Players not responding to tactical instructions

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Fairly new to this forum (have been looking at it for almost a year, but only signed up today) but have been playing FM for a good 10 years or so. I want to start off by saying I've gotten a lot of help from here and learnt a lot, so cheers everyone!

I simply cannot do well in FM13. I've achieved amazing results in every FM I have ever played (with my own tactics usually), but i cant get through a season so far in FM13 without a total breakdown of form which I can turn around yet. I'd like to point out that I switched to playi FM Classic in order to avoid the intricacies of FM13, but that doesnt seem to make a difference.

What always happens is that i start off well, smashing opponents left right and center. However, at one point during the season, my players simply stop playing according to the tactical instructions and start doing peculiar things. The most common of these things are:
  1. Taking ridiculous long shots constantly despite all the players having "long shots" on rarely. By ridiculous i mean from like 40 yards or from impossible angles and not even close to the target, and this usually happens at least 15 times a game.
  2. Wingers or fullbacks dribbling from one wing to the other aimlessly (cutting in) despite being told to hug the touchline and cross. Often they are the ones who take the long shots.
  3. Players randomly stopping, turning around to face my own goal, and either lose the ball to the opposition or pass the ball all the way back to the defence or goaly. This happens even when an easy chance to play someone through is available.
  4. Ridiculous, impossible long balls even when told to play it short.
Shouts have done nothing to stop any of these things. They have happened to me with every tactic ive downloaded from this site, and my own as well. I usually play with Chelsea, who have an amazing squad to start with, and i reinforce it with amazing signings who always gel immediately and play amazing at the first 15-25 games or so, before the crisis begins and I start losing every single game.

Maybe im missing something here - i thought maybe coz i usually play with high tempo my players dont know what to do so they do stupid thing - thats just a theory though. Even if its true, i still want to play high tempo! Surely my players should be able to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This game has been a massive part of me for 10 years and now i find myself hating it. I go crazy and say im not playing anymore but every few days i start a new game and then fail again and the cycle never ends!

hey bud,

FMC and FM are both run on the same Engine mate and will not make a difference at all :)

1) this is a bug SI are currently looking into and should be fixed with the patch coming out near the end of the month

2) check the players PPM's mate.. do they have run with ball often/cut inside (dribbles down the left when you are playing them as AMR's? and vice versa?)

3) have they been instructed to hold up ball? have you given them settings like no long shots/crossing/through balls? have you set a playmaker and or target man, if you have they will most likely be looking to play it to that player who may not be in a position to receive the ball correctly.. there are many things that can influence this but over and above that, the ME does do this quite often and I am sure SI will sort it out :)

4) use shouts - pass to feet and retain possession.. if players do not have an option on for a pass with little freedom they tend to hoof the ball clear from danger (especially if their passing is set to direct)

I hope this helps you a bit mate :)

Hey man,

Thanks for those points. I understand the match engine is the same, my move to FMC was in order to make sure that my under-performance is not due to bad man management/media handling etc.

The PPM provide some limited explanations, because the wingers do have the 'run with ball often', but then again, pretty much all good wingers in the came do im pretty sure. One winger has the "cut inside", ppm, but it doesnt look as though he's the only one who does it. The really odd one is the longshot, because Frank Lampard is the only one with that PPM yet everyone is taking long shots.

The instructions for my players are the standard instructions for those positions without any tweaking - i have 2 automatic central midfielders, 2 attack wingers, 1 attack DLF and 1 poacher. As such, the wingers (which are probably my problem atm) are not really behaving according to the normal winger settings of hugging touch line, crossing often etc.

There is no playmaker, but my DLF is a target man so perhaps thats one of my problems. Do you think i should try untick this?

I was trying to experiment with the tactic a bit to see whats going on. The one metre im not entirely sure what to do with is creative freedom - i was thinking that since i play on "very fluid", perhaps my team has too much creative freedom, and i should move it to more disciplined. I also thought maybe my players' movement is not good enough, and i should give them more roaming. I achieved a few better results this way, but i just hit bad form again.

When ever this happens to me, I assume that my tactical instructions are play my team into cul-de-sacks. If a players wantonly passes the ball long even though I have it set to short, It could be becasue the opposition are closing down your team well and in this instance, you need to tweek the positions to give the passer more options.

like Raikan007 said, the long shots are a bug and there are many threads on here aimed at lessening these sort of things but it's up to SI to eliminate the problem.

Chelsea has a good team with high Stamina but the majority of their players Decision making stat is between 11 and 15 so in the crisis situations as their stamina is running low, they will not exicute the game plan 100%. This is something you really need to take into account when trying to play a high tempo game esspecially if you play a high line with aggressive closing down.

Cheers for the help guys, Ill take everything into consideration.

I've looked at most of those threads already but i will go over them again and learn as much as i can.

just remember as well that you are playing against a team that has also set instructions on how to deal with your players..

Yeah of course. Im used to all of those things and i think i use shouts etc fairly well, ive done a fair bit of reading through the years and have made my fair share of near unbeatable tactics (im not trying to brag, im aware most people have done it as well), i just found it really weird here that my shouts were just not so effective. I expected to see a visible shift when i would instruct my players to do more wide play etc but even with "comprehensive" highlights i didnt really see it.

Im thinking that the target man instructions might have played a big role, my performance has seriously improved since i unticked it (ive played 3 more games)...im thinking to maybe put it back but as 'run onto ball' and for the poacher, but ive noticed that its not as effective as it was in 2012 (where run onto ball was deadly for me).

However, without the assists chart in FMC, its hard to know whether youre playing a high line team, so it seems a bit risky to me to play run onto ball when so many teams would probably play deep against me

Yeah of course. Im used to all of those things and i think i use shouts etc fairly well, ive done a fair bit of reading through the years and have made my fair share of near unbeatable tactics (im not trying to brag, im aware most people have done it as well), i just found it really weird here that my shouts were just not so effective. I expected to see a visible shift when i would instruct my players to do more wide play etc but even with "comprehensive" highlights i didnt really see it.

Im thinking that the target man instructions might have played a big role, my performance has seriously improved since i unticked it (ive played 3 more games)...im thinking to maybe put it back but as 'run onto ball' and for the poacher, but ive noticed that its not as effective as it was in 2012 (where run onto ball was deadly for me).

However, without the assists chart in FMC, its hard to know whether youre playing a high line team, so it seems a bit risky to me to play run onto ball when so many teams would probably play deep against me

good mate :)

run onto ball is not as effective as it was in Fm12 as its a bit of an "exploit" (some people believe it to be)

as well as the current ME having the ball move really long and quickly along the surface I would not really encourage that until the physics have been sorted out 100% otherwise your players will just run after nothing (this is only a thought, I have seen this myself, but have also used pass into space effectively..)

so its up to you

Back