Players then tactics or tactics then players

• Thread starter Thread starter Sebacore
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 1K

Sebacore

Reaction score
Do you tend to pick your tactics based off your starting players or do you choose your tactic and then start fitting/finding players to play within it?

I am still pretty new at the game and am struggling to find players that will fit in my style of play, which has me wondering if I should opt to change my style to better fit the players I have currently. If it matter's I am playing as DC United in the MLS.

The latter, I like to pick a philosophy and build my team around that.

I agree with Maxy67. Most "real life" managers usually have a philosophy or formation/style in which they want to play. When Ferguson took over at United back in 1986 he said he wanted to play attractive attacking football. Mourinho has said on many occasions he doesn't care if his footbal isn't pretty to watch it gets results. Sometimes the style of play can be attibuted to the history of the club you are at. For instance you couldn't imagine a defensive minded long ball playing manager taking over at Barcelona or Manchester United. The history of certain clubs dictate the club to play attacking football or possesion football etc

Depends on your managing style. I also do as the previous posters, however if I am limithed on budged I would prefer to build a tactic around the players. In a safe with Perugia (starting from c2b) I earned 30 mil for 3 years and a half, just by signing cheap young players and then building a strategy around them to exploit them best.

I guess my biggest issue is more of signing the right players. That is part of the game I am still trying to really learn.

I think it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to be a journeyman and eventually take control of your favorite club, then I would adjust to your players as immediate success is more important than sustained success. However, if you are working with a big club or trying to resurrect a fallen club (or just want to stay with whatever club you start with), then I would suggest starting with a clear philosophy.

Currently, I am working on bringing Real Betis back to the top of La Liga and I started with the idea that I am going to create a team based on possession and I immediately bought a slew of creative midfielders (that can defend...basically a bunch of dlps) and technically sound dms/cbs (my current preferred choice cb pairing are 2 natural dms). Betis is doing extremely well, but there have been growing pains. I tend to narrowly win or tie a lot of matches despite dominating possession and fluffing up a lot of opportunities. However, I am fully confident that this plan-in the long run-will bring a great deal of success and allow me to compete with the Barcas and Madrids of La Liga...hope this was helpful.

jakem016 has hit the nail on the head. It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Anything long term, you should definitely have a clear philosophy in your head, and buy players that suit it. If you're left with no option and need immediate success and recognition, then you have to build your tactics based on the players you have.

Well a combination of course. When I start a team I evaluate and buy players to cover the teams weaknesses and use the teams strengths. For an instant with Shakhtar I use the very techincal and fast offensive players to run at the defence alot and play quick, while with inter i play with more possession.

However I always try to havea strong defence, fullbacks to help the offense and I never play with direct or long passes and I play attacking football. Either holding the ball or play fast flowing with alot of players running from deep, it depends what players i have in the team.

I like to pick a philosophy and build my team around that.
g.gif

Back