Players & Tactics for Spurs

Pandaros

Banned
Reaction score
I've played a number of seasons with Spurs on different games and thought I would share some experiences and see if anyone else has much play time as Spurs and has good information to share.

Squad Analysis & Possible Signings (only covering the main players, all figures are UK pounds)

GK - Gomes, Cesar
I find Gomes performs really well and I can't think of a goalkeeper that will come to Spurs that is better than him. I've kept him every time I've started with Spurs. Cesar seems pretty ordinary but as Gomes is quite injury free in my experience I don't bother to sign another backup at this time. At the end of Season 1 if I have spare cash I'll try to buy Fiorillo as cover.

Defenders
Overall Spurs are pretty strong here although there's a lack of depth at fullback; there's no adequate cover for Bale and no first choice RB until Hutton is fit again.

DR - Hutton, Corluka (2nd position)
Hutton is injured when you start the game and has only recently joined the club. He performs ok when fit but seems to be very injury prone. My recommendation is to sell him in the January window, can get about 8-10m for him when you offer him to clubs. If you can I'd sign Srna (before he goes to Man City); I've only bought him once and he's absolutely outstanding, my best player more or less. Backup in the form of Daniel Opare (cheap as anything but can do a good job) or Davide Stanton works.

DL - Gareth Bale, Gilberto, Assu-Ekotto
Bale is great but very injury prone, if you keep him then you need to purchase someone to cover. I always sell Ekotto. Christian Molinaro from Juventus is a good option, in my most recent game I signed Molinaro and sold Bale. I've been struggling to find a good cheap/young backup LB for Molinaro though - Guilherme was ok when I bought him in one game.

CB/SW - Woodgate, King, Corluka, Dawson
Woodgate, King and Corluka are all of similar ability although they are all a little injury prone (particularly Woodgate and King) - if great offers come in for Woodgate or King I'd take them but that won't happen at game start. Generally I sell Dawson if I can get 7-8 million for him. On the purchase front I've bought Sakho quite a few times but he's pretty expensive and isn't a priority in Season 1 I don't think as we have pretty good CBs already. Woodgate is the only SW and that's as a 2nd position - I'd be interested in knowing of some good SW that would come to Spurs.

Midfielders
A lot depends on what formation you play here but if you use ML and MR I don't think Bentley and Modric play well in those positions so that's not a good fit. If you use AML and AMR then that's a great fit with the players Spurs have. Spurs are lacking in the CM department and that's the key area in the squad that I try to strengthen. Remember that Bentley, Dos Santos and Modric have just joined so you probably won't be able to sell them until the January window.

LM/AML - Modric, O'Hara
I don't use a formation that plays LM although I did try standard 4-4-2 and found Modric was so so there. I have been playing a formation that uses an AML and Modric was one of my best if not the best player for me there. Modric is an outstanding talent in FM and if you can fit him into your formation then keep him. I have played Modric at AMC and found he doesn't play well there - I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has had him play well there?

RM/AML - Bentley, Lennon
As per above; these players don't play well at RM in my experience. If you're not using AMR then they are wasted and should be sold. Bentley plays well and Lennon is an adequate backup although both are a little injury prone (Lennon particularly). I sell Lennon and buy some cheap cover although the name escapes me.

CM/DM/AMC - Dos Santos, Zokora, Jenas, Huddlestone
The weakest area of the Spurs team in FM in my opinion. I buy Lassana Diarra and Moutinho if I can beat Man City out and have had great results with them; I guess Diarra is a no go in patch 9.3 though now he's at Real... I also bought Marek Hamsik one time but he didn't play well for me although he looks great. I sell Zokora and keep Jenas and Huddlestone as cover although I'd accept good offers for them - just have to be careful not to make to many changes to the squad in one go. Jenas can play ok to be honest, Huddlestone so so, never really tried with Zokora though (ironic as I rate him IRL heh...) Other players I have had good results with are Hernanes and Rafael Carioca (DMC young and covers well), and Fernando Gago (DMC - Real didn't want him!). I'd be interested in knowing of good relatively inexpensive DMC players? I don't play AMC but in Season 1 I think Dos Santos isn't good enough for a first team slot and you'd have to bring someone in as I've never got Modric to play well there - welcome recommendations for that position?

FC/ST - Pavlyuchenko, Bent, Campbell
Another weak area to some degree and not one that I usually have enough money to fix at the beginning of the season; hopefully with a few sales in the January window you will have enough cash to buy Michael Owen. I'm really interested in hearing about good quality tall/good headers of the ball that will come to Spurs? I assume Defoe will be back in 9.3; just hope they up his ability ;)

Reserves/Youth
There's nobody that I would keep from either squad and I try and sell them all with varying degrees of success...

Tactics

I've tried three main tactics for Spurs all variations of the standard theme.

4-4-2
Pretty much the base standard; I didn't have much success with this and found that the wide men played badly.

GK - Gomes, Fiorillo
LB - Bale, Guilherme
CB - Woodgate, King, Sakho
RB - Corluka
CM - Moutinho, Jenas
CM - Diarra
LM - Modric, Dos Santos
RM - Bentley
ST - Bent, Pav, Owen

4-2-4
Had good results with this, I think I had one of the CMs pushing back and the two wingers pushing up. I also tried this with a DMC and an CM with some success although you seem to need an awesome DMC to pull it off and Carioca wasn't good enough although Pirlo was! The wingers play really well in this formation.

GK - Gomes, Fiorillo
LB - Bale, Gilberto
CB - Woodgate, King, Sakho
RB - Corluka
CM - Moutinho, Jenas, Hernanes
CM - Diarra
AML - Modric, Dos Santos
AMR - Bentley, Stanton
ST - Bent, Pav, Owen, Sturridge

4-1-2-1-2
Have had mixed success with this, it really meant a big change to the squad. Played Modric as a playmaker behind the front two and he never really performed although the team did well and came close to the top of the league. I trained Bentley in the AMC position all season but he doesn't play well as the playmaker there either so I sold him.

In Season 2 this hasn't worked at all for me and I'm not sure what the difference is. The one bright spot of Season 2 is that Sanchis is playing well although Bent has been shocking and I'm struggling to find a good header/tall player to partner Owen or Sanchez as I sold Pav for 18 million to Liverpool.

GK - Gomes, Fiorillo
LB - Molinaro
CB - Woodgate, King, Corluka, Rodwell
RB - Srna, Opare
CM - Moutinho, Hernanes, Diarra
DMC - Gago, Carioca
AMC - Modric, Renato Agusto (not a success)
ST - Bent, Owen, Sturridge, Alexis Sanchez (does well in Season 2)

Will probably try a game using a 3-2-2-1-2 formation next with players something like this;

GK - Gomes
SW - Woodgate
DC - King, Corluka, Sakho
WBL - Bale
WBR - Srna
CM - Diarra, Moutinho
AMC - Modric (will try again to see if he plays well there, probably not as a playmaker this time)
ST - Pav, Bent, Owen

Players for Spurs

GK - Fiorillo (only as cover)
DL - Christian Molinaro, Gilberto
DR - Srna (amazing), Daniel Opare, Davide Stanton
DC - Sakho, Thiago Silva, Phil Jagielka (good utility player)
DMC - Fernando Gago, Pirlo (very expensive!), Rafael Carioca
CM - Lassana Diarra, Moutinho, Hernanes, Hamsik
AML/AMR - Can't remember the names only bought youngsters
AMC - Adu (Season 2), Van der Vaart
ST/FC - Michael Owen, Alexis Sanchez, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

Welcome suggestions and feedback, in fact I'd really appreciate them - I've certainly not found any killer tactics that always work and I have had to work very hard to get into the top four each season and haven't always suceeded for sure.

P.S. I've typed this all from memory so I'm would bet that I forget a player from the Spurs squad!

Last edited:
Nice analysis first of all. I have just finished my 2nd season as spurs. Agree with most of the things u say.

Would recommend as a DM, miguel veloso at about £12m. He started slowly when he first arrived but has become very gd and I had to turn down bids of £20m at the end of the season. Also gd target men who scored goals for me are Pavel Pogrebnyak (£4.4m - bargain) and Oscar Cardozo (£10m at jan of 2nd season).
Other good signings I would recommend are: Thiago Silva (£4.4m), Fazio (expensive but great player) and Balotelli (£10m)

Nice analysis first of all. I have just finished my 2nd season as spurs. Agree with most of the things u say.

Would recommend as a DM, miguel veloso at about £12m. He started slowly when he first arrived but has become very gd and I had to turn down bids of £20m at the end of the season. Also gd target men who scored goals for me are Pavel Pogrebnyak (£4.4m - bargain) and Oscar Cardozo (£10m at jan of 2nd season).
Other good signings I would recommend are: Thiago Silva (£4.4m), Fazio (expensive but great player) and Balotelli (£10m)
The best DM i have had so far is Fellaini (£16m) he stop almost all any run's from midfield from other team's & win's all ball's the the air he his really great for your attacking player's so they can get on with they job's so you lose the ball he win it & give it back to your attacking player's. Cardozo you can get on loan in the first season & then get in jan for (£6m) it's best to do that to see if he fit's with your tac & team because i almost alway's make my tac to fit the team i got & sometime's i need 2 SC with lot's of pace & he's got none but he is great if you fit you tac around him a goal almost every game
40288145dq1.jpg

Tried a new game with Spurs;

Players In - Cardozo, Owen, Moutinho, Diarra, Srna, Sakho, Stanton, Molinaro, Sanchez
Players Out - Zokora, Assu-Ekkotto, Huddlestone, Jenas, Lennon, Bent

Played with a 3-2-2-1-2 formation using wing backs.

GK - Gomes
CB - Corluka
SW - Woodgate
CB - Sakho/King
WBL - Bale/Molinaro
WBR - Srna/Stanton
CM - Moutinho
CM - Diarra
AMC - Modric/Bentley/Dos Santos
FC - Owen/Sanchez
ST - Cardozo/Pav

Tried using a target man with this formation - started great with Cardozo scoring five goals in the first two games.

Then it went very much downhill and I really struggled to get the results. Kept getting messages about me being to stubborn to change tactics to get a win etc.

Finished the season in 9th, knocked out of the League Cup in semis by Portsmouth, Quarter Finals in UEFA and 4th Round in FA Cup.

Also tried the tactic suggested by DavidSwitch in this thread but it didn't work for me at all :(

Into Season 2 and I've moved to try the Narrow Diamond formation suggested.
Added to the squad with Arshavin and sold Gareth Bale to Man City for 25M GBP which for an injury prone player I thought was good business.

We'll see how it goes...