Playing against Man City

• Thread starter Thread starter baxter51
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 9K

baxter51

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tactics or formations or anything to beat Man City? i always get battered by them and they always have about 20-30 shots and score about 4 or 5 against me and im lucky to have 5 shots, ive just played them and lost 5-0 and its so annoying and i just have no idea how to beat them :( any ideas?

What team are you? What players do you have? What formation have you been using?

I havent lost with United and/or Reading against them.
Pack the midfield.
They have heaps of shots cuz their players take long punts.Dont worry much about them.
Ask your wider players to specific mark their fullbacks,that way your fullbacks would tuck in and close the gap for T-balls to be played into the centre---which is their biggest weapon.

I have assumed mancini is still their playing the narrow 4-2-3-1.

im playing as west ham, i use a narrow 4-1-2-1-2, im in 2014, my defending has just gone terrible as ive just lost 5-0 against liverpool aswell, my starting line up is:

Muriel - Goalkeeper
Marco Motta - Right Back
Winston Reid - Centre Back
James Tomkins - Centre Back
Lee Wallace - Left Back
Steven Defour - Defensive Midfielder
Mark Noble + Jack Collison - Centre Midfield
Jose Jurado - Attacking Midfield
Modibo Maiga + Admeilson - Strikers

Yes Mancini is still manager and still uses that formation, City have Neymar, Falcao, Fellaini and Papadopoulos in there starting line up..

I just beat them 5-1 with newcastle.

I used rigid counter and played a 4-1-1-2-2 so flat back 4, 1 anchor man, 1 ball winning Cm, 2 inside forwards on the wings pushed up and 2 strikers. Short passing and used the 'Play out of defence' & 'Hassle opponents' shouts.

Think i may have just got lucky but i'm still happy!

I just beat them 5-1 with newcastle.

I used rigid counter and played a 4-1-1-2-2 so flat back 4, 1 anchor man, 1 ball winning Cm, 2 inside forwards on the wings pushed up and 2 strikers. Short passing and used the 'Play out of defence' & 'Hassle opponents' shouts.

Think i may have just got lucky but i'm still happy!

Wow thats a great result, problem is i sold all my wingers now cause i wanted to play without them, but man city and man united always have a stupid amount of shots and goals against me, i did beat united 1-0 this season, but its always a fluke if i do ever beat them!

Playing narrow against some of the better teams will result in you getting destroyed time after time, pack the midfield a little more and push two players out wide, and use a lone striker.

As man utd even though i have been doing completely ***** the one team i seem to do well against is man city playing a 4231. Get the ball out to both flanks with a ball winning mid and box to box mid and play on counter attack.

For people searching for advice on this topic, as I did recently, I can say that playing a fluid and attacking tactic through the whole game has given me two victories against City in my first season with United. Playing a 4-4-2 along the flanks with a very high defensive line, quick tempo and wide play I managed a 4-2 victory at home and a 2-1 away. This is with a City team who have 77 points for 32 matches, and a GD of 61, only beaten by myself with 83 points for 32 games and a GD of 63. They have more than one 7-0 victory in their campaign, and are looking as possible winners of CL.

Edit:

Another point with the high defensive line is, that they only created one actual chance in the 2-1 victory, which obviously resulted in a goal from Tevez.

Last edited:
What Alaza said. Play a pressing game with a high line. This stops them getting into the box, and more often than not, one of their players will decide they're bored of passing and take a long-shot punt.

i want to beat man city with brentford
i have
3 gk
3 lb and rb
4 cb
3 dm
7 cm
2 rm
2 lm
2 amc
4 st
can anyone help?