Premier League on Collision Course with UEFA with fixture scheduling

• Thread starter Thread starter ajt09
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 978

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
The Premier League is on a collision course with UEFA over a European deal that domestic games should not clash with the Champions League. The Premier League has refused to sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) agreed between the European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL), arguing that playing domestic matches on European nights is sometimes unavoidable. UEFA claims the Premier League is still bound by the agreement but that is fiercely disputed with the league insistent UEFA has no right to decide when domestic games are played.

There is also concern at Premier League headquarters that UEFA has created extra fixture clashes since 2010 by spreading the round of 16 ties over four consecutive weeks.

Premier League communications director Dan Johnson said: "We have refused to sign the MoU because although we would never seek to go head-to-head with European games, sometimes it's inevitable. We don't believe UEFA have the right to say when domestic leagues can and can't schedule their fixtures, especially when UEFA have themselves increased the number of European nights by spreading out their match days and moving the Champions League final to a Saturday." Johnson added: "The EPFL may have accepted this but although we are a member of the EPFL we are not mandated by them to accept every policy."

[h=4]Disagreement[/h] However, UEFA's general secretary Gianni Infantino disagrees - insisting that the Premier League is obliged to abide by the memorandum. He said: "The EPFL signed it and the Premier League is a member of the EPFL and all members are bound by it - it is clearly stipulated." Premier League chairman Sir Dave Richards also serves as chairman of the EPFL but he was noticeable by his absence when the MoU was signed at UEFA's Congress in Istanbul in March.

Instead, the agreement was signed by Sergey Pryadkin, the president of the Russian Premier League.
Premier League matches have clashed with Champions League games in the past. The Merseyside derby between Liverpool and Everton in March was played on a Tuesday night when there were two Champions League games, after having been rescheduled due to Liverpool's involvement in the Carling Cup final.

(Sky Sports News)

Has anyone heard of this MoU thingy? As this is the first I've heard of it. And to be honest-it's ridiculous. UEFA want to screw up our fixture scheduling just to keep them happy? Smacks of yet, more arrogance. Basically, them seem to think that the Champions League overrides every other country's footballing calendar, regardless of how badly the fixtures will pile up. Well to be honest, they can do one. What about the fans of teams who aren't in Europe. They actually think they're going to care about the CL or EL? I wouldn't. It may be fun to watch Barca destroying everybody in their path with the help of officials for some, but not for me.

It's quite apparent that they've gone a bit power crazy now and are just taking the mick with this ****. The way I see it, UEFA don't have a right at all. Why should they? All they're doing is increasing their stranglehold on something that does not belong to them, and just don't give a **** or are too ignorant to consider the bigger picture.

I really don't see the problem that Premier League games won't be played two days a week. The EPL must be flexible.

I really don't see the problem that Premier League games won't be played two days a week. The EPL must be flexible.

Think it's more a case that we're not allowed to play domestic fixtures on the same night as a Champions League fixture, which I totally disagree with. I don't see why UEFA should control when our domestic fixtures are played

it's all a marketing ploy. They don't want armchair fans watching, for example Liverpool V Everton when they could be tuning into the Champions League.

Hearts had to re arrange a game with St Johnstone, which was supposed to be on sky and lost out on 70k, which might not be a lot for Premiership sides but it is for us.

it's all a marketing ploy. They don't want armchair fans watching, for example Liverpool V Everton when they could be tuning into the Champions League.

Hearts had to re arrange a game with St Johnstone, which was supposed to be on sky and lost out on 70k, which might not be a lot for Premiership sides but it is for us.

Exactly. I won't even hazard a guess with finances, as that's not my field and don't have figures etc. But like you said, £70k is a lot to lose for some clubs. I can't fathom why they can't see this. And to be honest, if my club isn't involved in the CL, and had our domestic fixture moved because of it, I'd be a bit livid. Yes I've enjoyed some CL games, but I'd always put my club above a major CL match. I'd just tape it and watch it lol

Firstly it's ridiculous that UEFA has moved the 1/4 finals of the Champions league over more and more weeks each year. This is just a ploy to get more revenue so they are throwing a hissy fit because the Premier League is standing up against it.

Obviously UEFA needs the money so asking Premiership games not to be played on a European night when say Chelsea are playing I can (kind of) understand because a lot of UK viewers will have some interest in it. But when its games like Real Madrid vs APOEL which are frankly boring if you don't support either because APOEL got trounced then it is pretty ridiculous of UEFA to be that petty about a small amount of potential viewers in the UK when the rest of Europe is probably watching that game.

Also I don't think that UEFA recognizes that fact that winters are becoming colder in the UK so more games are being called off due to snow and frozen pitches and this causes a backlog of fixtures which need to be completed and may actually have to be played on Tuesdays/Wednesdays later in the season.

What gets me though is why no other countries have also questioned this obvious agenda by UEFA to try and control the scheduling of domestic fixtures in all member countries? Maybe other leagues don't have many mid-week fixtures but this MoU still restricts their ability to do so if other factors dictate that they can't be played when they were originally scheduled.

Why should UEFA dictate when Premier League clubs can and can't play?

Think it's more a case that we're not allowed to play domestic fixtures on the same night as a Champions League fixture, which I totally disagree with. I don't see why UEFA should control when our domestic fixtures are played

Because the EPL signed the deal.

Back