Playing Up for Pompey

CAFerguson17

Reaction score
Been contemplating making a story for some time now, and have decided to go ahead and start one.
I'll be using my beloved Pompey and will appreciate you guys keeping tabs on this as I attempt to get back to the Premier League and beyond...

New Manager
Today, Portsmouth FC have announced the hiring of unknown Manager, Connor Ferguson. Fans are said to be 'concerned' over this announcement and have been voicing their opinions on the forums. However, David Lampitt (Chief Exectutive) has said he is the right man to lead Portsmouth to glory. In an interview which Lampitt had earlier with 'The News' (Portsmouth Media/News source) he
had this to say;
'We have carried out all procedures and have concluded that Connor is the right man to take the club forward' before adding 'The main reason for hiring Connor was due to his love and passion for the club, and we believe this is definitely a driving force to success'
The bookies were also seemingly surprised with Connor Ferguson being chosen with these odds the most common throughout the gambling world;
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer 3/2
Michael Appleton 4/1
Sean O'Driscoll 5/1
Eddie Howe 6/1
Mark Hughes 8/1
Steve Claridge 11/1

I love it that someone's doing a pompey story!

I was beginning to write one up, but had so much revision that I couldn't continue it.

Good luck mate, I'll definitely be following

Thanks mate. I'm kind of a newbie here so was just wondering how do I actually include screenshots from my game? :s N00b question lol

Transfer Leak
Our Sources on the south coast are telling us that there is already some news regarding transfers coming from within Fratton Park.
It is believed that Portsmouth are on the verge of signing highly rated young Nigerian winger Kelvin Etuhu on a free transfer.
Etuhu has been a free transfer following his release from Manchester City after being handed a prison sentence for assault. It is believed that other clubs such as Watford, Reading and Cardiff have also been looking at him.
With regards to outgoing transfers, Israeli defender, Tal Ben-Haim has been told he no longer has a future at the south coast outfit with David Kitson being told the same. It looks as though Ferguson is attempting to lower the wage bill.

Ferguson to meet the media
Following the arrival of manager Connor Ferguson, Chief Executive David Lampitt has scheduled a press conference for Ferguson.
Aaron McLeod - Footbal League Paper 'Firstly, I would like to congratulate you on your appointment'
Ferguson 'Thankyou'
Aaron McLeod - Football League Paper 'So you have been here for a day or so now and have taken your first training session, have you yet decided on who is in your plans and who isn't?'
Ferguson - 'Everyone will get a chance to show me what they can do. Obviously we are tight on cash, so I may be forced to sell players in order to bring others in'
Aaron McLeod - Football League Paper 'How involved do you intend to be in the day-to-day running of the club?'
Ferguson 'I haven't been bought in to just manage a team, I'm here to have a say on how I think we can go forward as a club, so to answer your question, I intend to be involved in as much as possible'
Neil Allen - The News 'Being a life-long fan, it must really be a dream come true for you?'
Ferguson 'To be honest with you Neil, I can't stop smiling, it really is an honour'
Neil Allen - The News 'We've already heard about a few deals regarding to transfers, but will there be a lot of ins and outs?'
Ferguson 'I don't intend to make any drastic changes if that's what you mean'
Stephen Gamblen - officialpfc 'The past regime often played a defensive and rather boring style of football. What will you be encouraging?'
Ferguson 'I will encourage a free-flowing, attacking game in which Portsmouth fans will really feel they've got their money's worth'
Stephen Gamblen - officialpfc 'And finally Connor, What are your expectations this season?'
Ferguson 'We've got to be realistic, and with our small squad, we'll be aiming for a top half finish and possibly sneak the play-offs'

That Concludes the press conference

Thanks mate. I'm kind of a newbie here so was just wondering how do I actually include screenshots from my game? :s N00b question lol

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2012-discussion/88278-how-take-screenshot-guide.html

Thats Raikans guide to screenshots.

Will be interesting to see how much you get for Ben Haim, but good luck getting rid of Kitson! I can never get any offers for him and he just sits in my reserves on 20K a week.

Have you thought of getting Darwin Quintero? He's a beast in the Championship and can really step it up in the prem too.

Also here's a thread you could take a look at for a few hints on stories: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2012-stories/88002-story-help-advice-thread.html

Last edited:
Okay, cheers for that.
Yeah I always struggle to sell Kitson and Ben Haim and tend to end up just giving Ben Haim away whilst Kitson sits there..
I usually b uy Quintero but I need to look towards securing Premiership players

Portsmouth have a 'Fine' pre-season
Guy Whittingham, attacking coach and former Fratton favourite, has said Portsmouth have had some 'encouraging' results during pre-season and has identified his team as 'one to watch'.
Guy said, 'We've had a fine pre-season and look as though we could make a challenge at the higher end of the table. The boss (Connor Ferguson) has fitted in now and has gotten his feet under the table. We've improved dramatically on our attacking side of our game and on our defensive side. There's a lot to come from us.'
Guy Whittingham was speaking just days before Portsmouth kick off their Championship season with a tough game away at Cardiff. Both managers, Malky Mackay and Connor Ferguson make their debuts in the dugout although Mackay is the man with the most experience having been at Watford last season.

Portsmouth announce signing of Jlloyd Samuel
Portsmouth have snapped up Jlloyd Samuel on a free transfer. Samuel had been a free transfer since his Bolton contract ran out in July and is said to be happy to be back in football. Samuel snubbed a contract offer from Burnley in favour of the south coast outfit. View attachment 218356

Cardiff V Portsmouth
Connor Ferguson's first game in charge was against a strong Cardiff City side and I'm sure he would have been extremely pleased with a draw before the game. In the First half, Portsmouth were playing an attacking 4-2-4 formation which looked risky as Cardiff were in control. Portsmouth were somewhat lucky to go in level at the break with the score at 0-0.
And, following the change in formation (from 4-2-4 to 4-2-3-1) and a tactical substitution which saw Kelvin Etuhu replaced by captain Liam Lawrence, Portsmouth were the first to score. On the 48th minute and some nimble footwork and a deft pass from Luke Varney, none other than Liam Lawrence was there to smash the ball in from 12 yards. However, the lead was only short lasted when a some what dubious penalty was awarded on 53 minutes and Peter Whittingham converted. A quick reply from Pompey just 2 minutes later saw David Norris unleash a thunderous drive from 20-yards which sailed into the goal. The scoring wasn't over yet though, and on 83 minutes, Kenny Miller fired a loose ball into an empty net after some good work by Craig Conway. 2-2. It looked as though it was going to be a draw but when Norris picked the ball up from halfway on 90+1 minutes and sent through Benjani, there was only one outcome, goal. A great result and a great start for Ferguson.
Here's the pick of the goals;
<span style="color:#0000ff;"><font size="4"><font size="2">[video=youtube;Yg3xeM0ghM4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg3xeM0ghM4[/video]

Final Score:Cardiff City 2-3 Portsmouth
Man of the match: David Norris (POR)
Goals: Cardiff City - Whittingham, Miller
Portsmouth - Lawrence, Norris, Benjani

Portsmouth v Yeovil
It was never going to be a great game with Portsmouth fielding a weakened side and Yeovil being, well...Yeovil? The home team ran out 2-0 winners on this occasion with both goals from Erik 'The Viking' Huseklepp. So not a great game from a neutrals view nevertheless, Ferguson's 100% record continues.

Back