Retraining a player to completely different position..

Falcon 09

Reaction score
Hello people, sorry if this might sound like a daft question to you more seasoned players, however i have no idea as i have only ever re-trained a player from an 'accomplished' level to a 'natural' in position ..so If i want to train a player to a new position and he doesn't even have a star, or at best half a star, can i still get him to a decent level in a totally new position? Sorry if all that did not make much sense, its just I want to retrain a player to the libero role but hes naturally a centre mid, hes got 3 star as a midfielder, and half a star in libero. His attributions suggest he could play the role well though, so i wasn't sure if its just a half a star because he has never played that position let alone role? Once again sorry if none of this made much sense, I've just confused myself reading it back :p

If you train him effectively then he can be a good Libero. It is possible that he may never be as good as he is in CM but he won't be far off. Imo, number one rule is to play him in the Libero position whist training him. It is all well and good having him train to play there, but if he is not getting the experience on the pitch too, then it will take longer and he will not be as good when he actually plays there. Also, don't just have him train as a sweeper, train his as role>libero. Out of interest, who is the player, what is the team and what formation are you playing?

It can definitely be done. On FM12 I had a regen who was Natural DMC & Accomplished MC, nothing else. He had great stats to be a full back, and I was lacking in youth players in that area so trained him as a RB.
He was very young so seemed to train quickly, as soon as he went to Awkward I was lucky and he started getting games at RB for my reserves. I wasn't managing them, but because his stats were good for such a young age it decided to play him there anyway. Then I was putting him on the bench for first team games and giving him some time at RB when I was winning.
He reached an accomplished level and I was playing him there regularly by the time I stopped playing the save, and was a 4.5* DMC prospect and (I think) 3.5* at RB, at only 19. So with more experience he'd probably get even better.
Try it out, certainly worked well for me, and I'm sure is the same on this year's game.

Yes it can be retrained,specially with a high determination. And it may eventually get to natural,though it does take quite a while.