryan Tafazolli
16. Rhys Bennett

3. Josh Knight (on loan from Leicester City)
6. Ben White (on loan from Brighton & Hove Albion)
18. Danny Lafferty (on loan from Sheffield United)
23. Tyler Denton (on loan from Leeds United)
32. Lewis Freestone

Midfielders:

4. Alex Woodyard
14. Callum Cooke
11. Louis Reed
30. Kyle Dempsey
(on loan from Fleetwood Town)
22. Darren Lyon
21. Marcus Maddison
7. Isaac Buckley-Ricketts
10. Siriki Dembele
15. Joe Ward