Please help me get started - some 'basic' questions

andysonofbob

Reaction score
Please be patient my total lack of FM wisdom as well as my limited knowledge of football. I have searched a number of forums but it assumes people have considerable football and/or FM knowledge where my ken is limited at best.

I am very much a gamer and I enjoy range of genres particuly those with depth which involve a degree of micro management e.g. the Civs, Total War games, SC2 and I am looking forward to the new Xcom! Some of my students and a PE teacher I car-share with love FM so I snatched it up when it was on offer on Steam. I thought it would be easy. Wrong. I am astonished how cerebral FM is!

I simply have no idea where to start. What are the priorities? Every aspect of FM looks equally vital to me!

Tactics:
Sort of sussed this bit out and it is quite enjoyable picking the right player for the position. I can also use the forums to see which attribute suit each position. But could someone post a linky to a reliable set up for my club please? I am playing Blue Square Prem (is that right?) Cambridge by the way...

Training:
How do I know if my players are in training? On the bottom of the training page I had about 5 players listed at the bottom. I removed them and couldn't get them back. Does that mean nobody is in training? Also, does it mean only a few players can train at one time?

Assistant Manager:
What can I assign to the AM and should I take his reports/ratings/suggestions as gospel?

Captains:
How do I assign captains/vicecaptains. I removed the captain status and could put it back on my player. The game wouldnt let me assign VC status to anyone but there was one before I messed it up.

Any help is gratefully received and many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Tell Raikan this on the Ask Raikan Thread, he'll helpa lot. And I think you should definetly start as an easier team in the premier league if your just starting

Hey mate and welcome to the forum!

About the tactics, from my experience the best way to go in the lower leagues is a simple 4-4-2. You can easily create one yourself but just remember not to have to complicated instructions or roles. What I mean by simple is something like this:

Poacher (Att) - TM (Spp)
Winger (Att) - - - - - - - - -Winger (Att)
CM (Df) - CM (Att)
FB (Auto) - CB - CB - FB (Auto)
GK

If you are still having problems then you can download a tactic from here : Tactics - Downloads - Football Manager 2012 Tactics, Wonderkids & Cheats

Thanks for the prompt replies! I will try out the suggestions and the link looks great.

Would be really greatful if someone could tell me what I did wrong with the training and captains

Thanks again!

Thanks for the prompt replies! I will try out the suggestions and the link looks great.

Would be really greatful if someone could tell me what I did wrong with the training and captains

Thanks again!

No problem mate, if you want to choose your captains just go to the tactics screen and click on "Captains", it is next to "Penalty takers"

It is hard to say that you did wrong with the training but you probably have it filtered, just click on "Show filters" and make sure you have the "All schedules" box crossed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help - again!

*groan

I have just looked at the tactics tutorial, there is a bit in there about training, assigning a captain etc!
I think I am getting there as I am beginning to know what it is I need to know... :)

Back