Players can't finish clear cut chances

sahars1263

Reaction score
Hi, I have been playing FM since 2012, and I have became overall a fine FM player. But for some reason, since I bought FM 2018, Im having some real struggles- for some reason, any striker that I use cant finish clear cut chanses, like at all. I used Dolberg, Belotti, Tosun,Immobile, Florinel Coman, Nabil Fekir, Milik, Mertens, Sanchez and many more strikers but Im yet to find one who is able to finish even half of his chanses. I even had one game where Kasper Dolberg missed 7(!) 1 on1 situations, and many more games where my strikers just shot at the keeper from good situations. Now, I know that even the best strikers can miss chanses here and there, but it has become to a point where Im able to score 1 of 10 clear cut chanses. Anyone else has being facing the same problem? Is there any solution?

Yep especially headers from 12 yards or closer. There going straight over the bar

I've always had a feeling that if you give your striker a role they are not comfortable with then it will affect their morale and confidence. Not sure how true that is, but I tend to change their role during the game if they are not playing well. It sometimes works.

I've always had a feeling that if you give your striker a role they are not comfortable with then it will affect their morale and confidence. Not sure how true that is, but I tend to change their role during the game if they are not playing well. It sometimes works.
It's not true at all. Roles are just pre-set instructions and there's no role familiarity. Missing one or two sitters in a match may see the player lose confidence after that, in the match, but that's obviously very different.

the game is rigged though , everything is randomly fixed ,for example if that match is destined to be a lost ,it would be a lost no matter what you do
for example if you play against manchester city with arsenal myou will lose

This is a straight up lie. You're probably just a bad FM player with deluded self opinion.

Had this issue and resolved it. You need to send us screenshots of both tactics and instructions so we can help you out. You may be giving your strikers a dead end, which is common in the later versions of FM.
I tried many tactics this year. This is the one I had most success with.
For some reason Im not allowed to attatch URLS so I have to write the instructions. the striker dont got any special insturcions, and the wingers, am's and mc's instructions are mainly to shoot less often and press foward(as I tend to find shooting from long range this year pretty unaffective).
The team instructions are Exlpoit the flanks, Play out of defence,Run at defence. I tried some other instructions that fit diffrent situatuations like more closing down , hit early crosses and work ball into box.
When the tactic worked well it helped me to win the Preimer League in the first season as Watford, but later with teams like Lazio and Everton I kept getting great chances but missed the most of them, while every oppsition with worst players seemed to score every chance.
I also tried downloading the 3 AMigos tactic and adjust it for my team, but despite getting tons of chances my players still seemed to not be able to score.

It sounds to me like possibly you're bringing way too many players to the opposition area, crowding it in and those clear cut chances are not so due to proximity of defenders, which may not look like much to you, but that in the game do affect the accuracy, as it will cause the striker to feel pressured and hence feel the need to be hasty with his shot, getting a nasty hit to his precission of shooting.

It sounds to me like possibly you're bringing way too many players to the opposition area, crowding it in and those clear cut chances are not so due to proximity of defenders, which may not look like much to you, but that in the game do affect the accuracy, as it will cause the striker to feel pressured and hence feel the need to be hasty with his shot, getting a nasty hit to his precission of shooting.
I will try it but as Im playing with good teams relativly to thier league its pretty hard to win games without having a lot of players attacking.
Ok I have a 4-3-3 tactic that will work for you. It will be a plug and play option, so you won't need to alter anything. I will upload it for you early next week. I had similar issues, and this tactic had excellent balance.

Will upload for you on Monday morning. I cannot stress enough - don't change it. Don't altar any of the players positions or anything! You need time to 'bed in' any tactic.

Will catch up on Monday
I will try it as well, thanks.

I will try it but as Im playing with good teams relativly to thier league its pretty hard to win games without having a lot of players attacking.

That's one more of those balancing acts one needs to make when building a tactic. Also that's something I'd bet to be the most widespread mistake of FM players: "since rivals defend in numbers I have to send as many forward as I can". Wrong. You're adding clutter to the space. The balancing act is that, you certainly do need to bring enough players to bring enough numbers to compete with the number of their defenders, but if you do it simply by bringing more and more players forward, they get all compressed, space vanishes even more and nothing has been solved. While it's reasonable to bring some more players forward than you'd do if your opposition didn't defend with so many numbers, you need to combine it with what is the main way to make space: trying to foce their defenders away to make space for your attackers. There is the main balancing act: have your supporting players too deep and the defenders will stay in their positions to give them overwhelming superiority, move them too high and they add to the congestion, there is just the right middle point in which the supporting players will be deemed a threat by the defenders, which will cause them to come out to meet them and free space for your attackers. That's where I'd focus my efforts, in looking that the midfield make that role. You can also use the striker to try move away to open spaces for late runners.
Assuming you're using a 4-2-3-1, what I'd do is to make one of the 2 to be deep to recycle possession and the other support. Perhaps one wide AM to support as well. Then either the AM would be a support behind the striker X-A or make the AM your spearhead as shadow striker or some attacking duty role with the striker in one of the deeper roles with the mission to drag defenders to open lanes for the AM. And I'd definitely remove the move forward and run at defenders, except for the best dribbler and perhaps one of the supporting that is better in the area.
But the main point is to keep an eye on the players that don't run to the area, see that they are attracting defenders away from it. If they don't they're too deep, if they do getting into the area, they're too high. I don't know if leadership and reputation have a say in how much players get rivals to close them down.