Premier League rejects play-offs

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 1K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
The Premier League says it will not pursue the idea of a play-off for fourth place and the final Champion League spot.

More...

It was a stupid idea to begin with..

Thank god. It was a very stupid idea

Good. The playoffs in the below tiers are mad enough, and we didn't need an extra league with them.

yeah me too if ur good enough u will finish 4th not do stupid play offs to get in the champions league lol

what everyone else has said, thank god.

seems it wasnt just the big four against it

I think one of the bigger implications if this actually was implemented would be the fact our co-efficient could be lowered if the 7th position team somehow managed to always be the one to enter. Losing our 4th Champions League spot.

So say the 7th placed team won the playoff each year since 2004-05 the teams representing us would of included the top 3 as well as...

Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Bolton, Blackburn, and Fulham.

I'm probably just talking out of my rear but it's interesting.

Glad this has been rejected. Is as stupid as the 39th game and Gartside's idea of a two tier Premiership with no relegation from the second tier.

Seriously I haven't heard one person in favour of this. Glad it was rejected.

Last edited:
It was never gonna happen, the PL Chairmen would never accept such things, like the idiot Bolton Chairman's Phil Gartside two tier PL.

Don't know why teams not in the top 4 were against this CL easier extra revenue hmm... its a good thing though less games :)

I think one of the bigger implications if this actually was implemented would be the fact our co-efficient could be lowered if the 7th position team somehow managed to always be the one to enter. Losing our 4th Champions League spot.

So say the 7th placed team won the playoff each year since 2004-05 the teams representing us would of included the top 3 as well as...

Very good shout that Lee, teams like that-like Everton a few years ago sadly-would more often than not fail at the first qualifying stage, while currently Liverpool or Arsenal who finish 4th :P would (usually) go further

If you don't remember at the start of the century Newcastle were in the champions league pretty much every season in the late 90's early 00's. With the likes of Asprilla hattrick against Barca at St. James's, I think its unfair to compare the european history of those 5 clubs.

I wasn't comparing your European History, I was comparing your ability.

Back