Potential Drops

Thomas Ziemer

Reaction score
Hi Everybody I am a little new to Football manager, but I am currently managing Tottenham and I bought a lot of young players including Zhakarria Bhakali from PSV. He had a potential of 4 and a half stars. I sent him on loan to Peterborough and he broke his collarbone. Now it lists his potential as only 3 stars. Is there a way I can raise his potential again? I really appreciate any help I can get.

How old is he? Young players normally can regain PA over time when they start training again unless it is a really bad injury and they are out for a really long time like 6 months or more.

I don't know if you realise but star rating is based on how good the player is compared to others in your squad. This means that if you have bought new players in his position while he was away that are better quality his star rating will drop because he is not as good compared to the new player than he was to the existing player.

To be honest, just ignore the star rating.
Scouts are like the judges of tallent competitions, they think they know what they are talking about becase they've seen a few stars but you're the mamanger, the numero-uno, make that player great! :P

PA CANNOT CHANGE However, the star rating (and this is what alot of people don't know and get confused) is based on players you already have at the club. So for example, if you only had Adebayor and Defoe as your strikers, and you had a 5 star potential striker, but then you bought Cavani, Falcao, someone who is better than Adebayor or Defoe, then the 5 star potential striker would drop, as it is now based on the fact you have the new, better striker!

Basically, the star rating is not based on how high/good the players potential is, as most people think, but how high it is in comparison to your current players! (That's why when you are managing in the lower league you get alot of 4/5 star rated players who are not actually that good!

PA CANNOT CHANGE However, the star rating (and this is what alot of people don't know and get confused) is based on players you already have at the club. So for example, if you only had Adebayor and Defoe as your strikers, and you had a 5 star potential striker, but then you bought Cavani, Falcao, someone who is better than Adebayor or Defoe, then the 5 star potential striker would drop, as it is now based on the fact you have the new, better striker!

Basically, the star rating is not based on how high/good the players potential is, as most people think, but how high it is in comparison to your current players! (That's why when you are managing in the lower league you get alot of 4/5 star rated players who are not actually that good!

So pretty much what i said ;)

However i think PA can change based on what Raikan has said

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2013-best-players/83183-complete-ca-pa-thread.html

Notes on PA:

The age in which a player reaches his full potential is up to different influencing factors. We need to take in consideration the standard of your facilities, your training schedules, the standard of your coaches, the amount of first team football the respective players gets and of course the actual difference between the CA and the PA. If he can improve a lot, then there is a high chance that he will.

Unlike CA, PA is generally a static figure that does not change once a game has been started. However if a player has a serious injury in the game their CA can decrease so much that they will never potentially be the player that they they could have been. PA is the maximum CA that a player can achieve and it is not possible for a player’s CA to ever surpass his PA. This system reflects well on real life, as a player who can be promising in real life may never reach his potential. It also helps to maintain a relative balance of player quality throughout the gameworld as time progresses.

So pretty much what i said ;)

However i think PA can change based on what Raikan has said

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2013-best-players/83183-complete-ca-pa-thread.html

Notes on PA:

The age in which a player reaches his full potential is up to different influencing factors. We need to take in consideration the standard of your facilities, your training schedules, the standard of your coaches, the amount of first team football the respective players gets and of course the actual difference between the CA and the PA. If he can improve a lot, then there is a high chance that he will.

Unlike CA, PA is generally a static figure that does not change once a game has been started. However if a player has a serious injury in the game their CA can decrease so much that they will never potentially be the player that they they could have been. PA is the maximum CA that a player can achieve and it is not possible for a player’s CA to ever surpass his PA. This system reflects well on real life, as a player who can be promising in real life may never reach his potential. It also helps to maintain a relative balance of player quality throughout the gameworld as time progresses.

Oops lol :P To be fair though what you said to begin with isn't right... PA can't change, but injuries can prevent players from reaching it...

Back