Pires set to complete Villa move

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 1K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Aston Villa are set to sign former Arsenal winger Robert Pires later this week, according to the club's website.

More...

Wow i hated the geezer because he was so good at Arsenal lol. Good backup player though.

Happy! Very very very happy.

A quality, versatile operator, and will fill in for us as the attacking pivot: supposedly Ireland's role, but he's not exactly been up to scratch so far.

If what Arsene says is true (and I believe him, frankly) we've got a good player coming our way.

will need someone with pace to compliment him

will need someone with pace to compliment him

Young, Agbonlahor, Albrighton, Downing quick enough for you?

Wouldn't mind if he did something like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TlBaeUjO1g"]YouTube - Take a bow son. Andy Gray starts clapping at this Robert Pires goal v Aston Villa.[/ame]

Sorry I meant if they played him in centre mid to use his creativity. Someone with decent pace in centre mid. If they play him on the wing then my point is invalid

Sorry I meant if they played him in centre mid to use his creativity. Someone with decent pace in centre mid. If they play him on the wing then my point is invalid

Your point is still invalid. Pace is of much, much more use on the wing than in the centre, especially when Pires will be tucked in behind Agbonlahor in the centre.

Your point is still invalid. Pace is of much, much more use on the wing than in the centre, especially when Pires will be tucked in behind Agbonlahor.

What I'm saying is that when the opponents attack they could get through the middle quite easily if there is no pace which is why there would need to be someone to compliment him if he was played in the middle. But yes he should be a decent signing.

What I'm saying is that when the opponents attack they could get through the middle quite easily if there is no pace which is why there would need to be someone to compliment him if he was played in the middle. But yes he should be a decent signing.

You're disregarding the basic point of a 4-2-3-1, which is what Villa are playing. The point of two holding mids (in Villa's case, at least one of them with good pace) is that they can allow the four attackers to have little defensive responsibilities. It doesn't matter too much if Pires is too slow to cope with attackers, because he's playing so high up the field.

But never mind, eh. I'll put my arguing hat away. ;)

Just thought I'd pop in with this: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_6510932,00.html

Interesting to me.

You're disregarding the basic point of a 4-2-3-1, which is what Villa are playing. The point of two holding mids (in Villa's case, at least one of them with good pace) is that they can allow the four attackers to have little defensive responsibilities. It doesn't matter too much if Pires is too slow to cope with attackers, because he's playing so high up the field.

Just thought I'd pop in with this: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_6510932,00.html

Interesting to me.

fair enough mate, you know a lot more about villa than i do ;)

Interesting to me.

That would be epic lol, we all know Madrid look like they will sign Llorente in January so maybe they will look to raise some cash for him by selling Benzema.

I'm impressed by Houllier's intent, at least. If nothing else, Pires is a canny operator and will give our younglings some good advice about wing play, off the ball and how to win a penalty without being tackled.

That would be epic lol, we all know Madrid look like they will sign Llorente in January so maybe they will look to raise some cash for him by selling Benzema.

Indeed. Would be well impressed if Hou pulled that one off. Really puts the signing of Hleb that the bluenoses were getting excited about into context. :P

Quality player. I hope him the best at the end of his career.

Indeed. Would be well impressed if Hou pulled that one off. Really puts the signing of Hleb that the bluenoses were getting excited about into context. :P

You really think your mob could afford Benzema... and fight others off for his signature... oO)

enjoy that magical fairy land you live in

Pires however a more realistic signing, is a great capture for your mob, form is temporary but class is permanent, he will more than cope with that role behind yourmomsahore

in all fairness the villa front line would then look intimidating...

Absolute legend, even at his age he could still do wonders for Villa, wish him the best of luck.

You really think your mob could afford Benzema... and fight others off for his signature... oO)

enjoy that magical fairy land you live in

**** no, I don't. ;) However, I think a short-term loan, to a Premiership club of good stature, for a player who isn't getting game time and paying a small portion of his wages would be appealing to Jose, so that may be possible.

Pires however a more realistic signing, is a great capture for your mob, form is temporary but class is permanent, he will more than cope with that role behind yourmomsahore

in all fairness the villa front line would then look intimidating...

And he was in good form too, at Villarreal, so he could do well. Considering Ireland's been playing like kak, there's not exactly much to lose. I'm just hoping all the movement hasn't been trained out of the Gabmeister though, he's been playing as a straight up target man for too long now...

**** no, I don't. ;) However, I think a short-term loan, to a Premiership club of good stature, for a player who isn't getting game time and paying a small portion of his wages would be appealing to Jose, so that may be possible.

And he was in good form too, at Villarreal, so he could do well. Considering Ireland's been playing like kak, there's not exactly much to lose. I'm just hoping all the movement hasn't been trained out of the Gabmeister though, he's been playing as a straight up target man for too long now...

Ye that would be feasible but how often do small amounts of wages get paid for top class players in loan deals these days, Bellamy is the only one i can think of...
Although i can see the appeal with Houlier being French and Benzema being french

at present you are rebuilding with youth, and have never spent anywhere near his wage on anyone i wouldn't have thought.

Randy Lerner has a strict wage cap in place, so its massively unlikely. And with the shipping out your best player in the last two seasons and not spending hardly anything shows that there's not much in the coffers at present.

Although i agree Pires is a capture and a half! Like you said earlier with only forward responsibilities he could play most games without getting knackered, if needs be yourmomsahore could do his tracking for him! But ye not a nice thing for Ireland to see, someone basically being brought in for his position, one of the biggest disappointments of the summer transfer window i think.

I hope they dont get benzema, wouldnt mind that bad boy in the united team tbh.

Back