Poor defence?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mohawk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 2K

Mohawk

Reaction score
Unsure if this is the right place to put this, if not then I apologise.

FM 2012 noob here, I'm playing with Borussia Dortmund and in my first season I won the league conceding the least amount of goals of any first division side, my defenders were pretty good and one of them even made 11 goals, all from headed corners, with the win and increased transfer budget I decided to bring in a few nice new defenders however its been a disaster.

I slipped as low as 11th and I'm now in march sitting in 6th and I've already conceded over double the goals I did last year, I'm using the exact same formation (4-1-2-2-1) as the previous year and playing with "Control" so I don't feel they are overextending, I cant figure out why they are performing this badly. Almost every single game I concede one or two goals in exactly the same way.

It happens as follows:

I lose the ball, usually in midfield

qFwF7.jpg

They seem to easily run around or pass the ball through my FB

ATrVR.jpg

Then it gets crossed in and they score

VQfJd.jpg

I really don't know why this is happening, it probably happened only 4-5 times last season whereas this season its literally the bulk of the goals I am getting scored against me, the defenders are statistically better than what I had last season, I've had them working on teamwork and defence positioning pre-game and it doesn't seem to make any difference, I was knocked out of every cup because of this and even lost to the team who was bottom of the league on a 16 match losing streak this way, I was winning 1-0 and they scored twice within 5 minutes and both were identical situations (except opposite sides of the pitch)

I just found out that language may be causing some problems with my players too, I didn't actually realise bringing players in who cant speak the native language can cause problems, do you think this is the cause of it? 3 of my defenders don't speak German yet, one is Argentinian, one is Italian and one is French, the GK only speaks basic German, could it really be causing all these problems?

You completely changed your defence in 1 year?

Well there is your problem, changing your squad so quickly ruins the team chemistry and since communication is such a difficulty that only compounds the error.

Why did you make so many changes anyway, Dortmund's defence is good.

Have you brought in the worlds slowest defenders? Maybe that is your problem. Drop your defensive line deeper and maybe change their mentality and creative freedom a bit to make sure they don't just walk off, also I'd recommend switching to man marking, and possibly using tight marking for your CB's at least.. It looks like your team is playing some kind of retarded zonal game that just allows strikers to walk past them.. Obviously I'm judging this from three screen shots so I could be wrong!

You have obviously disrupted your back-four, maybe it is a language thing [I don't know how much impact that has on your teams performance] but it seems like you've brought in defenders who don't fit the roles your defenders were playing previously. Out of curiosity, who exactly did you replace Dortmund's defence with? It's pretty awesome already.

You completely changed your defence in 1 year?

Well there is your problem, changing your squad so quickly ruins the team chemistry and since communication is such a difficulty that only compounds the error.

Why did you make so many changes anyway, Dortmund's defence is good.

It was but I wanted to try make it better and I got an offer for Subotic that I couldn't refuse, I replaced him with Otamendi and brought in Rajkovic as a backup, I got offers for Hummels but I couldn't part with him, he is too good. Piszczek got injured and was out for 3 months and then got injured against shortly after coming back for 8 months so I was forced to bring in another, got Friedrich basically for free and he did okay but he is getting on a bit and was inconsistant so I started alternating him with Crescenzi. Still using Schmelzer although he got injured also and Renzetti was playing a lot.

I finished the second season now and I managed to improve quite a lot in the final 2 months, lost 3 games and won 11. They all speak German now and I managed to move up to 3rd in the table, but unfortunately in the final division game (which I lost) Schalke managed to get into 3rd by a single point, after the terrible start finishing 4th wasn't so bad, also beat Bayern in the German Cup final 3-1 and they beat me easily both times in the season so that was a positive to finish on.

Finished the season with 32 wins, 13 draws, 11 losses.

They seem to be playing a lot better together now, I still grit my teeth and think "oh boy here we go" when I see somebody running down the flank but Hummels or Otamendi seem to be there intercepting it now. I guess they just needed a long settling in period, we'll see what next season holds. Oh and I did have them set as Man Marking but they always seemed to be way off their mark.

hey look at ur aml not tracking back what id do is make the aml mark the amr and vica verca at the start of the game and opposition instructions

Back