Portsmouth to apply for Europe

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 2K

Mike.

Reaction score
Breaking News on BBC SPORT

Portsmouth will appeal to FA to retrospectively apply for European club licence for next season...

article from www.sportinglife.com

http://www.sportinglife.com/footbal...STORY_NAME=soccer/10/04/12/manual_121738.html

" Portsmouth are planning to appeal to the Football Assocation in a bid to secure a UEFA club licence to play in Europe next season.
In booking their place in the FA Cup final against Chelsea, the relegated outfit qualified for European competition next season.
However, due to their dire financial plight it is unsure if Pompey will be allowed to take their place in the Europa League.
With Chelsea certain to qualify for next season's Champions League, it means Portsmouth are entitled to claim the Europa League place usually awarded to the FA Cup winners.
But with the club in administration, they are not allowed to apply for a required UEFA licence.
However, Portsmouth administrator Andrew Andronikou has indicated they will appeal to the FA in a bid to be awarded the authorisation to allow them to play in Europe next term."

I know this will help us financially, but really, how far are we going to get at the possible cost of survival in the Championship?

If Cardiff won the FA Cup in 2008,they wouldn't have been given the chance.

Not to be rude,but neither should Portsmouth and plus,it would be a waste of time for them and an unnecessary distraction,seeing as they will be in the Championship next season.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

I'm not saying that they don't deserve it,but it just wouldn't be a good thing to do.

The F.A. Cup should even be a grant to European football anyway,not even if a BSP club won it.

it all depends of what happens over the summer, but its worth going for., at the very least, you could always field a reserve side and crash out

Dunno' Max, could possibly increase the chance of a possible take over?

it all depends of what happens over the summer, but its worth going for., at the very least, you could always field a reserve side and crash out

But wouldn't that be investigated by UEFA like when Man Utd faced Wolves and they fielded a really poor side?

Will they be able to afford to travel in Europe? Will just add more debt to their current problems.

Was Cardiff possibly not being let in due to them being a Welsh team in an English League as opposed to them being a lower division team?

Dunno' Max, could possibly increase the chance of a possible take over?
Possibly, the debts aren't even that bad though, apparently under £20m now so a takeover could easily happen anyway.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

But wouldn't that be investigated by UEFA like when Man Utd faced Wolves and they fielded a really poor side?
Lots of teams have fielded weakened teams in the Europa League in previous years, nothing has happened to them.

Will they be able to afford to travel in Europe? Will just add more debt to their current problems.

And you would think the money coming from being in European football would cushion that..

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Agreed that the Portsmouth debts aren't Chester City bad..

well bolton used to field weakened sides in europe, and UEFA arent as ridiculosly short sighted as the FA, but thats for another time. THink its hard to determine whether its good or bad for pompy since so much could happen over the summer

depends how far they qualify. You dont get much money from the qualifying round.

True,it's only when you reach the group stages of the tournament when the green starts to roll in (H)

If you win the qualifying round you get about £300k or something for winning each game of the 2 leg's, so you could end up with £600k, and I think you get about another £500k for qualifying for the groups. So it's possible to end up with around £1.1m from it.

They were talking about it on Sky Sports News when Pompey beat B'ham.

if they "do a Newcastle" and have a really strong team in the championship then it would be good for them as it would increase the chance of a serious takeover. And if its in the FA cup rules that the winner gets euro qualification then pompey should be allowed.

I think they should be allowed, it seems completely harsh and unfair that they qualify for the europa league and not be allowed to play in it. It'll definitely help with their debts, a nice tidy lump sum of tv dosh aswell as the sponsor money and all other financial benefits that come from playing in europe, UEFA and the FA need to give Pompey a chance to fight!!!!!

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

depends how far they qualify. You dont get much money from the qualifying round.

Maybe so but you know what they say............Every little helps.

If you win the qualifying round you get about £300k or something for winning each game of the 2 leg's, so you could end up with £600k, and I think you get about another £500k for qualifying for the groups. So it's possible to end up with around £1.1m from it.

They were talking about it on Sky Sports News when Pompey beat B'ham.

If they win those first two qualifying games. All the players are up for sale now and most will be gone. Its a shame but cant see Portsmouth progressing past that round with the players that will come in. They might though, which will suprise me. ****** suprised me with the result yesterday.

If they win those first two qualifying games. All the players are up for sale now and most will be gone. Its a shame but cant see Portsmouth progressing past that round with the players that will come in. They might though, which will suprise me. ****** suprised me with the result yesterday.
Never know, might draw some god awful team and scrape through, but then again there aren't that many terrible teams that qualify for it.

If you draw Polonia Warsawa,their goalkeeper is beast.

Just saying (A)

Back