avstu

Reaction score
I was just wondering how do people go about picking the right tactic for their team?

are you someone who takes over a new club and states this is how I want us to play so we will play this way regardless of how long it takes for the results to come?

or are you someone who just goes with whatever your staff reccommend?

I run everything except i dont do media and most seasons i dont do training matches and yes I don't trust my staff blindly - to be honest i don't use them that much, but they are good to have for the training the scouting and the injuries etc.

Tactics are the fun part and the frustrating part - i dont wanna hear anything from my staff about that unless Langvatn is one of the staff members :)

Cheers

What I tend to do with a new team is draw them all out on paper.

First I draw a grid that has all the positions where you can place players in a tactic IE: Fullback, Center Midfield etc...
Then I tick the related position for every player I have in the 1st AND reserve teams who plays that position naturally.
From that I get a rough idea of what shape/s I can use and where we have depth.
I also learn from this if we have too many or too few players in critical areas.

I will then use the filters to go through the players one by one, section by section, left/right/center and defence/midfield/attack.
I look at things like ability, potential, personality and for the key skills that I want players to have or that are particular to my style of football.
At this point I make notes of secondary positions and try to come up with a formula where by I have two players for every position, this might mean playing a player in a less favored position for a season or so.

After all this is done I usually have a goodish feel for the players and why types of football they could play and in what formations, I also have a pretty good idea who is not in my plans and who just has got to go.

I have looked at the backroom staff's formation recommendations and often I have come to a different conclusion based on the results of my draw it "draw it on paper method" because the staff obviously can't take into account what my interpretation of what I think suits the team best.

It's from this point I will try and get closer to my style of play.
I don't have a single 'killer' tactic that I try to impose on every team I play, just a general stand off pass and move ideology.

I also manage the U18 side too but I am more brutal in culling players who don't fit the mold.

What I tend to do with a new team is draw them all out on paper.

First I draw a grid that has all the positions where you can place players in a tactic IE: Fullback, Center Midfield etc...
Then I tick the related position for every player I have in the 1st AND reserve teams who plays that position naturally.
From that I get a rough idea of what shape/s I can use and where we have depth.
I also learn from this if we have too many or too few players in critical areas.

I will then use the filters to go through the players one by one, section by section, left/right/center and defence/midfield/attack.
I look at things like ability, potential, personality and for the key skills that I want players to have or that are particular to my style of football.
At this point I make notes of secondary positions and try to come up with a formula where by I have two players for every position, this might mean playing a player in a less favored position for a season or so.

After all this is done I usually have a goodish feel for the players and why types of football they could play and in what formations, I also have a pretty good idea who is not in my plans and who just has got to go.

I have looked at the backroom staff's formation recommendations and often I have come to a different conclusion based on the results of my draw it "draw it on paper method" because the staff obviously can't take into account what my interpretation of what I think suits the team best.

It's from this point I will try and get closer to my style of play.
I don't have a single 'killer' tactic that I try to impose on every team I play, just a general stand off pass and move ideology.

I also manage the U18 side too but I am more brutal in culling players who don't fit the mold.

WEE man - you are such a perfectionist, but its thorough :)

I have a friend who also love these football manager games - his best tools is his pen and a piece of paper to take notes!
I'm ruthless to I sack players that don't look like they have a future in the game. I also sell players sometimes 15 1st team players out of 20 and then start to rebuild everything, but that is ofcause a bigger challenge with a smaller team than Barcelona :)
It was what I did with my 2.Division team in Germany FC Nurnberg. When I sell out of the first team I write down on a piece of paper how many for each position that I need for the tactic that I intend to use. I always go for 2 per position so if my tactic have 3 midfielders I need 6 players atleast to be able to play their. I prefer talent over solid too.

Cheers

I do almost the same as WEE . Season by season I make my rooster in paper and draw a starter eleven in their positions.If I use 2 tactics in the same season I make a table with secondaries possitions for both tactics. I usually go for 2 by position + a younger as a 3 player in thar position ( I use him in cup matches until the final rounds )

I imagine tactics,draw them in paper and try to implement in game...have a few but are silly tactics lol. And i try to learn from mates like jesaustralia,nessa,etc... but I dont have so many time,patience and talent haha...plus Im spanish and I dont understand so so well all the things I read here...but I try! (H)

I do almost the same as WEE . Season by season I make my rooster in paper and draw a starter eleven in their positions.If I use 2 tactics in the same season I make a table with secondaries possitions for both tactics. I usually go for 2 by position + a younger as a 3 player in thar position ( I use him in cup matches until the final rounds )

I imagine tactics,draw them in paper and try to implement in game...have a few but are silly tactics lol. And i try to learn from mates like jesaustralia,nessa,etc... but I dont have so many time,patience and talent haha...plus Im spanish and I dont understand so so well all the things I read here...but I try! (H)

To be honest with you mate!

I have failed countless of times - in FM both former and this version and suddenly something happens and you start to see the big picture. I will also say its not always your own fault that you fail (Me/you/anyone) Its a game more than anything and cannot be compared to real life. Though the creators have good intentions when they program the match engine their is yet still lots of flaws. I think their's alot of conflict with some of the sliders and often I feel it makes no sense at all - especially creative freedom.

My friend who also likes to write things down he still plays fm12 he things the match engine is superior to fm13 and 14, so I have been thinking to buy this one a few times, I saw a video of fm12 where i thought the passing was exellent to look at compared to fm13.

I think you understand english perfectly

cheers pal

I know I have come late to this thread... But have been messing around with a tactic for around a month now... I find that for me I only set instructions for Team and Set Pieces... Don't do anything with the players sliders etc.... Seems to work for me, does not score a massive amount of goals, but does win comps entered in. So perhaps winning can be done by just setting it up basic especially if like me you are a bit afraid to change sliders on player screen.

I know I have come late to this thread... But have been messing around with a tactic for around a month now... I find that for me I only set instructions for Team and Set Pieces... Don't do anything with the players sliders etc.... Seems to work for me, does not score a massive amount of goals, but does win comps entered in. So perhaps winning can be done by just setting it up basic especially if like me you are a bit afraid to change sliders on player screen.

actually the arrigo sacchi tactic is very similar to what you say...I think apart from DM PIs, and shoots from distance it isnt modified for the players instructions